Anyone Have The M1000 With 3B Nib?

SamCapote

Wondering how it performs. I got the most delicous note from Mr Yoshino-san, the Japanese notebook custom maker where he used that pen/nib wiith some R&K Old Golden Green. Stunning.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• pajaro

• SamCapote

• dcpritch

I don't have one, but I did get to try FPN member Leigh R's 3B M1000. It was filled with CdA Saffron and it was the widest nib I have ever handled. Smooth, soft writing feel but man, it lays down a WIDE line!

I also have one. It's absolutely wet, not a fire hose, though. It's very stubbish (~ 4:1), and smooth like an ice cube sliding on a hot car hood. It's one of the most flexible modern nibs. I can categorize it as a springy nib (almost a semi-flex nib, in my opinion). M1000 3B provides a very expressive writing. It's one of my three best pens. I'll writing something and post here tonight.

But beware of the O3B which is blobby and doesn't give a lot of line variation.

My O3B isn't blobby, but maybe I don't understand what you mean. When I write with mine, it just writes like any other big, wet pen. I am guessing you mean it leaves blobs of ink if you pause?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have a Pelikan Blue Planet LE (it's around M1000 size) and I have a 3B nib in it. I like a thicker line and this writes smoothly every time. Just have to use decent paper! Having said that I'm left handed - I've tried oblique nibs with no success and find that writing with a wider nib seems to suit me best.

I've got two M1000 as well, one from 1990 with a medium nib and a newer one with a BB nib - I can't get on with the medium but the BB is great, and I tend to carry it with me, whilst the Blue Planet sits on my desk at home.

Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

No. It doesn't have the crisp edge of my other large oblique nibs. As a result, it writes like any other large round nibbed pen, rather than giving the wonderful line variation I've come to expect in my obliques. A wet paintbrush as opposed to a chisel effect.

Nice and wet, good flow, holds a lot. I simply prefer an oblique to give me some line variation rather than writing like a round ball tip.

tried one but inkflow is too massive for me.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

No. It doesn't have the crisp edge of my other large oblique nibs. As a result, it writes like any other large round nibbed pen, rather than giving the wonderful line variation I've come to expect in my obliques. A wet paintbrush as opposed to a chisel effect.

Nice and wet, good flow, holds a lot. I simply prefer an oblique to give me some line variation rather than writing like a round ball tip.

I see. What you are talking about with line variation was what I was hoping for, but it is about minimal with this O3B. There is a lot of ink flow, but I found this nib in this pen surprrisingly controlable. I think I would rather have had this as a stub.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I see. What you are talking about with line variation was what I was hoping for, but it is about minimal with this O3B. There is a lot of ink flow, but I found this nib in this pen surprisingly controllable. I think I would rather have had this as a stub.

I had an M1000 O3B and it was much as you describe, with a VERY wet line and some line variation, but not as much as I had hoped for. I did like the flex, but in the end I sold the O3B nib and bought a BB nib, which I had ground to a stub by John Sorowka, and it is simply an amazing nib. The same flexiness you might expect from such a large 18k nib, and with perfect smoothness and line variation.

Here are a couple of photos I just took to show the BB stub:

fpn_1316200283__pelikan_m1000_bb_stub_nib.jpg

fpn_1316200343__pelikan_m1000_bb_stub_nib_1.jpg

I have on my M800 an OBB nib, which began as a BB which was then ground by John Mottishaw to an OBB; he prefers that to Pelikan's stock OBB, as he can get better line variation.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

... he used that pen/nib wiith some R&K Old Golden Green. Stunning.

Note to self, remember this pen and ink combo!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

I see. What you are talking about with line variation was what I was hoping for, but it is about minimal with this O3B. There is a lot of ink flow, but I found this nib in this pen surprisingly controllable. I think I would rather have had this as a stub.

I had an M1000 O3B and it was much as you describe, with a VERY wet line and some line variation, but not as much as I had hoped for. I did like the flex, but in the end I sold the O3B nib and bought a BB nib, which I had ground to a stub by John Sorowka, and it is simply an amazing nib. The same flexiness you might expect from such a large 18k nib, and with perfect smoothness and line variation.

Here are a couple of photos I just took to show the BB stub:

fpn_1316200283__pelikan_m1000_bb_stub_nib.jpg

fpn_1316200343__pelikan_m1000_bb_stub_nib_1.jpg

I have on my M800 an OBB nib, which began as a BB which was then ground by John Mottishaw to an OBB; he prefers that to Pelikan's stock OBB, as he can get better line variation.

Thank you very much for the photos and explanation. I think you are right about the BB stub, and that's probably the best direction. I can imagine a stubbed the O3B might be too much. I have a couple of BB stubs, Parker 51 and Montblanc 144, and I end up using them upside down for line variation. Still, this O3B is fun to use sometimes. Maybe it could be turned into a Cursive Italic. I am not entirely satisfied with the line variation from my other BB stubs.

Edited by pajaro

At some point in the future, I'm going to see what Mike Masuyama can do towards putting a sharper edge on my O3B. The flow is so glorious that I want to take advantage of it and get an oblique that acts like an oblique.

Here I did a video review of my 3B

http://www.fountainp...pelikan-videos/

and here same photos

http://www.fountainp...__fromsearch__1

That really looks beautiful. Here was the note I got from Mr. Yoshino-san on a 4x6" paper stock like he uses in his notebooks. This is very high quality, smooth, and very thin paper, and there is zero bleed through with this ink and 3B nib. Believe me it looks a lot more stunning in hand than my scanner can capture. He sent me this link review of the ink, which I already have but have never used it. Now I'm wondering between the 3B or O3B (and perhaps asking John @ Nibs.com to improve the oblique because of what Ghost Plane said) ???

Edit: I put link to full size scan so you can see the line variation/shading better.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Yoshinos.jpg

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 8 years later...

does anyone have sailor cross nib (or nay variant of the cross) so that i see a side by side comparison between the sailor and pelikan ?

Wow, this thread is back, almost 10 years later!

I don't have a Sailor Cross here with me, but I suspect the 3B is fatter. There's nothing else like it on my collection, save for the Pilot Parallels. It's 50%+ broader than a Sailor Music Nib.

DSC-9039.jpg

3776 + 4810.

I'm maintaining a comprehensive list of Iron-Gall inks. Contributions most welcome! bit.ly/irongall

I have a vintage Pelikan 500 in what I eyeball as OBBB with a 30 degree grind. Couldn't put the nib size on the piston cap as normal for that era, in there was a rolled gold sleeve on it. That was before they nib marked the nib size on the nib. That started in late '54. I have a transitional 400. They started nib marking with the 400n.

I can write my full legal name on one line........7, 4 and 8 letters with that OBBB, that's all!!!!

That would be 1/2 width thinner than modern.

I have a 1005 with a OBB nib which is quite fat enough for me.

I got at the same auction a W.Germany small 600 with an OBB . I can write with that, it is like an OB 1/2. But it is semi-vintage (& Vintage) are half a size narrower on the whole than modern.

I have a Manuscript in BBBB, which is only good for small word headings.

Do you have any modern fat BB nibs?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.