Fountain Pen Friendly Index Cards - Any Current Available Sources?

cellmatrix

Greetings fellow index card fans!

Sorry to add to an older post, but the information here was quite timely for me. (I also read older posts in search of information; this is the most current thread).

I recently ran out of index cards and have been trying to find replacements that are suitable for fountain pens. I use both 3x5 and 4x6 for just about everything imaginable - notes from seminars and books, to-do lists, quick notes to colleagues and friends, sharing recipes, labeling notebooks and boxes and much more. When I find a brand I like, I tend to stock up.

I ordered a pack of Tops 3x5 (see image in post #20) and I have to wonder if perhaps they recently changed the paper or the finish?? The cards are not much thicker than good paper and ink feathers like crazy on them, even using a Pelikan XF. They feel like they may have sizing on the paper. Even my smoothest writers start to skip on them. Has anyone else experienced this?

I bought some Exacompta 4x6 cards for "special" uses and they are stiil as terrific as ever, but too expensive for my day-to-day uses (same thing goes for a box of Levenger cards I use sparingly.) I had several packs of unlined Oxford in both sizes that previously worked very well for me, but again, the cards I bought recently (fortunately only a single pack of each size) also feathered like crazy. Previously, I was able to use a lovely italic cursive on them with no feathering at all. Same thing with Ampad.

Apart from the great suggestion about finding a good card stock and making our own cards, does anyone have suggestions for other brands of pre-cut cards? Although I prefer unlined or grid, I'm desperate enough to use the back of lined cards if necessary. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

All the Best,

Gem

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cellmatrix

• GemMayhem

• macaddicted

• myyrkezaan

I was at my local Dollar Store and I purchased a pack of 100 3X5 index cards made by

INSPIRA with a bar code 34501525 (Made in Indonesia) for a whopping $1.00 each. So I purchased

a pack to give them a try and they work perfectly with FP's No bleed or feathering. I went back the next day

and bought the remainder of the packs that they had on hand on the shelf. I have been using them daily for

quite awhile and so far no problems. Who would have expected that quality from a Dollar store. Give them a try.

I have two brands of lined, 4x6 index card that were made in Indonesia: the "blue label" Tops as in post #40, and Roaring Spring "Paper Trail". I've tested both, so far, with 23 inks made by Carter's, Diamine, Hero, Higgins, J. Herbin, Namiki, Noodler's, Pelikan, Private Reserve, Sheaffer (U.S. & Slovenian), Visconti and Waterman, and none feathered or bled (including Waterman Violet).

I also have a couple of dollar store steno pads, again made in Indonesia, that perform beautifully with fountain pen, so maybe "Indonesia is the new Brazil".

Edited by Tweel

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Thank you for your suggestions! I especially like the idea that the Dollar Store might have exactly what I'm looking for. :thumbup: Thanks for the bar code, Merrib! I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the suggestions! :D

All the Best,

Gem

Just tried a new set of index cards that my sister-in-law had bought and they are better than any I've ever used (haven't used the expensive/fp friendly stated ones). They are plain and both sides are good, but one side is a bit better than the other, but I can't tell by looking. The front of the pack says 'Essentials by Home H+O Office' and has two companies listed: Nippecraft Limited and Paperich.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for all of the suggestions on fountain pen friendly index cards.

I have been visiting the office supply stores and departments whilst holiday shopping and tried a number of brands of index cards. The dollar stores in my area only stock Mead index cards, so I wasn't able to locate the above suggested cards. Today, however, I struck gold at Target (apologies to overseas FPN members). Target's private label ( recently rebranded as "up & up") index cards, made in the USA, have proven to be just what I have been looking for. Even with a 1.1mm wet italic nib, there is no feathering. :D

I have only tried the unruled (blank) 3x5 cards - the store also had ruled 3x5 and ruled 4x6. Here are links to the 3x5 cards on their website: blank 3x5 and ruled 3x5. The price is great, too, only $0.64 for 100 cards. These products are marked with the Sustainable Forestry Initiative logo.

The shoe box full of index cards not friendly to fountain pens is on its way to the primary school where I volunteer. In the end, a win-win. :D

I hope this helps. :D

All the Best,

Gem

Thanks for the tip. I'd noticed on my last trip to the local Target that Tops cards had been replaced with Up & Up, but haven't tried them yet.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Thank you very much for all of the suggestions on fountain pen friendly index cards.

I have been visiting the office supply stores and departments whilst holiday shopping and tried a number of brands of index cards. The dollar stores in my area only stock Mead index cards, so I wasn't able to locate the above suggested cards. Today, however, I struck gold at Target (apologies to overseas FPN members). Target's private label ( recently rebranded as "up & up") index cards, made in the USA, have proven to be just what I have been looking for. Even with a 1.1mm wet italic nib, there is no feathering. :D

I have only tried the unruled (blank) 3x5 cards - the store also had ruled 3x5 and ruled 4x6. Here are links to the 3x5 cards on their website: blank 3x5 and ruled 3x5. The price is great, too, only $0.64 for 100 cards. These products are marked with the Sustainable Forestry Initiative logo.

The shoe box full of index cards not friendly to fountain pens is on its way to the primary school where I volunteer. In the end, a win-win. :D

All the Best,

Gem

I'd suggest stocking up on the cards. It is not unusual for paper quality to change, especially when dealing with cheap items like index cards.

There is another version of Tops cards floating around Amazon too, these are made in Indonesia. Are these the ones I should have gotten????

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DuNfiOFtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Those are the ones I have.

aha! well live and learn.

Let's see how this goes I just ordered 100 of the red label from Amazon for $3.99. Yes a lot more expensive than I should be able to find them elsewhere but figured this would be an easy way to get a set to try out.

Found the store for the 'Essentials' it was K-Mart, but only plain, can't seem to find the rules ones.

@GemMayhem

Thanks for that info, will have to check that out.

@NateB

Good advice.

All the Best,

Gem

Great way to give those index cards a new life. I will be grabbing a pack of these as soon as I can make it to target and try them out. Thanks for the tip and link!

I'd suggest stocking up on the cards. It is not unusual for paper quality to change, especially when dealing with cheap items like index cards.

I have noticed the same, Nate. As soon as I can get back to Target, I'll definitely stock up. :thumbup: I have seen this happen also with some of my favorite notebook and office papers, so I have had to stock up on those, too. Soon people will begin mistaking my office for the supply closet! :roflmho:

Found the store for the 'Essentials' it was K-Mart, but only plain, can't seem to find the rules ones.

Thanks very much for tracking down the source of the 'Essentials'. Sadly, our local (profitable) Kmart just closed its doors forever. I travel a fair amount for work and will keep an eye out for Kmart. As Nate mentions, it's good to stock up and I reckon it's also good to have a back-up brand, just in case. :D

For San Francisco Bay Area residents or visitors.

A trip to Patrick and Co locations

Patrick and Co

Pearl and Flax on Market street in San Francisco and Kerry's Office Supplies at 1820 Franklin Street and Kelly Paper at 296 27th Street in Oakland should provide you with many hours of sampling adequate card stock.

As a bonus, they can for a small fee cut the card stock into any card size of your liking.

The Pen Addict Blog index cards reviews

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Well, I tried my Dollar Store; nothing but Mead. So I tried Target across the street. I got one pack each of ruled and blank "Up&Up."

They are certainly at least acceptable (FAR better than Caliber brand from my CVS store, I strongly disrecommend that). I am not sure they are as great as some of the posts above would indicate. I have a very few Tops cards left from an old pack. The Tops is both smoother finish and slightly heavier, stiffer; however, the pack is old. If I could find more, I'm not sure they'd be the same.

The "card" is not much more than heavy paper. I weighed the pack and calculated the area. The cards are about 120 gsm which is light for card stock. Index card stock used to be 90 & 110 lb (about 160 and 200 gsm). I noticed slight feathering at close examination, but it really wasn't a problem. At $0.64 per 100, it is a good "value point" card for bulk usage. I would prefer a better card for special usage but this is fine for most of my use. Thanks, everybody, for the tip.

I'm currently going through different brands to see whats worth getting. Will take some time, but I'll load up when I'm done.

Or I might get these (price dependent) if he starts up:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/210618-testing-3x5-index-cards-need-volunteers/

He's apparently done a lot of research in picking the samples he's sending out. I'm awaiting my set. I don't know what he's sending but having looked into making my own cards once upon a time I assume they'll be more expensive. But then most fountain pen friendly papers are. Cards would be the same.