The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Eversharp Symphony 713

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 nm4

nm4

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2011 - 23:01

These pens are available NOS from Teri at Peyton St. Pens...I figured since they're still available some might enjoy a review. Teri's service is second to none.

Eversharp Stub.jpg

The only truly negative thing I can say about this pen is that after using it many of my other fountain pens seem utterly boring!

Cheers,
NM
Cross ATX XF nib and Sheaffer 444X F nib for sale in the classifieds!

Sponsored Content

#2 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:22

I reviewed my new Symphony yesterday too! These are fantastic little pens! Mine is a broad nib, but it has some stubby-ness to it as well. Very nice!
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#3 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:41

Ah Darn... no more flex stubs left in stock. Maybe I should just try to grind one of my Noodler's flex pens?

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

#4 Florenze

Florenze

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2011 - 07:04

These pens are available NOS from Teri at Peyton St. Pens...I figured since they're still available some might enjoy a review. Teri's service is second to none.

Eversharp Stub.jpg

The only truly negative thing I can say about this pen is that after using it many of my other fountain pens seem utterly boring!

Cheers,
NM

Would you mind elaborating a bit on what you mean by 'fussy about nib orientation/demanding'? Just curious.

And definitely, they are wonderful, expressive nibs. Vintage: a not-to-be-missed experience for the flex-inclined.

#5 nm4

nm4

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:16

What I meant is one must pay particular attention to keeping the nib oriented correctly because it has a small sweet spot. If you change the angle of your hand or rotate the pen even very slightly it won't write quite as well. Also, skipping on upstrokes can be an issue if I write too quickly.

Cheers,
NM

#6 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:26

What I meant is one must pay particular attention to keeping the nib oriented correctly because it has a small sweet spot. If you change the angle of your hand or rotate the pen even very slightly it won't write quite as well. Also, skipping on upstrokes can be an issue if I write too quickly.

Cheers,
NM

As such, a potential buyer may want to consider the B nib instead. It is also slightly stubby, and I've found it is much more forgiving to nib position and orientation. I use two different writing styles, and my B nib works well with both.
"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss
The Poor Connoisseurs

#7 Florenze

Florenze

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2011 - 21:28

Cheers,
NM

Ah, I see. Thanks very much for more detail. Makes me wish we had a videophone message board, like the Jetsons! LOL Would
love to see people writing with their wonderful pens.

#8 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:06

Is there another known source of these with Flexible Stub nibs? Peyton Street seems to be out for now....

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

#9 nm4

nm4

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:28

Jon to be totally honest I also have an EF and I enjoy that pen a little more because the actual line variation from flex is much more noticeable than with the stub. That said, my EF is not very smooth despite adjusting the tines carefully. Personally I think the sweet-spot for this range of pens is probably an F or M nib...they should be smooth enough for regular use yet narrow enough to really let the flex shine.

Cheers,
NM

#10 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:05

True, M or F would work well i'm sure and have more line width variation due to flex. I already have a bunch of EF and F flex nibs. I don't happen to have any B or Stub nibs because they are harder to find. :)

So I'm going to buy a Broad Flex... but if you ever want to sell it... send me a PM and I might be in the market for it at that time. Who knows? :)

Edited by JonB55198, 13 September 2011 - 04:07.

#11 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 18:39

I have my Symphony inked with Waterman SSB and thought I'd show a photo of what the flexible stub nib looks like. I'm a long way from GClef's beautiful script, but this pen sure is fun!

Nice review, nm. I feel lucky to have one of these pens. DAVID

Posted Image

Edited by dcpritch, 14 September 2011 - 18:42.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

#12 WOBentley

WOBentley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,314 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2011 - 19:24

I don't have time for a writing sample right now (and my handwriting is terrible anyway...but I am working on it!), I got a F nib first from Teri, then I saw GClef's writing sample with the EF (his handwriting could sell anything ;) ), so I got one of those (it is even more flexy, possibly due to the finer nib size having slightly less metal???), then a Stub became available....then of course there were the new larger nibbed 917's which seem to be even slightly more flexy....
I am ashamed of myself :embarrassed_smile: ...Ok maybe only a little
But thrilled to have them :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:
This post contains 100% recycled electrons

#13 GClef

GClef

The Manny™ - Part 107 Pilot

• Member - Gold

• 2,959 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2011 - 19:27

I'm a long way from GClef's beautiful script, but this pen sure is fun!

Posted Image

#14 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2011 - 20:47

I have my Symphony inked with Waterman SSB and thought I'd show a photo of what the flexible stub nib looks like.

Nice writing sample! I ordered a B-nib symphony for myself. It has a bit of stubiness to it I've been told. It will be interesting to see what it can do :)

#15 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2011 - 21:16

As such, a potential buyer may want to consider the B nib instead. It is also slightly stubby, and I've found it is much more forgiving to nib position and orientation. I use two different writing styles, and my B nib works well with both.

Shay,
Would you be so kind as to post a writing sample that demonstrates how much line width variation comes from the B-nib without flexing it. In other words, using light pressure, can you make some vertical and horizontal strokes. I, too, ordered a B-nib and I'm wondering exactly how much of a stub it is :)
-jon

#16 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 21:33

Shay,
Would you be so kind as to post a writing sample that demonstrates how much line width variation comes from the B-nib without flexing it. In other words, using light pressure, can you make some vertical and horizontal strokes. I, too, ordered a B-nib and I'm wondering exactly how much of a stub it is :)
-jon

Can do. Give me just a few minutes.
The Poor Connoisseurs

#17 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 21:41

Posted Image

So it's not super stubby, but not totally round either. The first is not even held in a pen grip, so it is as light as I could get it.
The Poor Connoisseurs

#18 dcpritch

dcpritch

Uff da

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,955 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 21:53

Jon and Shaylen, here is the same thing, with the stub nib, for comparison:

Posted Image

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

#19 shaylenwilliams

shaylenwilliams

Aparecium

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 21:58

Ask and ye shall receive! :thumbup:
The Poor Connoisseurs

#20 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:19

Wow,

Shey and dcpritch, excellent pics for comparison! That was exactly what I had hoped for. Good job! :thumbup:

Question: Do you think I could modify my B-nib one day to be more stubby? I know that it is possible to grind finer, but not possible to made it broader, right? Therefore, I am afraid it cannot be modified to make it stubbier. It could possibly be made into a flex Cursive Italic, right? By the nature of CI nibs, it would have more line variation than the B nib :) Thoughts?

Sponsored Content

|