The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Review: Kaweco Ac Sport Carbon

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 christopherkeane

christopherkeane

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2011 - 22:09

INTRODUCTION: I have had an interest in pens with carbon fiber inlays or made from carbon fiber. So, when i saw this pen on the JetPens site i went for it. There are three colors available, reb, black, and silver on an aluminum body.

022 (800x450).jpg

Appearance & Design (9) -
I personally like to look at the carbon as it has a 3-D effect. I choose the black body as i thought it would match well with the carbon fiber and would be understated. I like the inserts of carbon fiber on the cap and the silver cap jewel matches the silver nib.

009 (800x438).jpg
010 (800x449).jpg
012 (800x357).jpg

Construction & Quality (8) -
The carbon and aluminum makes for a very light yet sturdy pen. The finish is powder coated that can be scratched off if you put the pen in your pocket with keys. Or, as i have noticed, the clip scratches off the paint on the cap edges with daily use as it is slightly loose (you might be able to see this in my picture). Other than this i think the build quality is very good.

011 (800x320).jpg

Weight & Dimensions (8) - Short, slender, and lightweight
The barrel is made from carbon fiber so unposted the pen is very light, a bit to light for my tastes. The cap is mostly aluminum so posted it balances the pen well. The barrel grip is thin but comfortable for note taking. I use the pen daily and find the compact size easy to carry everyday.

020 (800x450).jpg
017 (800x434).jpg

Nib & Performance (9) - Wet and smooth, but well controlled
The pen comes with a steel nib, i ordered a medium and it is like my Pilot VP medium nib and thinner than my LAMY studio medium. This nib is stiff but very smooth, a real pleasure to write with for sure a small pen. The nib has a flow of about 6/10. Of all my steel nibs, this is better than my TWSBI, and equal to my Edison.

013 (800x377).jpg

Filling System & Maintenance (7) - Cartridges only
The filling system of the pen allows for small international cartridges only. The plastic Kaweco pens can be made into eye droppers, but i am not going to attempt that with this pen. However, i like the standard Kaweco colors and as this is a note taking pen that travels with me i think having a pack of cartridges is easier for me personally.

019 (800x450).jpg

Cost & Value (8) - Expensive
The pen was over $100 and expensive when compared to the regular Kaweco sport price if you are looking for an everyday carry pen. If i could get this pen for less than one hundred dollars it would be a great deal, however, i really think the materials justify the price.

Conclusion (Final score [49/6]: 8.2) -
An interesting pen and joy to use for note taking.

021 (800x450).jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2011 - 00:19

I've never had an interest in carbon stuff - but that looks REALLY nice. Thanks for sharing.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 strawtarget

strawtarget

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:01

The very similar AL Sport model has become my new favorite pen. Nice review!

#4 MadPercolator

MadPercolator

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 13:53

I picked up the silver & carbon one approx 2 weeks ago and, even though I wasn't really digging the cartridge only aspect of the pen, I'm totally over that hangup an have been using this pen exclusively.
I didn't think I's find anything as nice to write with as my Lamy2k, or as compact as the Stipula passaporto.
I love this pen.

#5 caldopollo

caldopollo

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:32

I've also been looking to buy this pen, but found a Senator that also has carbon, looks nice and is less expensive. Not sure now.

Sponsored Content

|