The Rare Ones

byrdmanojvk

Well, this is indeed a rare pen! — I am happy to have ever seen one of these Simplos before. I saw some similar pens from other brands, but never got a chance to get such a Simplo for my collection.

But this pen can't be from 1906 as the "Simplo Pen Company" started to produce pens not before 1908. And the first pens were safety fillers which were copies of the Moore pens with a sliding barrel shell. Pens with a rubber sack inside came later.

About the nib which is quite easy to date: Up to 1914 nibs were imported from Collins, New York. Even when the first production of nibs started in 1912 in Hamburg, nibs were continuous imported from Collins in America and Perry in England.

So I guess this pen was produced between 1910 and 1914 to test a safer and cleaner filling system as it was with the first safety fillers, but obviously it wasn't very successful. It lasted until 1922 when Montblanc launched their first lever filler pens.

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Azuniga

• mase001

• fountainpende

• siamackz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sumit,

The barrel imprint is: The Simplo Filler, second line Pat. Aug 2... impossible to read the rest. Now I can guess is 1912 or something like that but is all gone.

penparadise,

Thank you for the information, I should have written "when penparadise correct me" I knew you would know...

I have two of those 'copies' of Moore with a sliding barrel shell with the coral red cap head, one larger and one shorter, and also one with a green cap head with an imprint J.P. Paillard, so most probable distributed by Paillard in France.

Ariel,

it looks like we have to ad something new to the history of Montblanc!

Here's one quite rare pen, some say it's more rare in size 6 than 8 but don't know if it's true.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q732/Kawuska/PL_zps5khlxe9p.jpg

Kawusca

Every MB collector wants one, either 126 PL or 128 PL and if they are not rare they are very uncommon... a really beautiful pen, enjoy it !

Regards, Ariel

• 2 weeks later...

Kawusca

Every MB collector wants one, either 126 PL or 128 PL and if they are not rare they are very uncommon... a really beautiful pen, enjoy it !

Regards, Ariel

Sweet pen, well scored!

Early The Simplo Filler, I do not know how rare it is, but I had never seen one before.

I believe is c. 1906 but someone knowing more about it will correct me if wrong.

It has a bar inside the barrel, I installed the missing sac and it writes pretty well.

There is a hole in the barrel to push with the fixed extension on the cap to fill it. Similar system to the one used by Waterman with a coin.

fpn_1489094911__sim1.jpg

fpn_1489094939__sim2.jpg

fpn_1489094969__sim3.jpg

fpn_1489095004__sim4.jpg

fpn_1489095031__sim5.jpg

I have two very similar pens made from exact same hard rubber. They are not matchstick fillers like yours but otherwise have the same shape, section profile etc. One is a Chanceller and the other is a Pacific, and both have gold nibs with the matching imprints, I believe both are sub brands of Mont blanc. Edited by Baroz

Sorry, Baron, but I've never heard about a Montblanc sub brand named Chancellor or Pacific.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,

That is ok, I am very familiar with these pens and they are without question Montblanc.

See this link on Tom Westerich's website to a Chancellor pen that is identical to my one save that mine is an eyedropper, not a lever filler. http://www.penboard.de/shop/hlist/MB/VIPW/0?setla=de

You need to scroll down about half way so I have copied the relevant section below. But its worth reviewing the website for the photos.

''This is a rare example of a Montblanc subbrand pen. The pen is imprinted CHANCELLER on the barrel, and the nib is an original Montblanc nib, a type used for subbrand pens.
These pens as BHR already are rare - as a red mottled Hard rubber pen, the pen is most rare and valuable.
Restored to full working condition, cap lip has been replaced with original montblanc red mottled material. Verkäufer Penboard_Tom Artikelnummer 04091 Marke Montblanc Modell The CHANCELLER no. 1 F red mottled ebonite leverfiller Jahr 1930 System hebelfüller, Farbe rotschwarzes Material hartgummi Zustand excellent, restored cap lip, no engravings, very good imprints Feder 14 K nib, no. 1 size, original nib''.

The Pacific pen is a carbon copy of my Chancellor, same imprint used in lettering, nib style, same section, exact same hard rubber etc. No question about its origins.

Edited by Baroz

sumit,

The barrel imprint is: The Simplo Filler, second line Pat. Aug 2... impossible to read the rest. Now I can guess is 1912 or something like that but is all gone.

penparadise,

Thank you for the information, I should have written "when penparadise correct me" I knew you would know...

I have two of those 'copies' of Moore with a sliding barrel shell with the coral red cap head, one larger and one shorter, and also one with a green cap head with an imprint J.P. Paillard, so most probable distributed by Paillard in France.

Pleas, please share photos of the Moore style Simplo pens, a group photo would be more than enough, capped and uncapped :)

Pleas, please share photos of the Moore style Simplo pens, a group photo would be more than enough, capped and uncapped :)

Baroz,

I will include images as soon as back home, I am travelling right now.. Koln next Saturday then Mexico

... I am travelling right now.. Koln next Saturday then Mexico

I hope we will see us in Cologne. Will you be at the pre-meeting at the Falderhof on Friday evening?

Edited by penparadise
Axel

I hope we will see us in Cologne. Will you be at the pre-meeting at the Falderhof on Friday evening?

Yes, I will see you there...

Baroz,

I will include images as soon as back home, I am travelling right now.. Koln next Saturday then Mexico

Thank you, kind Sir!

Thank you, kind Sir!

As promised, here are the three early Simplo with the Moore filling system. Left to right:

1. 142 mm closed… nib: Simplo pen Co 6 New York; prints: 166 f. On the cap: D.R.G.M.
  2. 122 mm closed… nib: Simplo Pen Co. 2 New York; prints: 122 f. 18 k LGUE (I assume Longue). On the cap: Imported, Rouge et Noir, Pat. Appl’d, On the sliding barrel: J.M. Paillard (Undoubtedly imported to France by Paillard)
  3. 122 mm closed… nib: Simplo Pen Co 1 New York, prints: m. and in the sliding barrel “avion”

The first two have a read cap head and the last one a small green dot.

fpn_1491584532__s2.jpg

fpn_1491584496__s1.jpg

fpn_1491584566__s3.jpg

:notworthy1: You have my deep respect.

Axel

Thank you so much for sharing the photos, Ariel. These are amazing pens, truly collector's grade pieces. I simply (simplo) love them!

Dear Ariel, do advise where you found each one! Pen show, ebay, flea market? Especially with the green cap top version, how on earth would you uncover such a pen based on the imprints alone?!

Also, did you find anything special in Koln?

Dear Ariel, do advise where you found each one! Pen show, ebay, flea market? Especially with the green cap top version, how on earth would you uncover such a pen based on the imprints alone?!

Also, did you find anything special in Koln?

Pen shows, I know the sellers and some of them know what I am looking for... I am always telling collectors to go to pen shows...

Köln was a great experience, it is a small show but you find there pens you do not see anywhere else... and there are so many !

I found this MB

Meisterstück 27 1/2, I do not know if it is rare or only uncommon but I have never seen one before

fpn_1492090926__27a.jpg

fpn_1492090950__27b.jpg

fpn_1492090976__27c.jpg

It is a rare pen. Congratulations! Looks like it is in a great condition too.

The # "27 1/2" followed the model # 25 in Spring or Summer 1934 and was followed by the # 124 in Autumn 1934. So the stamp "27 1/2" was only used for a very short time. They all (20, 25, 27 1/2 and 124) have the same size but as up to 1934 the model number also was the retail price, Montblanc had to change the numbers when they increased the price.

Can you make a picture of the nib please? It should have either a "M"(in a circle) nib or a two-tone nib.

My records are not quite clear about the exact dates but I'm pretty sure that I'm not too wrong. ;)

Axel

Another nice find! But the R ET N are the ones that have captivated my imagination!

I've had a 22 1/2 and a 17 1/2 before, both in burgundy, but never in black and pearl.

I need to go to more pen shows! Hamburg may be next for me..