New From Nova Scotia

Carro

Well I am a new fountain pen user. A month ago I had one old schaeffer calligraphy pen And today I have ten with nine more coming from China.(if they arrive as ordered)

How did it happen?

I am not sure really. I bought what I thought was a 14k gold nib wearever pen from eBay, when it arrived it was 14k plated with a little thingie on the side to fill it. I had never seen such a thing and was a little disappointed because I couldn't use it. So off to eBay I went again and bought 4 shaeffer pens for 14 dollars a better deal I think - two with gold plated tips and two silver ones. They were a little scratchy but since I have been writing with them they seem to have stopped or else I have grown accustomed to the scratch, one is a little tiny silver see through and I really do like it, it writes so gently. I now know pens have different nib sizes.

So I decided maybe I should buy a "real" new fountain pen, harder to come by than I thought but I ended up at staples and bought a set of sigma, with a very pretty fountain pen but I still cant figure how it works, the cartridge wobbles but the pen still writes and doesn't leak, a mystery.

While at staples I also bought a Cross Adventura, very smooth writer. Both the sigma and the cross were about 40.00 dollars so I thought lets get a real high class pen. I went to a local stationary and there was a silver and gold schaeffer coming with a thing called a converter. So I bought it and a few spare converters for the other schaeffers, oh and of course ink, and one of the inks was called noodlers Heart of darkness and it came with a free pen, very nice little pen at that.

Then I found the fountain pen network and started reading about Chinese pens and low and behold there was a huge number of wonderful looking pens for very little money, so I ordered those, heaven knows what they will be like but they sure are pretty.

And today I think I may have bought my last fountain pen, -well maybe - it is a wonderful red pen made here in Nova Scotia by a local man. (It might not quite be my last because he had some wonderful pens made out of wood and deer horns and computer chips. ) Oh and of course I had to buy some bottled ink- Noodlers has mega colours, who can resist that, and how does anyone resist those beautiful little bottles put out by Pelican.

Quite frankly folks I think I have gone bonkers. And much to my surprise fountain pens can cost a few dollars to literally thousands of dollars -who would think such a thing. Yet they are beautiful works of art. I am still not quite sure what to do with the wearever I paid 15.00 plus shipping which I am quite sure was too much but it did lead me into the pen story. Next I shall purchase a pen display case. Apparently you have to use these little pens every few days or they are not happy. And I do think the wearever has a sac somewhere inside but it doesn't come apart, so I am not so sure.

Anyway, hello from Nova Scotia. (this is a very informative site-thank you)

Carolyn

Carolyn

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carro

• rcarlisle

• Starguard

• turtle68

Hello and Welcome to our little pen forum! Enjoy!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Greetings Carolyn and welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Hello Carolyn, Welcome to FPN!

Wow, you are not wasting any time. What exactly is the model of your silver and gold Sheaffer? I love my Sheaffer Targa and TRZ and Fashion 1. I also recommend Watermans and Pelikans.

He came down from heaven and was made man.

fpn_1305512260__inkdroplogofpn.jpg member since May 15th, 2011

Welcome. Visited Hallifax some years ago, enjoyed the Citadel, Evangeline Beach, NSCAD, and many coffee shops and bookstores.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Wow, you are not wasting any time. What exactly is the model of your silver and gold Sheaffer? I love my Sheaffer Targa and TRZ and Fashion 1. I also recommend Watermans and Pelikans.

I am not sure about the model. It was 79.00 it is gold trimmed and brushed silver it has a white dot.

Because I am such a newbe to fountain pens I thought Sheaffer was the finest one could buy regarding a pen, I have since learned -thanks to this forum that there are oodles and oodles of other fountain pens, I really am enjoying using the one I got free from noodler, it works very nicely and I don't mind taking it to work - I am a nurse and lose pens something fierce -smile.

Carolyn

I am not sure about the model. It was 79.00 it is gold trimmed and brushed silver it has a white dot.

Because I am such a newbe to fountain pens I thought Sheaffer was the finest one could buy regarding a pen, I have since learned -thanks to this forum that there are oodles and oodles of other fountain pens, I really am enjoying using the one I got free from noodler, it works very nicely and I don't mind taking it to work - I am a nurse and lose pens something fierce -smile.

Carolyn

Acutually looking it over and trying to find it I think it is some form of Agio but it does not say so on it anywhere nor does the box say this.

Carolyn

Acutually looking it over and trying to find it I think it is some form of Agio but it does not say so on it anywhere nor does the box say this.

Carolyn

Greetings and welcome to FPN from a fellow Nova Scotian. Where exactly in NS are you from? I am guessing that if you found Noodlers's ink, you must have found Duly Noted. That is one great shop.

Greetings and welcome to FPN from a fellow Nova Scotian. Where exactly in NS are you from? I am guessing that if you found Noodlers's ink, you must have found Duly Noted. That is one great shop.

Yes and It is great, have already visited for ink and paper

Carolyn

Welcome !

All things considered, you haven't run away screaming. Therefore, you must be

pretty well captured by the FP crazy. Welcome aboard.

You will discover that there are some very nice-writing pens out there.

Style cost money. Art cost a lot of money. Jewelry has no limit. All are pens.

A good pen is not necessarly expensive.

Enjoy the hunt.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

The Agio is the present day descendent of the TRZ which became the Fashion 1 which became the Fashion 2 which became the Agio. I have not tried Agios but they are nice looking pens.

He came down from heaven and was made man.

fpn_1305512260__inkdroplogofpn.jpg member since May 15th, 2011

Hello and welcome from west Tennessee! Yeah, I'd say you've been infected with the virus, just like the majority of us here. One pen leads to 6, which leads to 15 or so and then just keeps increasing. Then there's the ink ... one bottle ... a dozen ... sort of creeps up on you. Can't forget the paper, the pen boxes, storage boxes and the list of needful things just goes on and on and on .... LOL I'm infected and not looking for any cure!!

Glad you've joined us!!

Thank you for welcomes, I think I have two no nonsense shaeffers in my little stash. They look exactly like a photo I saw somewhere on this board. They have gold plate nibs, and gold buttons on the flat end.

I am still trying to determine the little tiny shaeffer with a see through barrel,a chrome top and a fine nib. It is about 12.5 cm long capped. Perhaps someone knows?

Carolyn

And welcome from Alberta, too.

Sight unseen, I think you probably paid somewhere near the top of the market of your Wearever. The good news is that it can probably be restored to working condition. If you search around the site you will find quite detailed instructions. Just a hint, it involves a hair dryer!

The Sheaffer you describe seems like a "school pen". If the ends are round, it is first generation. I use "" because they were marketed as a cartridge pens but most seemed to end up in schools. In this part of the country, the kids called the translucent ones 'jellies'.

Your habit of losing pens will probably change. Ballpens tend to viewed as common property and frequently disappear. But so few people know how to use a fountain pen that you will likely find that your fountain pens will be left alone.