The Pelikan M1000 With Fine Nib

APHK

When my interest in fountain pens was rekindled a few months ago, I had not intended to purchase large expensive pens such as the Montblanc 149 and Pelikan M1000 since they were way beyond my target price range. However, as the FP addiction caught on, the MB149 was purchased soon after the Pilot Custom 823 and Pelikan M215. At first, the size of the MB149 felt a bit awkward and tiring on the hand but eventually I had grown used to that size and pens of the more usual size such as the MB146, Pilot 823 and Sailor 1911 did not feel right anymore.

The Pelikan M1000 did not really register on my radar until my curiosity on its so-called soft nib led me to Ebay. I would never have bought the M1000 at its regular retail price, but a surprise auction win meant that it was soon on its way from Germany.

Appearance & Design (7/10)

Nothing much to say here. This is a large pen made of black resin with some gold furnishings. Compared to some of the more colourful Pelikans, the M1000 look is a bit staid but I guess that this is the look that fits the target customer most.

However, whilst the resin is beautifully polished it does feel a bit slippery after prolonged writing (since there is bound to be some sweat on the fingers) and so my grip on the section is not as secure as I wish. To me (but not necessarily to you), this is a design flaw.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6568/img1289hx.jpg

Construction & Quality (10/10)

This is a solidly built pen – it feels more solid than the MB 149. The piston mechanism feels sturdy and is ultra smooth. The cap screws on in only 1 turn and fits onto the barrel very securely – unlike the MB149, the cap does not wriggle AT ALL when screwed on. I do not wear such large pens in my shirt pocket but the clip on the M1000 looks fit for heavy duty and built to last a lifetime.

Overall, the build quality of the M1000 is a class above the MB149.

Weight & Dimensions (8/10)

This is a large, heavy pen. It feels very similar to the MB149 until you actually hold it in the writing position. The MB149 has a better balance; I am not sure whether this is due to the weight distribution or the slightly wider girth of the MB149. With the MB149, the barrel rests squarely on the web of the hand between the thumb and fore-finger whilst with the M1000 the barrel is slightly higher (closer to the knuckle).

Overall, I prefer the ergonomics of the MB149 as the pen is better balanced and easier to control.

Nib & Performance (9/10)

The nib on the M1000 is massive. It is as long as the MB149’s but not as wide and, to my eyes, quite ugly. The nib on the M1000 is slightly controversial; some people hate the springiness and its flow rate. At first, I hated the M1000’s nib since those two characteristics made it write much wider than the “Fine” that it was supposed to be.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3518/img1249gn.jpg

However, with practice, I now write with much less pressure and so the tines are kept tight together most of the time unless I want them “flexed”. I have also tried a few inks and have found that Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku works wonderfully on the nib – the wetness is curbed and the nib now writes a pleasingly fine line.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3432/img1246ds.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance (10/10)

Here is where Pelikan excels. As previously mentioned, the piston is very smooth and sturdy. The nib on the M1000 can also be removed for easy cleaning of the nib or barrel.

Cost & Value (8/10)

The M1000 is an expensive pen but can be had at bargain prices if you shop around and so, compared to the MB149 whose retail price is much more tightly controlled, is good value for money since you are getting a top-of-the line writing instrument that is made to last and has a top quality nib.

Conclusion (52/60)

At first I was quite disappointed with the writing feel of the M1000 but have now got used to its nib and am starting to enjoy it. The nib offers some variation in line width and so is enjoyable to write with.

However, I would not use this pen for long writing sessions since the section gets a bit slippery due to the resin being too highly polished; the resin on the MB149 does not suffer from this slipperiness and hence I feel that the MB149 is a more dependable writer.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lewis

• APHK

• olivier78860

• Tennessee Dave

Just when I started to get interesting in Pelikan, and looking for a comparison between these 2 flagship pens, there it is!

Thank you for doing this direct comparison :thumbup:

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

Thanks for the comparison. I don't own either of these pens (I do own an M800 though) and have often contemplated the comparison. Many comparative reviews are somewhat bias in one way or the other, but yours seems an honest review, with both pens being the winner. I think you have answered this age old question of "M1000 or MB149" - both! :roflmho:

Thanks and enjoy your fantastic pens.

Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

Thanks for the comparison. I don't own either of these pens (I do own an M800 though) and have often contemplated the comparison. Many comparative reviews are somewhat bias in one way or the other, but yours seems an honest review, with both pens being the winner. I think you have answered this age old question of "M1000 or MB149" - both! :roflmho:

Thanks and enjoy your fantastic pens.

Yes, no pen is perfect and so we should point out the pros and cons of our pens.

I see that you have a CdA Leman and have read your review. I have a CdA in the post acquired from the classifieds last week. Not really sure what it is but looked like the predecessor of the Leman, the Equinox (well I hope it is but cannot recheck now since the advert has been deleted). Hope to have a review out on this CdA later.

Thanks for the nice review. Personally I prefer my 1000 series Pelikans over my 149. I love the springy, huge 1000 nib. They are rather reserved pens but the M1050 does add some bling with the vermeil cap.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Thanks for the review. Having just purchased a M1000 this was very timely.

Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

Thanks for the great review.

I purchased a 1005 a couple of months ago and, like you, it took me a little time to get used to the size and feel of the nib but now it is my favourite writer.

Mine also came with the fine nib and I found it too broad and wet for my taste so I sent it off to John Sorowka for a tweak and it is now much more to my liking.

Enjoy your pens.

Best wishes

Jon

I have been thinking about an M1000 now for the last couple of days :gaah:

There is so much debate between this and the 149. Take price out of the equation it would appear the choice is simply down to aesthetics and comfort, but in terms of build quality, I think you suggest that the M1000 is slightly better. I remember The Noble Savage reviewing this and he described it at the 'epitome of German fountain pen engineering' - or words to that effect. The question therefore remains is how the heck can MB charge £246 (149 at £510 v M1000 at £264) more for their pen!!! I guess people become infatuated with the snow cap. :bonk: Including me!

Lewis I just went through this same decision myself. I was really torn between the MB 149 and the Pelikan M1000. I chose to purchase the M1000 now and will delay purchase of the MB 149. I know that at least some of the price difference is due to the MB name and their marketing strategy so I decided to wait. I do not know that a pen could be better constructed or write any better than the M1000 than I have with a medium nib. It was Benderized. I am still hoping to pick up an excellent pre-owned MB 149 and I am being patient. If that doesn't happen then I will purchase new sometime within the next year. HOPEFULLY, once the MB149 is aboard and a Homo Sapiens I will feel contented and end this purchase madness.

Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

HI Dave, for me the obsession for the 149 isn't the craving of the features or benefits of the pen itself, it's the fact that it is a 149. I have put off buying one simply because I've built it up to be so high that I expect to be disappointed if I get one. The marketing guys (and girls) at MB do a great job to make us believe it really should be on a pedestal. Realistically, the M1000 provides much better value for money and I imagine I'll own one of those relatively soon as they are so much more within reach. Possibly a Christmas present to myself

I bought a Homo Sapiens earlier in the year. It's a great pen, but I sure wish it had the Pelikan filling system - the power system can be very temperamental to say the least!

According to my experience

The nib of the M1000 is much, much, much better than the 149's one.

And both of mine fell on the floor once. Linoleum for the MB, hard pavement for the Pelikan. The 149 directly went to the repairing center, the M1000 just got a little dent on the cap.

For long writing sessions, the Pelikan is more comfortable than the 149.

After saying this, it all depends on what you're looking for. A statutory pen ? MB. The best modern writing tool for the best price ? Pelikan.

I bought the 149 6 years before buying the M1000. I can say I wrote 6 years with a MB, now it's on the shelf; and I wouldn't buy it anymore, because its price has increased way beyond what it's worth.

Edited by olivier78860

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

That's a really honest review and great to hear. I always thought id regret buying an M1000 over a 149, but it seems I wouldn't. Interesting to hear the nib is streets ahead of the 149. Thanks for your view. Now to fight the temptation a few weeks before giving in!

I must add, to be completely honest, that I prefer the MB 149's style, especially when uncapped. Fluidity of forms, versus Pelikan's less eye-catching, massive and un-arty style. The surely is one of the best balanced pens, in terms of style.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

So you're saying you prefer the 149 to look at, but it terms of a pen, the M1000 is superior? I guess the Montblanc brand is more prestigious, perhaps purely because the price bracket they fall into, however with the odd exception, it seems many prefer the M1000 over the 149. I really must try a M1000 out for myself and find out what all the fuss is about the nib. My M800 nib (IMO) is quite bland, certainly in comparison to my Homo Sapiens.

I have thought about the experience with these two pens and will compare them against four criteria:

1. How they look and feel in the hand, no writing involved. Here the MB wins because it does appear more stylish and feels better because of it's curves.

2. How they feel when held in the hand in the writing position. Here the MB wins again because it has better balance and the section is wider for a more secure grip.

3. How the nib feels when writing. The Pelikan wins here because there is much more feedback from the nib. The MB nib is very stiff in comparison.

4. Which nib produces the best results. Here the Pelikan wins again since the nib provides more line variation and so looks more pleasing to the eye.

A draw! Ha these two pens will simply never be separated!

I hope you enjoy your CdA when you receive it. I only have the one, my Leman. It's the most consistent pen I own. Never skips, never fails to start, never has flow problems. Always works right every single time. A truly great pen.

Owning both, I prefer my vintage 149s to my two m1000s because of their larger ink capacity and better nibs

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

It looks like neither pen IS better than the other. In this small discussion alone there is torn opinion. It goes to show that both pens are equal and the differentiator is simply preference.