Could The Twsbi Roc Be Offensive?

Ccdjr106

would the ROC 100 offend you?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. would the ROC 100 offend you?

i want to get the twsbi roc 100 but my mom thinks that it would be offensive to some of the exchange students at my school. She thinks that its like the 100th anniversary of communism in china. What do you guys think? Could someone possibly be offended by it? i dont even really want it for the ROC i just like the colors. also the ef version looks like its selling fast so my time is running out!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daniel0731ex

• RMN

• ExcaliburZ

• andybiotic

What... does everything we do have to pass some PC standpoint now...????

Can't we purchase something we like because we like it or do we now have to have our purchases OK'd by the PC Police to make sure someone is not offended by the color or the pen, or maybe the color of the ink we intend to use in that pen.....

If you like the pen, BUY IT... if someone does not like the color or thinks it makes some offensive political statement... too bad.... it is a pen

It does not have any political statement engraved on it that might offend someone...

Er... I thought it conmemorated the Republic of China (Taiwan), not the People's Republic of China (what we just call China).

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

The Republic of China (aka Taiwan) is not the People's Republic of China, and seems to be democratic.

Also, if I see a red, white, and blue pen in the USA (I assume that is where you are), I'm not jumping to Taiwan (or China).

No.

Don't give it too much thoughts.

Others will look at it and see a pen with colors. I bet that 100 out of 100 don't know anything about the idea of the pen. It's just a pen with a logo and some colors. Nothing else.

Greetings,

Michael

okay ill try to explain this to her. but considering that im 14 and she has the credit card..

Tell her it's commemorating democratic Taiwan, not communist China. That should clear things up and release the magic card number.

i want to get the twsbi roc 100 but my mom thinks that it would be offensive to some of the exchange students at my school. She thinks that its like the 100th anniversary of communism in china.

Actually, Chinese communists are about the only ones it might offend, as it celebrates the 100 year anniversary of the Republic of China (Taiwan, the democratic state), which the People's Republic of China (the communist state) refuses to acknowledge as legitimate.

But even if you've got a lot of mainland Chinese exchange students, chances are, like most people, they aren't going to be worrying too much about your pen. If they're anything like most exchange students I've know, they'll be too busy sorting out all the weird and wonderful experiences they're having to even spend half a second thinking about your pen. And on the off chance you encounter a hardcore, on message, fire breathing, Red Book toting, true believing, up and coming party member of an exchange student, he'll have found more than enough to by offended by long before he notices your pen.

It's a pretty pen. If you like it, buy it. Would I take it to Beijing with me? Likely not. But otherwise, don't sweat it.

Ryan.

Well, that pen could be in honor of many countries (look at the flag beneath my avatar..)

to name a few: UK, USA, Netherlands, France, Luxemburg etc...

If you fancy it: go for it.

(it does not tickle MY fancy, but that's beside the point)

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Actually, Chinese communists are about the only ones it might offend, as it celebrates the 100 year anniversary of the Republic of China (Taiwan, the democratic state), which the People's Republic of China (the communist state) refuses to acknowledge as legitimate.

But even if you've got a lot of mainland Chinese exchange students, chances are, like most people, they aren't going to be worrying too much about your pen. If they're anything like most exchange students I've know, they'll be too busy sorting out all the weird and wonderful experiences they're having to even spend half a second thinking about your pen. And on the off chance you encounter a hardcore, on message, fire breathing, Red Book toting, true believing, up and coming party member of an exchange student, he'll have found more than enough to by offended by long before he notices your pen.

It's a pretty pen. If you like it, buy it. Would I take it to Beijing with me? Likely not. But otherwise, don't sweat it.

Ryan.

What Ryan said, +10.

That is one of the reasons why I really dislike the designation--Republic of China-- because people see the word "China" they automatically disregard "Repubic of..." or "Taiwan" and refer straight to the communist country-- China.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

I'm a member of the Korean Presbyterian Church, and we have had members from North Korea as well as from communist China. The citizenry of these countries are not mired down in the politics of their leaders. Before Katrina, we had annual fund raising events to send rice and other staples to North Korea.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Don't worry about it. I would be very surprised if you bump into people who: 1. know what the pen is about; and 2. get offended about a fountain pen.

I've got one and it's really nice. Most comments will probably focus on the nice colours of the pen. Just go for it. :thumbup:

I doubt you'll get beat up during lunch for your red, white and blue pen.

It's an awesome pen, and if you want one, buy it. Since you're obviously not getting one for any political implications, then it's just a pretty (and very good writer) pen.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

your mother needs a history lesson.

cant believe no one has point out that the first communist revolution was in 1917 in Russia. Communism started in China in 1920 but the People's republic wasn't founded until 1949.

I might as well say a black and silver pen might offend people because it celebrates Darth Vader.

your mother needs a history lesson.

cant believe no one has point out that the first communist revolution was in 1917 in Russia. Communism started in China in 1920 but the People's republic wasn't founded until 1949.

I might as well say a black and silver pen might offend people because it celebrates Darth Vader.

I would love a Darth Vader pen!!

Too nerdy?

I use my pens to write in support of human rights around the world and I find plenty of things to get indignant about. This is not one of them! Having said that, it might be wise to not draw attention to the commemorative nature of the pen so as not to offend those of a different political viewpoint.