The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

Nib History

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,863 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 19:08

This seems to be a good place to ask, I have a pen with Je-We, Elasta gold plated nib, with a odd pointed "cursive" nib.
I have not been able to run down Je-We Elasta. It needs a bit of smoothing, but looks like some sort of German parker, with the fletches smoothed off the Arrow. Parker in 1929 and late 30's Parker tried a couple of times to get into the German market and failed. So this Piston filler unmarked pen could be factory remainders or a very nice counterfit. It is a mottled green with fine parallel copper looking lines.

My wife's Uncle who died a while back seemed to have good taste in solid pens.

I have an Osmia Supra on an Omia-Farber-Castell pen too. I don't know much but it looks like it's a fine that is slightly flexible or a medium. It needs a tad of smoothing, but if it is rotated slightly to the right, it writes well a nice wet line.

I don't know if a small black Osmia piston filler with a scratchy normal Osmia nib and missing the end cap is worth anything, he left that too.

The only pen he had that was not a piston filler was an Esterbrook with a 2968 nib.
I was going to flea market it all until I spotted the gray Esterbrook, and now I’m collecting pens, if I get lucky.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 01 May 2009 - 19:37.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sponsored Content

#22 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 18,863 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 13:36

FPN Google Custom Search

That is a beautiful search machine. I looked at the first two things I put in and hit the jack pot.
I'm glad, this time I copied the info that was translated from Thomas's work.

It is also very interesting to see where one was when one was noobie. That Je-We nib got ruined. :headsmack: That was before I knew of the brown paper bag trick. Nibs are real soft metal. Knives hard.

The piston pen with the Arrow was a 1950 Columbus from Italy.

On finds out that that scratchy Osmia was an Oblique M 30 degree and not scratchy at all. :headsmack:

"""I have an Osmia Supra on an Omia-Farber-Castell pen too. I don't know much but it looks like it's a fine that is slightly flexible or a medium. It needs a tad of smoothing, but if it is rotated slightly to the right, it writes well a nice wet line."""" Brown paper bag trick smoothed the nib well, and the nib is maxi-semi-flex/'flexi' M.
I learned too look at the back of the pen. :headsmack:

What was 'funny' was looking at old forgotten posts, and finding out how much one has learned in the mean while. ;)
Well there is still much to learn. Luckily there always will be.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#23 penboard.de

penboard.de

Penboard.de

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:18

Hello to all,

searching info on Luxor I found this post.
wonderful summary of the nib making industry. Thanks !

Let me add some North German aspects:

PLUMA in Hamburg,
founded in 1921 (the year Astoria was founded.....)
They produced till beginning of the 60ies.
Their main customer at the beginning - Astoria.
But you can find their "warranted nibs" on many other German pen brands, e.g. on Ric Lei Pens.

I once bought a presentation box full of these nibs, with a card left in there giving the PLUMA adress.
It was left as a sample at the Kaweco Factory beginning of the 30ies.
(A friend of mine, who sold it to me years ago, had bought it from the widow of the last Kaweco owner, so the source is quite reliable).

Posted Image

Best Regards
Tom
Tom Westerich

See whats newly listed on PENBOARD.DE

email: twesterich@penboard.de
Abruzzo/Italy and Hamburg/Germany

#24 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 11,767 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2012 - 13:04

very interesting, thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#25 AidenMark

AidenMark

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:23

The southern-scribe link referred to in the thread seems to have disappeared. There is an internet archive version here:

Less is More   - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

#26 drrusso

drrusso

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:23

Hello Everyone!

I was searching history of various nib manufactures & ended up here. 

Thanks to all of you for sharing the information & history.

Best,

Arvind.

Best regards, Arvind.

#27 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:00

There’s a bit of knowledge floating around here. Ask away if you have questions.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

|