Substitute For Silicone Grease

sajiskumar

I asked for silicone grease at my local auto parts store and bought a tube for about $5 that's used on disk brake calipers where it lubes the sliding brake pad plates and the boots. And since CV joints have rubber (or similar) boots, I would assume the CV joint lubes would need to be safe for such apps.

However when I got home and opened the tube, I found the lube was brown or dark tan, and since the silicone lube I'd had before was clear, I put it in the box with my plumbing supplies and sent away for some clear silicone.

So. Anyone know whether disk brake lube is actually safe for contact with pen materials?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• Pen Nut

• Scrawler

• sajiskumar

As you know, not all O-rings are created equally. Some will live long happy lives totally immersed in petroleum-based oil chock-full of additives, such as the numerous O-rings found in automatic transmissions. Others will expand like balloons virtually at the sight of kerosene.

I suspect that the O-rings used to support brake caliper bolts & bushings are engineered for quite an hostile environment, noting the possible contamination with chassis grease & oil spray.

Having said that,have you googled for the MSDS sheet for the item which you purchased? It might very well be pure silicone grease with a dye added (which in turn raises the issue of the safety of the dye on fountain pen grade rubber products).

As you know, not all O-rings are created equally. Some will live long happy lives totally immersed in petroleum-based oil chock-full of additives, such as the numerous O-rings found in automatic transmissions. Others will expand like balloons virtually at the sight of kerosene.

I suspect that the O-rings used to support brake caliper bolts & bushings are engineered for quite an hostile environment, noting the possible contamination with chassis grease & oil spray.

Having said that,have you googled for the MSDS sheet for the item which you purchased? It might very well be pure silicone grease with a dye added (which in turn raises the issue of the safety of the dye on fountain pen grade rubber products).

Excellent! Learned something here. Thanks.

I asked for silicone grease at my local auto parts store and bought a tube for about $5 that's used on disk brake calipers where it lubes the sliding brake pad plates and the boots. And since CV joints have rubber (or similar) boots, I would assume the CV joint lubes would need to be safe for such apps.

However when I got home and opened the tube, I found the lube was brown or dark tan, and since the silicone lube I'd had before was clear, I put it in the box with my plumbing supplies and sent away for some clear silicone.

So. Anyone know whether disk brake lube is actually safe for contact with pen materials?

CV joint boots are intended to be packed with general purpose grease, which is commonly lithium based.

There's lots of different types of brake greases, which do different jobs, and have different operating temperature ranges.

Brake rubber grease washes off easily, can't stand high heat, aids seal installation in caliper rebuilds, and dissolves in brake fluid.

Ceramic brake grease and silicon brake grease will withstand high temperatures, and won't swell the anti vibration bushes used on most caliper slider pins the way old fashioned copper based brake grease will.

The consistency of automotive silicone grease varies quite a bit by price and brand. For example, even if Carlube's "silicone grease" turned out to have no harmful additives thrown in, I still wouldn't use it in a pen because it is far too thin and runny.

Brits - buy a small tube of WRAS rated silicone grease for potable water pipes, food blenders etc. The quantity you will use on pens is tiny, just go on eBay or wherever, search for the above, and order a tiny tube/ tin. No hunting required, and the package will be so small you won't even need to have someone stay in to sign for it.

[edit - forgot about rubber grease].

Edited by Flounder

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Is the "food grade" silicone good ? i'm quite hesitated

Edited by caoquocdat

I bought some of this sicone grease from one of the pen sellers, because it was recommended for the inner barrel of Pelikans to lubricate the piston. I have since decided not to use it any more, fearing some contamination of the feed of nib units that are not cheap to replace (14K and 18K). I wasn't convinced I could clean any such contamination that might happen. While I haven't seen any issues with the Pelikans, I am suspicious that some silicone lubricant might migrate through the ink to the feed. So, I put that that stuff aside. I think that one lube with a minimal grain of lube on a toothpick will probably suffice for those pens for the life of each pen. Especially since I forgot all about them for quite a while, leaving them uninked..

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 weeks later...

dont' use other gease except silicon for your lovely pen. That is my advice. Just order it from ebay a little and you can use it for years!

No pen is best pen.

• 3 weeks later...

Bees wax can also be found at larger health food and herbal remedy stores. Or buy some comb honey, drain honey from the comb, and wash the wax in cool water. Amazon must have some.

Brian

I have since decided not to use it any more, fearing some contamination of the feed of nib units that are not cheap to replace (14K and 18K). I wasn't convinced I could clean any such contamination that might happen. While I haven't seen any issues with the Pelikans, I am suspicious that some silicone lubricant might migrate through the ink to the feed.

Not all silicone grease is created equal. The silicone grease that I use and sell is designed to resist washing off, and is quite persistent. If you use a very little bit on the piston seal, or on the barrel wall (as in if you can see it, you have too much) and you should be OK. The silicone oil used/provided by one pen manufacturer on the other hand, will wash off and could get into the feed.

OTOH, I have seen many damaged Pelikan and Montblanc plastic seals that were damaged because they were not lubricated. I have seen Pelikans where the mechanism popped out the back end (it is a snap fit, and shouldn't do that) because the seal was not lubricated, got stuck in the barrel. The piston wouldn't move, so the mechanism did.

We also must to use silicone grease on the Sheaffer plunger filler rods, and sometimes a little in the barrel. I have not seen any negative impact from this, several hundred pens later.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.