C. E. Levi Small Nox Review

Doug C

Great review, Doug!

I'm another of the lucky FPNers who got a Nox from Cameron Lewis. I ordered a large Nox, and had him put in a semi-flexible Mabie Todd & Co. Swan No. 2 nib - what a dream! Unreal workmanship, superb balance ... but I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll be doing a full review of my Nox in the near future - got mine a month ago but had a son's wedding reception and some other events delay my review. In the meantime, here's a picture of the nib on mine:

fpn_1315806251__nox_-_5.jpg

And a comparison of its size in relation to pens folks might be familiar with:

Left to right, Pelikan M605, M800, MB 146, Lamy 2000, the Nox, OMAS Milord*, OMAS Paragon*, Namiki VP**, Parker 51***

* old style - 2003

** old faceted style - 1994

*** with Ralph Prather cap

fpn_1315806102__nox_pen_comparison.jpg

DCPritch, Wonderful selection of pens, and the large Nox looks great (although in your photo, it appears to be brown-I'm assuming it is black ebonite).

Don't do that to me, or I will need to start getting different hues of ebonite...

WONDERFUL nib.

Cameron, when you say you were making them for non-enthusiasts, to what were you referring? Rollerballs?

If so, you have come a long way, since your nibs are perfection...

the Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug C

• jimhughes

• ethernautrix

• Chi Town

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... the large Nox looks great (although in your photo, it appears to be brown-I'm assuming it is black ebonite). Don't do that to me, or I will need to start getting different hues of ebonite ...

Doug, the ebonite on my Nox is indeed black. I assume that because of its matte finish it absorbs light differently and so, because of my poor photography skills combined with the low grade iPhone 3 camera, it looks to be a different color than it actually is. I am expecting the pictures I do for my review will be better than this one. And, you are right, that Swan nib is a dandy - was using it all this afternoon in meetings, fighting the temptation to become distracted by the pen.

And Jim, my review is coming, but I have this job thing that keeps getting in the way of all the things I need to do, like write FPN reviews! :thumbup:

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Looking forward to your review. I understand perfectly, work interferring with pleasure.

Especially in these tough economic times. Hopefully some other with a Lewis pen will step forward to post their thoughts on the pen. Jim

DCPritch, Wonderful selection of pens, and the large Nox looks great (although in your photo, it appears to be brown-I'm assuming it is black ebonite).

Don't do that to me, or I will need to start getting different hues of ebonite...

WONDERFUL nib.

Cameron, when you say you were making them for non-enthusiasts, to what were you referring? Rollerballs?

If so, you have come a long way, since your nibs are perfection...

Well, Doug, as much as it pains me to tell you this, there are different hues and I'll be posting pictures of a few different coloured ebonite pens in the near future. Okay, "pains" is perhaps not the right word. "Thrills" might be a more honest choice. I've only ever made fountain pens so far but the people who've been buying them so far are mostly folks who just want one good pen, rather than the sort who make pens a hobby. Not FPN people, as far as I know.

Also, I've got another really sweet Swan #2 flex nib (very much like dcpritch's) but for the fact that it goes from medium up to BB or 3B. Rather than from fine to 3B.

Edited by CLewis

I had no idea what I was getting myself into, clicking on this thread.

I am, of course, dully tempted. Which is my understated way of saying, "WOW!"

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

And you have 2 or is it 3 Nakaya's on order already? You won't be sorry, a modern form follows function, piece of art with a classical vintage nib in a button filler. Nice compliment to the classic East Asian Nakaya design you seem to adore. Jim

I had no idea what I was getting myself into, clicking on this thread.

I am, of course, dully tempted. Which is my understated way of saying, "WOW!"

Jim is correct Lisa, you have made a mistake. I know your fondness for Piccolos as well as Tuckies.

This is a cross-bred version so it would be right up your ally.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Doug and I have this Co-Dependence, Enabler Thing going on the Pen Front. We are however open to enlarging the group to include hapless others. Welcome home Ethernautrix. Jim