The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Sonnet Le Vermeil Crocodile

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:20

Another impulse buy. When will I learn, the last two have been problematic but this one has happily worked out well.

Posted Image

I am not usually one for bling but I have wanted a silver pen for some time and this one just appealed to me. It is a very beautiful, classic design without being over the top as all silver/gold pens can be. Vermeil is a means of plating silver with gold and in this case it is formed into a stylised crocodile skin. It is so stylised that I would never have known if it was not in the manufacturers description.

Posted Image

The pen is beautifully made and I cannot fault any area of it, a high quality pen. The only thought is that the plastic section looks slightly out of place and possibly could be better if made in silver like the rest of the pen. I was expecting a heavy pen but it is 31g with a full load of ink in the Parker converter, not too bad. Dimensions are the same as any other Sonnet.

Posted Image

The nib is the standard Sonnet 18K affair in two tone gold/rhodium, a match to the bodywork. It is medium width but writes a wet almost broad line with typical slight springiness. The nib is lovely and smooth without any work being done. The filling system is straight C/C and works reliably. It does take Parker cartridges as well. I would prefer a piston filler though.

The pen had a list price of $300 when it was sold in 2008. It is a UK pen, I know the shop where it was sold and they do not sell anything below list. I don't know the UK price but there is often a straight dollar equivalence. I paid £60 on ebay which I am happy with. I don't know the real value but a precious metal LE pen from a popular line like the Sonnet will probably appreciate in value over the years.

So do I like it, will I keep it. The answer is yes to both. It is the only LE pen that I have (and will probably always be) but it is just nice to have and nice to write with.

Scores:

Appearance & Design 9/10
Construction & Quality 10/10
Weight & Dimensions 9/10
Nib & Performance 9/10
Filling System & Maintenance 8/10
Cost & Value 8/10

Final score 53/60
My pen photo galleries - Reorganised

Sponsored Content

#2 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 19:31

very nice review!
thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#3 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2011 - 19:34

very nice review!
thanks!

Thank you for your kind comment. :)

#4 tuintu

tuintu

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2011 - 20:11

Very nice and illuminative review.

picture quality ignited me up because Sonnet is my favourite Parker series :puddle:
Verba volant, scripta manet...

Posted Image Posted Image

#5 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:55

i have always loved sonnets and almost bought one and still itch to buy one, if possible the cisele but the horrid thoughts of the nib skipping keeps me away somehow.

the plastic section will help you to get a better grip than vermeil.

your review is matter of fact and precise. the pen is beautiful, could you pls. post a writing sample?

rgds.

krishna.

Edited by akrishna59, 16 September 2011 - 03:56.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#6 Gerd W

Gerd W

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:50

Very nice and valuable looking pen, enjoy!

#7 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2011 - 16:34

looks solid and elegeant, congrats on the pen :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#8 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2011 - 20:48

i have always loved sonnets and almost bought one and still itch to buy one, if possible the cisele but the horrid thoughts of the nib skipping keeps me away somehow.

the plastic section will help you to get a better grip than vermeil.

your review is matter of fact and precise. the pen is beautiful, could you pls. post a writing sample?

rgds.

krishna.

I can't say that it has skipped, neither did another Sonnet that I had.

Here is a writing sample (Lamy blue ink):

Posted Image

#9 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:40

you are so kind, malcy.

rgds.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#10 Boston Brian

Boston Brian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 23:25

A really excellent review, a terrific pen, and you got a bargain. I love Sonnets, I have three, and am always on the look out for others.

#11 piembi

piembi

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:27

Nice review. And a beautiful pen! I was looking for a silver one myself but got a sterling silver 75 instead.

I do have a love and hate relationship with Sonnets. I do love the design and the soft nibs and cannot resist if I can get one for cheap but I really hate the non-writing specimens I have among them. It' a pity that the performance of the Sonnets varies from good to horrible.

#12 Malcy

Malcy

True Blue

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2011 - 18:06

Nice review. And a beautiful pen! I was looking for a silver one myself but got a sterling silver 75 instead.

I do have a love and hate relationship with Sonnets. I do love the design and the soft nibs and cannot resist if I can get one for cheap but I really hate the non-writing specimens I have among them. It' a pity that the performance of the Sonnets varies from good to horrible.

The 75 is a great pen too. I have a 1983 Jasper red quartz laque FP and BP that I have had from new. The nib is lovely, though for some reason I find the pen a little small today.

#13 saketb

saketb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2011 - 16:24

That's a beautiful Sonnet from Parker. The crocodile texture is eye catching.
A good review.
Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red
Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade
Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red
Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green
TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple
Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

Sponsored Content

|