Wahl-Eversharp Model Poll

Wahlnut

Which Wahl Eversharp Model Are you most interested in?  

558 members have voted

1. 1. Which Wahl Eversharp Model Are you most interested in?

• Tempoint Pens
    • BHR, RHR, MHR Pens
    • All-Metal Pens
    • Signature Pens
    • Early Plastic Pens
    • Gold Seal Flat Top Pens
    • Equi-poised Pens
    • Doric Pens
    • Bantam Pens
    • Coronet Pens
    • Pacemaker Pens
    • Skyline Pens
    • Fifth Avenue Pens
    • Symphoony Pens
    • Ventura Pens
    • Desk Pen Sets
    • Nibs
    • Wahl History
    • Other
    • Wahl-Oxford
    • The new Skyline models (1993 to present)
    • The New Oversized Pneumatic DECOBAND pens

Please tell your moderator what information you would like to see on the Wahl-Eversharp Forum. Vote for the items you most want to see posts about. I have opened this poll to replies, so if you want something else listed, just tell me so I can tailor the topics to suit your particular interests.

Thanks for playing

Syd the Wahlnut

Edited by Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahlnut

• Johnny Appleseed

• Kelly G

• riskmaker007

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"All of the above",

How's that for a reply! I think for a while I will enjoy reading about pens, learning when nibs were made, figuring out when certain pens were produced and why "Wahl is no more".

Ron

"Adventure is just bad planning." -- Roald Amundsen

My Wahl-Eversharp knowledge is small, but I am willing to learn!

I like the look of the Equi-poised Pens, Dorics and Bantams. Flat Tops always interest me greatly as well.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

I am fond of many of the different Wahl-Eversharp models. My favorite, though, is the Bantam. I also pick up the Bantam-sized Dorics (or is that Doric-styled Bantams) when I see them.

http://gergyor.com/images/bantams.jpg

Best regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I'm interested in the Whal Models - others not listed, and other pens made by Wahl like the Paramount shot by David I elsewhere in this forum. Is there a fairly comprehensive list available out there?

Gerry

Well, I have a RMHR ring-top,

A Skyline in Blue Modern Stripe (with a tempoint nib at the moment)

An Olympian

An Oxford in brown hatched

and an Oxford-like Eversharp in Green Hatch.

However, I drool over pacemakers, dorics and equi-poised of various stripes, as well as the GF all metal pens.

JOhn

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

I was second to vote for Fifth Avenues. I picked that mostly because that's what I have, but I'd probably like Skylines in demi size with nice nibs, colors, and metal caps, Symphonies with slipper caps, and slim Venturas.

I have and enjoy a range of Wahl Eversharps. I'm a couple of hours away from my pens right now, so I'll take a guess on the accumulation. One BCHR flat top, one RHR Signature OS, One Rosewood Gold Seal, One Oxford, One tiny BCHR ring top, a couple of 5th Ave., a couple of Symphonies, a bunch of Skylines, I would guess in the range of a dozen or so, but I'm probably guessing low.

I think Wahl makes some of the best nibs going and their pens are solid and relatively easy to restore (except for the brittle, shrinking plastic of the Skylines).

The other real advantage is Skylines are plentiful and cheap by decent vintage standards.

I also just picked up a tiny lever fill RT MHR Paramount yesterday. It's kind of neat for a vest pocked pen.

kg

And I nearly left off one of my best - a Wahl gf metal deco pen with a #5 nib - a great estate auction find!

Edited by Kelly G

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

That sounds like a pretty good start for a nice Wahl-Eversharp collection, Kelly. What part of the world are you in? Are there many estate auctions, flea markets, and antique malls where you live? Have you found them to be a good source for "our brand" in your neck of the woods?

With Wahl-Eversharp the stylistics are very nice and make the pens interesting to collect, but the nib is the thing, even on the ugliest faded BHR, the TEMPOINT, WAHL, WAHL PEN, SIGNATURE, AND GOLD SEAL nibs were about the best around then and now.

Syd the Wahlnut

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

I'd have to say "All of the above" too. Even though I checked the "Skyline" box.

I've got one Skyline, a Symphony, a Lil Green Purse pen with a wee lil nib.

A Tinyish gold plated ringtop and a red woodgrain ringtop.

Also some Wahl Oxfords: Two slim 4 1/2" Vest type pens with double deco rings on the cap. A Green Onyx color that likes Aircorp ink and a Rootbeer pearl pen inked with FPN Galileo Manuscript. I really like these pens.

Then I have 3 of the fat Wahl-Oxfords, about 4 3/4" tall. A bright pearl green, a gray-green pearl (that I use every day), and a spooky cool all black and gold one with no band on the extra thick cap.

I like all of these and dream of the finer wares too. :D

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Just for the record - I didn't vote, cause I couldn't decide. But if I had to pick one I was most interested in learning more about, it would be the Tempoints.

John

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

I wish the poll allowed a person to vote for as many items as they want to vote for and not to be limited to only one choice, too. Ah, the Tempoints be they BHR RHR, MHR, or Metal are great! We will have a lot of info on them coming along. Thanks for your input. It is very important.

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

I don't really know much about Wahl, but I bought two little gold-filled ringtops for $10 each at a local antique mall last year. One is with #2 nib, and the other is very small #0 nib. The flexy #2 nib is wasted on me, and the other one is really too small to use but I really like them. I did find some very useful info and beautiful photos at Jim's site (PenHero.com) but I would like to learn more about them-different sizes, patterns, and nibs. I would be interested to see photos of the pens as well as old advertisements :D

Edited by Taki

• 1 month later...

My collection (no, sorry it's not a collection, it's a bit of a passing interest - oh, what the heck who am I kidding?). As you were: my collection started with Skylines, and I still love 'em.

I've been spending too long hanging around this forum, though, and the all-metal lovelies are starting to get to me. And I'd really like a Doric, if I could afford one.

None of these pens are particularly easy to get over here; it seems to have been, fairly strictly, a US market and I've certainly never seen a Wahl-Eversharp in the wild, so to speak.

So I said "Skyline" but like a lot of you, I'd like to learn more about the other models...

And earn more, actually, so I could own more.

That sounds like a pretty good start for a nice Wahl-Eversharp collection, Kelly. What part of the world are you in? Are there many estate auctions, flea markets, and antique malls where you live? Have you found them to be a good source for "our brand" in your neck of the woods?

With Wahl-Eversharp the stylistics are very nice and make the pens interesting to collect, but the nib is the thing, even on the ugliest faded BHR, the TEMPOINT, WAHL, WAHL PEN, SIGNATURE, AND GOLD SEAL nibs were about the best around then and now.

Syd the Wahlnut

Syd,

Sorry it's taken so long to respond - I'm too random in my approach to FPN.

I've added some location info. to my tag. I'm living in SW Kansas and have for most of my life. It's not great fp hunting country, but I've had my best luck at estate auctions and usually I've found fp's are not advertised on the sale bills, unless there are large number.

Some of my best auction finds: Waterman 452 in great shape exp. broken clip.; Vacumatic dbl jewels lockdown filler three band w/flex nib in good condition exp. no barrel jewel or tassie; W/E 5th Ave; Lucky Curve BCHR rt in excellent condition exp. w/o nib; Skyline in gray; Parker 21; Skyline mp - all this was in two boxes of advertising pens/pencils that I won for a total of five bucks. Even though this was a wounded pen gathering, it was great a good day at the auction.

Others: Conkin Sr. Endura in Lapis in good shape and good color - had to pay $35.00 for that one (and drive 70 miles each way) as there was another pen person in attendance. A W/E Deco Metal in colonial chasing, I think, GF Clip model w/#5 nib and a couple decent BCHR pens that cleaned up well - I think I ended up with around $30.00 in that bunch. A half dozen Sheaffer snorkels, mostly w/EF nibs, most all black. One standout had an autograph 14k band and clip - six bucks; My latest and perhaps best auction find - RHR Wahl Signature OS - chased in wonderful condition exp. for a hairline cap lip crack and a Waterman 52 Mottled RHR in great condition. both for $7.50 plus a 60 mile drive each way (very much worth the drive!)

My wife, who attends more auctions than I has found several pens for me, including a Duofold Sr. Black & Burgundy in ex. condition; a jade Sheaffer balance - the long thin model with almost perfect color and a stub nib, a striped duofold, a gf Parker 61 set in ex. condition and several other lesser or more damaged pens. She is a great picker!

I've a favorite antique shop that watch out for pens for me - he runs across some interesting examples from time to time, but nothing spectacular. I did buy a Wahl desk pen from him for six bucks - bronze and green, two band in pretty good shape. It took me another six months to find a correct trumpet and base off ebay, but it's a handsome desk set now.

I wish I had more time to take in more auctions; there aren't that many out here, but every once in awhile you run across some great pens! I find the hunt is nearly as fun as the finds and it proves there are still some great pens in the wild.

kg

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

As I have mentioned on another Wahl thread, I newly possess a black 1920's era ringtop greek key Nib #2 Wahl pen, in non-functioning condition [sac deteriorated]. If its nib is as flexible as everyone is saying, this pen will surely become my favorite. I would love to see postings about this style "Ladies'" pen, particularly regarding repair/maintenance.

Edited by spencerfan

If the nib is a #2 and does not say "flexible" then it may or may not be flexible. Most makers made nibs with degrees of flex, both by design and due to the natural variablity of the process, and I don't think Wahl was an exception there.

John

- Dr Suess

• 2 weeks later...

I opted for Skyline. a design classic I think, has its era written all over it.

Not that I have one! still checking out what is available, and looking for advice with regard to nibs (I'm a leftie).

Just watched one on ebay that was up for about $22. It didn't sell, and I was very tempted, watching it right through to close, but description did not say if it was a writer, even though it looked very nice.

When a seller also states no refunds, and is not clear whether the pen writes or not, (it said it filled successfully with water) I'm not going to take the chance.

I am an ebay wuss but that's probably a good thing! ;)

We can sail safely inside the harbour but that is not what ships were built for - anon

The Skyline was designed by Henry Dreyfuss, as well as the Hoover Constellation and Hoover model 150 vacuum cleaners. He designed a train, the Westclox Big Ben, and the 302, 500, Princess, and Trimline Western Electric telephones. The crazy thing is, I collect fountain pens, vacuums, clocks, and telephones. I have a Skyline, 302, 500, and Trimline telephones, and am getting a Constellation. Henry Dreyfuss is one of my favorite designers. This is a link to Wikipedia's Henry Dreyfuss site for those interested.

~~K~~

Don't cry over spilled milk...cry over spilled ink!

~~K~~=Kyle