The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Reglus/industrial Revolution Review

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ruminator

Ruminator

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:19

Not long after I joined this forum, one of the welcomers suggested I write a review of the Sailor Reglus/Industrial Revolution fountain pen. I mentioned that I had one of them and he indicated a review would be appropriate.

I don't have a lot of experience with fountain pens (yet). I own a few and have some idea of what I like and what I don't like. The Sailor was one of my early purchases and I'm still pleased with the pens. So, without further pontification, here is my first review of a fountain pen. Enjoy.

Attached Images

• reglus.jpg
  • reglus-i.jpg
  • reglus-ii.jpg
  • reglus-iii.jpg
  • reglus-iv.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Nonsensical

Nonsensical

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:33

I have one of these! Mine's black, though. Cost me $45 including shipping. I adjusted the flow slightly, but for some reason mine is quite a wet writer, I'd put it at 7-8/10. Really smooth and classy looking writer. Great review, thanks!

#3 Laura N

Laura N

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:23

Thanks for this review. I think it's a really good looking pen. The orange color really appeals to me, for some reason.

-Laura

#4 Ruminator

Ruminator

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:52

@Nonsensical: That was a bargain. I have one of the black pens, too (filled with Noodler's Black) and I like it a lot. It's not a wet writer, though. I wouldn't be bothered if these pens wrote with a little wetter line.

@Laura: The Naranja (orange) color is very cool. It's almost an apricot. :)

#5 Holdav

Holdav

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 13:08

How strange, as there wasn't one for this pen I started writing a review for this last night, Great minds! Mine is in orange and has a sparkle to it that I adore. My one problem is the nib, in my eyes/hands its very scratchy, I could have a bad nib though or I'm not used to writing with a Japanese Fine (European XF), and like you, wish it came in a medium.

Great review Reminator! :thumbup:

#6 Pickwick

Pickwick

Pickwick

• Member - Gold

• 1,931 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 13:26

Very good review, I bought one last year and it proved a reliable writer. A few months ago I modified the feed and installed an antique Kurtz dip pen and turned the barrel into an eyedropper. Hadn't used it for about three months. Your review reminded me, so I've just tried it and it worked first time. I experimented because I became influenced by forums about flex nibs.

Kind regards,

Pickwick

Edited by Pickwick, 06 September 2011 - 13:28.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

#7 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,515 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 14:34

This is the first time I have seen these. I love the orange color.

Where can you buy these?
the Danitrio Fellowship

#8 Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2011 - 16:36

Thanks for the review. Good looking pen.
Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

#9 Ruminator

Ruminator

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:48

@Holdav... GMTA! :) If you have a strong magnifier or a loupe, you can look at the alignment of the tines. That's what I did. Also, all of the Reglus pens have the speckly-sparkly material. It's really sharp looking.

@Pickwick... That is one strange looking Reglus! :)

@Doug... JetPens sells them and I think Todd does at isellpens does too. Then there's engeika (sp?) on eBay who often has one up for auction. I believe I bought one from JetPens, one from Todd, one from engeika, and caught a Naranja lightly used from an eBay seller who couldn't handle the Japanese fine nib. Prices varied but none as good as @Nonsensical. :( That was a good buy.

I'm looking hard at the Sapporo mini that engeika sells. He sells it with a shortened converter and the lava red is gorgeous. It also comes in a Japanese medium nib. :)

Thanks all...

#10 Pickwick

Pickwick

Pickwick

• Member - Gold

• 1,931 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:25

@Holdav... GMTA! :) If you have a strong magnifier or a loupe, you can look at the alignment of the tines. That's what I did. Also, all of the Reglus pens have the speckly-sparkly material. It's really sharp looking.

@Pickwick... That is one strange looking Reglus! :)

@Doug... JetPens sells them and I think Todd does at isellpens does too. Then there's engeika (sp?) on eBay who often has one up for auction. I believe I bought one from JetPens, one from Todd, one from engeika, and caught a Naranja lightly used from an eBay seller who couldn't handle the Japanese fine nib. Prices varied but none as good as @Nonsensical. :( That was a good buy.

I'm looking hard at the Sapporo mini that engeika sells. He sells it with a shortened converter and the lava red is gorgeous. It also comes in a Japanese medium nib. :)

Thanks all...

I use a dip pen for writing letters, then took the plunge modifying the Reglus and beefing up the capacity of ink by turning it into an eyedropper. Despite what I did it still writes reliably, also it controls the flow of Noodler's inks which is not suitable for dip pens. I use Diamine Registrars along with Rohrer and Klingner Salix inks with my dip pens.

Kind regards,

Pickwick

Edited by Pickwick, 07 September 2011 - 11:30.

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

#11 myyrkezaan

myyrkezaan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:46

Engeika sold 2 today in 2 new colors: gun metal red and blue

http://www.ebay.com/...f#ht_3186wt_849

Can't find the red now, but it looked real nice.

#12 s5s

s5s

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2014 - 18:43

I like this pen but people should be aware that it is fairly small. The pen itself without the cap is about 1cm shorter than Lamy Safary's body (without cap). It is also very light. The cap is heavy but without the cap the pen is feather-light.

#13 Russianwolf

Russianwolf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:01

I just recently found this pen in a little shop in San Fran. I found the Orange, which I think has now been discountinued, adn like it a good bit.

12065647_10208736597479049_5134457840536

#14 Aramchek

Aramchek

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2015 - 00:07

It's been on my list of pens to buy for some time. Annoyingly, the two versions I find most tempting are also the two that cost more than the others.

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3 Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

#15 Aurko

Aurko

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:34

I have had a few and I would recommend them if you're considering one; they might not be the best value in the world, but they have some pretty interesting styling as far as Sailor pens go, and are very solid writers. Only other thing to keep in mind is that they tend to be a little drier than the Sailor gold nibs. Sailor gold nibs are about a 6 in wetness, and the Reglus is around a 5. Just wet enough to keep from skipping or misbehaving. 

Sponsored Content

|