Review: Kaweco Ac Sport Carbon

OrangeJuice

INTRODUCTION: I have had an interest in pens with carbon fiber inlays or made from carbon fiber. So, when i saw this pen on the JetPens site i went for it. There are three colors available, reb, black, and silver on an aluminum body.

post-71034-0-75812400-1315692204.jpg

Appearance & Design (9) -

I personally like to look at the carbon as it has a 3-D effect. I choose the black body as i thought it would match well with the carbon fiber and would be understated. I like the inserts of carbon fiber on the cap and the silver cap jewel matches the silver nib.

post-71034-0-49451000-1315691969.jpg

post-71034-0-41921100-1315692015.jpg

post-71034-0-82190300-1315692055.jpg

Construction & Quality (8) -

The carbon and aluminum makes for a very light yet sturdy pen. The finish is powder coated that can be scratched off if you put the pen in your pocket with keys. Or, as i have noticed, the clip scratches off the paint on the cap edges with daily use as it is slightly loose (you might be able to see this in my picture). Other than this i think the build quality is very good.

post-71034-0-84813100-1315692036.jpg

Weight & Dimensions (8) - Short, slender, and lightweight

The barrel is made from carbon fiber so unposted the pen is very light, a bit to light for my tastes. The cap is mostly aluminum so posted it balances the pen well. The barrel grip is thin but comfortable for note taking. I use the pen daily and find the compact size easy to carry everyday.

post-71034-0-52364200-1315692162.jpg

post-71034-0-54928100-1315692241.jpg

Nib & Performance (9) - Wet and smooth, but well controlled

The pen comes with a steel nib, i ordered a medium and it is like my Pilot VP medium nib and thinner than my LAMY studio medium. This nib is stiff but very smooth, a real pleasure to write with for sure a small pen. The nib has a flow of about 6/10. Of all my steel nibs, this is better than my TWSBI, and equal to my Edison.

post-71034-0-90867200-1315692074.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance (7) - Cartridges only

The filling system of the pen allows for small international cartridges only. The plastic Kaweco pens can be made into eye droppers, but i am not going to attempt that with this pen. However, i like the standard Kaweco colors and as this is a note taking pen that travels with me i think having a pack of cartridges is easier for me personally.

post-71034-0-85014400-1315692120.jpg

Cost & Value (8) - Expensive

The pen was over $100 and expensive when compared to the regular Kaweco sport price if you are looking for an everyday carry pen. If i could get this pen for less than one hundred dollars it would be a great deal, however, i really think the materials justify the price.

Conclusion (Final score [49/6]: 8.2) -

An interesting pen and joy to use for note taking.

post-71034-0-59992000-1315692295.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MadPercolator

• watch_art

• strawtarget

• OrangeJuice

I picked up the silver & carbon one approx 2 weeks ago and, even though I wasn't really digging the cartridge only aspect of the pen, I'm totally over that hangup an have been using this pen exclusively.

I didn't think I's find anything as nice to write with as my Lamy2k, or as compact as the Stipula passaporto.

I love this pen.

• 6 months later...

I've also been looking to buy this pen, but found a Senator that also has carbon, looks nice and is less expensive. Not sure now.