Edison Collier

krandallkraus

Excellent! I'm sure you're going to have fun with this. I sure did. And Brian is always open to seeing materials he hasn't seen before. I genuinely would like you to keep me posted on how this progresses and whether you end up with a pen or not. You can find my email on my profile page. Have a blast! And thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah, I'm already having fun thinking of different ways to make my pen unique (to me, at least)! However, it won't be made until 2012, at my request. It's sort of informal at the moment. I can keep you posted when I formally place my order in a couple of months, if you like.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krandallkraus

• alvarez57

• blopplop

• DAYoung

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the craftsmanship on edisons is excellent :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

What a wonderful review. Your second paragraph - absolutely right on! As for that beautiful pen - it's just been added to my wish list.

Thank you.

Excellent! I'm sure you're going to have fun with this. I sure did. And Brian is always open to seeing materials he hasn't seen before. I genuinely would like you to keep me posted on how this progresses and whether you end up with a pen or not. You can find my email on my profile page. Have a blast! And thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah, I'm already having fun thinking of different ways to make my pen unique (to me, at least)! However, it won't be made until 2012, at my request. It's sort of informal at the moment. I can keep you posted when I formally place my order in a couple of months, if you like.

Yes, I would very much like to hear how you like your pen and what you end up getting. Thanks for that offer.

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

I have three production "Eddies" purchased from Goulet and love them all. I have the cobalt and cappuccino Nouveau Premier pens, and the Persimmon Swirl Collier. I've been using the Collier a lot because it is sooooo gorgeous (and it's fall! Persimmons are ripening on the tree). Sometimes, I just get them out and gaze upon them. They are like jewels to me and they write really well.

I have three production "Eddies" purchased from Goulet and love them all. I have the cobalt and cappuccino Nouveau Premier pens, and the Persimmon Swirl Collier. I've been using the Collier a lot because it is sooooo gorgeous (and it's fall! Persimmons are ripening on the tree). Sometimes, I just get them out and gaze upon them. They are like jewels to me and they write really well.

And what more could one ask?

Well, I pulled the plug and picked up a Collier in silver marble. Definitely a visually stunning pen. I got mine from Richard Binder-- sprung for the 18kt-broad, and had Richard grind it to a .8mm stub with a #7 flow rate. I'm very blessed to say the least. A great sermon writer !!!!!!

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

...Sometimes, I just get them out and gaze upon them. They are like jewels to me and they write really well.

I know what you mean!!!

I have a Pearl in gecko acrylic (grasshopper green with black swirls) and the cappuccino Nouveau Premiere, and just got the Collier in persimmon swirl. Looking at the three of them together takes my breath away!

And writing with them is a supreme experience. The Pearl and the Collier are quite large for my small hands, but they're so well balanced and light that they're extremely comfortable to hold. And since the nibs are so smooth, one needs not use any pressure at all to get a beautiful wet line. I often make up reasons to write things down so that I can pull one of these out and enjoy it. (Both the steel nibs and the 18k are incredibly smooth.)

• 2 weeks later...

If I had to let go of one of my Eddies it would probably be the Herald, but not because I don't like it. At one time the stub nib got screwed in too tightly and in trying to take it out to switch it for one of my other nibs I damaged the feed a bit. l smashed it, so it doesn't feed properly. But I love the pen itself and because I love the stub nib I can't bring myself to switch it out again for a Medium or Fine, so it's living in the pen, but sometimes it writes dryly. I could get another one from Brian, but I just never have done so, probably because I've spent so much on pens I don't have the money to replace the nib. More likely because I'm much too embarrassed to let Brian know I did something so stupid. I try to take such good care of my Eddies and this was just a moment of panic a couple years ago shortly after I started collecting Eddies and I put a towel over the nib, got pliers and tried to gently unscrew it. And when I got it off the feed was smashed. Oh! I guess if he reads this he will find out anyway. Damn! Brian, don't read this.

You could just return the nib unit to Brian and ask him to put your nib (the nib itself) into another nib unit with a new section, or you could buy a new nib unit and swap the nibs over yourself. It's not difficult to remove and replace the nibs from the unit, I do it whenever I'm changing from a dark to a light ink to ensure it's thoroughly clean.

Craig

"Those Who Know What's Best For Us, Must Rise And Save Us From Ourselves."

Witch Hunt - Neil Peart

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• 1 month later...

I just set an order for an Edison Nouveau Premiere in cobalt, after much fretting over whether the blue would be too flashy (was shifting between cobalt and black, as I typically prefer understated things). It's my first step beyond $100 in a pen, and caused me much grief as I am mostly a pencil geek and don't use pens very much. I've only got a TWSBI 530/540 and a Pilot Prera, and so the decision involved a lot of pacing and chin rubbing.

After seeing some of these pics of the Collier, I wonder if perhaps I made a mistake! I first thought I didn't really like the slightly beefy shape of the Collier or the clip shape, but that antique marble acrylic looks quite attractive, and the whole pen has a very pleasant overall style without being gaudy.

Oh man...I can't spend another $150 on a pen yet. It'll take months to justify the Nouveau Premiere to myself. Argh. wacko.gif

Thanks for the review and the photos!

Robert.

I just set an order for an Edison Nouveau Premiere in cobalt, after much fretting over whether the blue would be too flashy (was shifting between cobalt and black, as I typically prefer understated things). It's my first step beyond $100 in a pen, and caused me much grief as I am mostly a pencil geek and don't use pens very much. I've only got a TWSBI 530/540 and a Pilot Prera, and so the decision involved a lot of pacing and chin rubbing.

After seeing some of these pics of the Collier, I wonder if perhaps I made a mistake! I first thought I didn't really like the slightly beefy shape of the Collier or the clip shape, but that antique marble acrylic looks quite attractive, and the whole pen has a very pleasant overall style without being gaudy.

Oh man...I can't spend another $150 on a pen yet. It'll take months to justify the Nouveau Premiere to myself. Argh. wacko.gif

Thanks for the review and the photos!

You'll love the cobalt. I don't have a Nouveau, one of only 2 Eddies I don't own. And if you don't like it in the end, I'll be whoever you bought it from would let you trade it for a Collier. Anyway, enjoy your Eddy. I know you will.

I'm really loving my new Collier. I had my 18kt-B ground down to a .8mm stub--"Binderized," as we say. Nice and wet; really a stunning looking pen.

Here's a couple pics.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xYIw7WsMQmU/TsIIcsVs_XI/AAAAAAAAAjc/AIoJYOvFv1U/s800/100E2714.JPG?gl=US

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-mROnZBMb3s8/TsIIdQFZPsI/AAAAAAAAAjg/ryAudDr4SoM/s800/100E2744.JPG?gl=US

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

I'm really loving my new Collier. I had my 18kt-B ground down to a .8mm stub--"Binderized," as we say. Nice and wet; really a stunning looking pen.

Here's a couple pics.

100E2714.JPG?gl=US

100E2744.JPG?gl=US

Dave

Here's a couple pics.

https://lh5.googleus...E2714.JPG?gl=US

https://lh5.googleus...E2744.JPG?gl=US

Dave

Gorgeous. And it will write even better than it looks!

dear krandall,

magnificent pen and magnificent review, it is so nice that you give yourself an fp for a birthday gift. such worthy gift for such a worthy day. hope that your dogs are doing fine.

enjoy your pens in excellent health.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

dear krandall,

magnificent pen and magnificent review, it is so nice that you give yourself an fp for a birthday gift. such worthy gift for such a worthy day. hope that your dogs are doing fine.

enjoy your pens in excellent health.

rgds.

krishna.

Thank you Krishna. I wish everyone would learn that the best way to be sure you get what you want for your birthday is to buy it for yourself. I even wrapped it up and saved it for my birthday. I do the same thing at Christmas. It probably comes from being an only child and always getting what I wanted. As an adult whose parents are both deceased, I have to make sure this only child still gets what he wants. Not everything, just the important thing: pens.

• 2 months later...

Gorgeous pen, Krandall...thanks for sharing...

What is the pen/colors in your Eddy group shot below the green pen near the bottom of the photo?

Thanks!

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy