Wahl Eversharp Interchangable nibs

Wahlnut

Margana mentioned wanting to learn more about the interchangeable Wahl-Eversharp Personal-Point nibs.

From Wahl's earliest days (after acquiring the Boston Pen Company*) Wahl, as did other pen manufacturers offered a variety of nibs for their pens. These nibs came pre-installed at the factory. If a person wanted a special nib, however, they would either order it from the factory or buy their pen from a dealer who stocked a variety of loose nibs AND had the ability to make the change for them. To do so meant dis-assembling the pen, removing the sac, knocking out the factory installed nib and feed, replacing the nib with the desired nib, re-installing the nib and feed, setting the nib and feed properly, installing a new sac and re-assembling the pen. Pains the dealers did not relish, I would imagine. This is confirmed by the comments surrounding the introduction of the Personal Point interchangable system that were printed in the dealer newsletters heralding this improvement.

Here is a page from the Wahl-Eversharp catalog from 1919 showing the nib choices available at that time:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/scan0001.jpg

The image shows what was availavbe for a number 2 size pen. There was a similar array for #'s 4 and 6 nibs/size pens.

Then in 1928 Wahl began to market their personal Point system. It involved a Person-Point unit - a nib and feed, factory set in a threaded collar that screwed into (and out of) the mating pre-threaded section. See here:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/Equi-Poised4.jpg

Now even the least skilled dealer could pop a new Personal Point unit into any pen that was made for it at the point of sale. These Personal Points were available in the "top of the line" pens (the Gold Seal Lifetime Guarantee pens) and were used for the Gold Seal Flat tops, the Equi-Poised and the Doric pens models. In all the Persoanl Point was a strong selling feature from 1928 through at least 1934.

This was a "win-win" for the dealer and the consumer. The dealer could stock a smaller inventory of pens and still satisfy his customer's needs for the pen point that suited the hand of the customer. Previously the dealer had to either go through the labor mentioned above to satisfy the customer or have a large amount of $$ tied up in inventory composed of many pens in a variety of point styles to be sure to have one on hand to match what a particular customer wanted. It may also have been a long term "win" for Wahl, by keeping dealers happy and staying with Wahl as their supplier.

The Personal Point system fell away after the introduction of the Adjustable Nib. More on that later.

* There is some debate about just how Wahl acquired The Boston Pen Company or its assets. Some say they purchased Boston Pen Company. Some say they only purchased the assets. Others say they purchased only some or most of the assets. Some say that the Moore Pen Company also bought some Boston Pen assets. Wahl did end up with the patents some if not the majority of the machineryand the designs. Either way, the Tempoint Pens first introduced under the Wahl banner, were identitical in most respects including the model numbering system, to the Boston Pens.

Syd the Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doctorcornelius

• DWL

• Maja

• Wahlnut

Very interesting! Thank you for the "tutorial", Syd (I love learning new stuff about pens :D )

I have an interest in Wahl "All-Metal" pens and in re-reading Jim's Penhero.com article on them, I was a bit surprised to see that by 1929 (the last yr. of production), these pens were offered with Personal Point nibs too! I checked all of my All-Metal pens but, sadly, none of them has a PP nib :(

Speaking of Personal Points. I finished working on a customers today.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DennisLively/100_0861.jpg

This is an awesome pen. Yeah it's seriously discolored but honestly thats the only thing wrong with it. No brassing to speak of and OMG :drool: what an incredible writer! Fine line w/ no pressure & if you breathe on it hard it flexes to a BB plus. I'm seriously thinking I need to talk the owner out of this one..lol. I REALLY like it.

(Subtle Jedi hand wave :blink: :ph34r: )

Jon,

Ignore this post, you don't want this pen. Trade it to me....

Dennis

Hey Dennis,

What post? I didn't see any post...;)

Odd to see my pen up there onscreen! 'Say, nice pen...hmm, looks familiar...hey, that one's mine!" I'm very much looking forward to trying it out.

Between this one and my little black-and-gold Demi, I feel like I'm getting an awful lot of attention over here on the Wahlboard. A strange sensation for an avowed Sheaffer guy.

Cheers,

Jon

Thats a Personal Point nib marked Flexible.

With no pressure it's a fat fine line & when you "get into the flex" it's a fat BB. Wet & smooth.

Yeah I'm going to miss this nib after it hits the mail.

Dennis

Thanks for that, Dennis. "Oh, Baby" indeed! Definitely droolworthy.

I'll look out for one of those...

Nick

Boozo Ergo Sum

• 1 month later...

Hi Syd,

Could you post a more detailed picture of the page from the 1919 catalogue? I can't quite make out the fine print. And how about the second page of the spread as well?

George.

:ph34r:

rhrpen(at)gmail.com