The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Eversharp Symphony No. 713

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:27

Posted Image
I just received this little gem in the mail today from Peyton Street Pens. This is my first real "vintage" pen, AND my first non-C/C or piston fill. Color me intimidated!
I had researched this pen a bit, so I pretty much knew to expect an economy-type pen from the 1950's, that concentrated its steam in the nib-department. The looks of the 713 Symphony aren't stunning, but that wasn't why I wanted this pen. I wanted a somewhat economical way to try a REAL vintage flexible nib. In that department, this pen most certainly does not disappoint. I wouldn't call it a wet noodle, it probably ranges somewhere between a semi-flex and flexible, but I am not experienced enough with flex nibs to make that call. In fact, the only other flexy fountain pen I've ever used is the Noodler's Flex Creaper. The nib is very smooth, and is pure writing bliss with a lube-y shader like Herbin Vert Olive!

Lengths are: 5 and 3/8" capped,4 and 7/8" uncapped, and very near 6" posted.
Here are more pictures and writing samples:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ETA: these are some pictures of the flex at work, I didn't really realize that the above sample doesn't show it off very well.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by shaylenwilliams, 11 September 2011 - 11:19.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

Sponsored Content

#2 MicheleB

MicheleB

A pen a day.....

• Member - Gold

• 1,065 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:11

Nice pen and I love your handwriting. You will get much enjoyment out of it!
We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

#3 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:20

Nice pen and I love your handwriting. You will get much enjoyment out of it!

Thanks Michele,
Trust me, the credit is much more due to the pen than any talent of mine!
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#4 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:42

Very nice review.

I don't think Eversharp gets enough credit for the quality of their nibs.

#5 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:37

GAWD that's a pretty ink! Gonna have to get some of that. I just hate their little bottles.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#6 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 13:24

GAWD that's a pretty ink! Gonna have to get some of that. I just hate their little bottles.

It has become one of my staples. I really love it. Yes, the bottles are terrible, but were never an issue before my owning this pen- I would just use a syringe to fill. I barely had enough left in this one to fill with. I'll probably just end up buying the ink next time and transferring it to a more pen-friendly bottle.
The Poor Connoisseurs

#7 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2011 - 13:54

Shaylen, I just got a flex nib too and it's not the pen it's your handwriting, good job. And welcome to vintage pens.

I won't be posting any handwriting any time soon. But, how the mighty had fallen, just ten years before Eversharp made the Skyline.

#8 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 18:41

Shaylen, I just got a flex nib too and it's not the pen it's your handwriting, good job. And welcome to vintage pens.

I won't be posting any handwriting any time soon. But, how the mighty had fallen, just ten years before Eversharp made the Skyline.

Thanks for the compliment! :embarrassed_smile:
I know, I was reading about post-Skyline downfall... I'd LOVE to get my hands on one of those... I saw a Blurple-y/striated looking one that was a knockout! Alas, the Symphony will do me just fine while I am college student-poor.
The Poor Connoisseurs

#9 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2011 - 19:06

Shaylen,
Beautiful handwriting and a nice review. I also got one of these from Peyton Street, and they are very nice indeed!
Thanks for posting this!
Dave
This post contains 100% recycled electrons

#10 Inkwisitor

Inkwisitor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2011 - 19:04

Congratulations on joining the ranks of vintage pen users. Add me as another admirer of your handwriting!
"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

#11 ThirdeYe

ThirdeYe

Snail Mail Addict

• Member - Gold

• 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:49

Welcome to the dark side Shay... the dark side of collecting vintage pens ;)
Derek's Pens and Pencils
I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

#12 Ernest

Ernest

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:20

I am waiting for mine:

A 713 in ExtraFine Flex and a 917 in Fine Flex.
Should have ordered a Flex Stub as well..Pity. All sold out.

ernest

Edited by Ernest, 13 September 2011 - 02:20.

#13 ObliqueIntern

ObliqueIntern

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2011 - 15:25

Shaylen,
I'm just seeing this review now, after having been on the road for a few weeks. Lovely review for a lovely pen. And, by the way, your handwriting is beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing this with us. Posted Image

kp

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.  - Mark Twain

#14 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 17:31

Shaylen,
I'm just seeing this review now, after having been on the road for a few weeks. Lovely review for a lovely pen. And, by the way, your handwriting is beautiful!!

Thanks for sharing this with us. Posted Image

kp

Thanks KP, you're too kind! I hope the road was good to you!
The Poor Connoisseurs

#15 inkspot

inkspot

Audiophile

• Member - Gold

• 1,738 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:21

Your fabulous review made up my mind - I just placed an order for one of these babies! Thanks for the great review - though my wallet now has a bone to pick with you ... ;)

#16 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:38

Lovely work, and well done on your choice, Shaylen! I've been having a lot of fun with mine. You know you've chosen well with the love of your life when this happens: she convinced me I should get one, so I got a fine 713; she knew I wanted a stub, but they were all sold out.

Well, they weren't, really. She called Teri and got one of the last ones, and gave it to me as a surprise on my birthday. <3
"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#17 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:11

Your fabulous review made up my mind - I just placed an order for one of these babies! Thanks for the great review - though my wallet now has a bone to pick with you ... ;)

I look forward to seeing it in action!!!

Lovely work, and well done on your choice, Shaylen! I've been having a lot of fun with mine. You know you've chosen well with the love of your life when this happens: she convinced me I should get one, so I got a fine 713; she knew I wanted a stub, but they were all sold out.Well, they weren't, really. She called Teri and got one of the last ones, and gave it to me as a surprise on my birthday. <3

A good choice of life partner indeed! :thumbup:
The Poor Connoisseurs

#18 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:14

*It's too late to edit the original post now, but I JUST realized that in the typed portion of my review I called the ink Vert Olive. It isn't that, obviously- it's Vert Empire. Stupid me.*
The Poor Connoisseurs

#19 Fabienne

Fabienne

Et nunc, aliquid plene diversum!

• Member - Gold

• 2,765 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2011 - 20:09

I just now got one (burgundy and broad flex, too). I love this pen. Smooth, wet, gold nib (my first) lightweight (I appreciate that). Decided to ink it up with Noodlers Swan in UK Roses (because it's burgundy colored). I am not sure that was the proper ink to choose (VERY wet, dries VERY slooooooollllly and leaves a round dome of ink to dry after the nib passes). I will have to experiment with inks and this pen. I have seen some heartbreakingly beautiful handwriting done with another one (like your handwriting) and just fell for it and glad I did. Thanks for the review, I concur with all of it.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

#20 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2011 - 20:59

congrats on the pen :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

|