• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krandallkraus

• alvarez57

• blopplop

• Amandaa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for a great review. I've been eyeing this one for a while, but like the custom pens too.

I'm sorry I didn't make it clearer in my review that you have two purchase options with the Coller: you may buy the production pen and select from what is offered through retailers for $150, or you may go directly to Brian and choose your own material, nib, etc. (Brian, if I am mistaken about this, please correct me.)

Actually, I did just contact Brian about a custom Collier since I'm in love with Cappuccino Swirl. He said that the pricing for a Collier would start at $250 if I want a Cappucino Swirl since that would make it a custom pen, not a production one. When I contacted Goulet Pens about buying a production Collier, they said that the order would be fulfilled by Edison Pens and that I could order a modified nib for an additional $40 charge. So perhaps it's the material that makes it a custom pen, not the nib.

I hope this helps (and that it's correct)!

Paul

ps - this is my first post. I've been reading FPN for a couple of months now and love the information, community, and passion that I find here!

I thought that I'd jump in on this one.

(first off, big thanks to Krandall. He has a knack for writing, eh?)

To answer Production vs Custom Colliers....Production Colliers are available from Richard Binder, Goulet Pen Company, or Goldspot only...not me. They are $150, and only available in the three production materials. If you want a customized nib, you can purchase the pen from any of the retailers, and do the nib customization through me, or of course, Richard Binder can do this as part of the purchase through him.

If you want any other material than those three, then they are custom direct from me, and start at $250.

Thanks!

Brian

Thanks, Brian. Knew I could count on you.

Phone calls last just minutes, emails get deleted, but letters live forever.

Great review. Great Pen-lust candy, it is. Zooming now over to Brian's site for another look-see. . . .

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."

--James Baldwin

fpn_1345308125__danifellowship.jpg

oh yeah, that material is way prettier than it was coming off in other photos! i love that black and red swirly pearl(?) it appears to be. love that material too!

Thanks for the kind words, Barry. The Violet Flake, which seems chameleon-like to me, is the pen lying crossways on the top of the others. If I had to let go of one of my Eddies it would probably be the Herald, but not because I don't like it. At one time the stub nib got screwed in too tightly and in trying to take it out to switch it for one of my other nibs I damaged the feed a bit. l smashed it, so it doesn't feed properly. But I love the pen itself and because I love the stub nib I can't bring myself to switch it out again for a Medium or Fine, so it's living in the pen, but sometimes it writes dryly. I could get another one from Brian, but I just never have done so, probably because I've spent so much on pens I don't have the money to replace the nib. More likely because I'm much too embarrassed to let Brian know I did something so stupid. I try to take such good care of my Eddies and this was just a moment of panic a couple years ago shortly after I started collecting Eddies and I put a towel over the nib, got pliers and tried to gently unscrew it. And when I got it off the feed was smashed. Oh! I guess if he reads this he will find out anyway. Damn! Brian, don't read this.

First of all, very nicely written review. Not the usual one and I like that.

Second: very beautiful pen. I love earth tones.

Third and last: We all are humans and this is not a mortal sin, maybe a bit expensive one thoug. Let him know what happened and if there is a remedy for this pen (My edit bold).

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I enjoyed reading this string, as I am about to buy a Morgan (it will be my first Eddie) in green - debating between the Green Pearlized Acrylic and the Green/Black Swirl Acrylic, whichever looks better with silver clip accent (I am partial to silver accents, rather than gold). KK, in your photo, it looks like you own two Eddies in a green which I don't see on Brian's site; yours looks snappier than Edison's current dark green, but not as neon as Edison's current lighter green/black swirl acrylic. Can you share what shade of green your Eddies are? From your photo, they appear to have the silver clip, which I prefer, so I am wondering how you like that look. Thanks.

Sure, Esterfella. One is my Pearl in Aurora Borealis (the Pearl toward the top) and it is very popular, one of my very favorites. The one near the bottom is a #76 in Ebony Green Swirl Ebonite. You should contact Brian and ask him what other greens he has that aren't showing up on his site. He usually has a few colors in reserve. Also you can find your own material at some place like Bear Tooth Woods, buy it and send it to him and he'll make a pen for you.He will also hunt one down for you if you don't mind waiting. I did this with my Pearl Scarlet-Black, which I believe Brian now carries; also did it with my Herald, which is Cobalt and Brian started carrying that as well. There's lots of stuff out there to look at. You just have to find them. Good luck. KK

Edited by krandallkraus

Well, I'm pitching in for the Collier, same one you got Krandallkraus. I contacted Brian, but he didn't have the logo nib for a Mina. Having already blown the budget for pens, I can get an entry one with two pens I am selling. This will give me a chance to get introduced to that steel nib. I don't want to pay for a gold one now.

It is a beautiful pen! And your review moved me into finally getting an Edison. Thanks!

sonia alvarez

Well, I'm pitching in for the Collier, same one you got Krandallkraus. I contacted Brian, but he didn't have the logo nib for a Mina. Having already blown the budget for pens, I can get an entry one with two pens I am selling. This will give me a chance to get introduced to that steel nib. I don't want to pay for a gold one now.

It is a beautiful pen! And your review moved me into finally getting an Edison. Thanks!

You are going to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy with this pen. You can always Mina later. And you can tell me about it. It's the only Eddy I don't have.

Congratulations!

Thanks for the kind words, Barry. The Violet Flake, which seems chameleon-like to me, is the pen lying crossways on the top of the others. If I had to let go of one of my Eddies it would probably be the Herald, but not because I don't like it. At one time the stub nib got screwed in too tightly and in trying to take it out to switch it for one of my other nibs I damaged the feed a bit. l smashed it, so it doesn't feed properly. But I love the pen itself and because I love the stub nib I can't bring myself to switch it out again for a Medium or Fine, so it's living in the pen, but sometimes it writes dryly. I could get another one from Brian, but I just never have done so, probably because I've spent so much on pens I don't have the money to replace the nib. More likely because I'm much too embarrassed to let Brian know I did something so stupid. I try to take such good care of my Eddies and this was just a moment of panic a couple years ago shortly after I started collecting Eddies and I put a towel over the nib, got pliers and tried to gently unscrew it. And when I got it off the feed was smashed. Oh! I guess if he reads this he will find out anyway. Damn! Brian, don't read this.

First of all, very nicely written review. Not the usual one and I like that.

Second: very beautiful pen. I love earth tones.

Third and last: We all are humans and this is not a mortal sin, maybe a bit expensive one thoug. Let him know what happened and if there is a remedy for this pen (My edit bold).

My Herald is on its way to Brian. Thanks for the support---and courage.

You are going to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy with this pen. You can always Mina later. And you can tell me about it. It's the only Eddy I don't have.

Congratulations!

eureka.gif well your article was the solution to my dilemma. When Brian told me the Mina didn't carry the nib with the logo...well, I really want that nib for I find the logo is soo cool. Call it silliness, but the smaller nibs look like the cheap iridium I used to have in my cheap, cheap disposable pens . The-e-e-en I saw this Huron model with the bulb filler....as I kept on seeing things that I liked, the price went up and up. I can spend a fortune in a glimpse, thank God -like we say in Spanish, the voice of my consciousness is loud enough to scream bring me back into my senses....although I bought a notebook/PC today....headsmack.gif

sonia alvarez

If I had to let go of one of my Eddies it would probably be the Herald, but not because I don't like it. At one time the stub nib got screwed in too tightly and in trying to take it out to switch it for one of my other nibs I damaged the feed a bit. l smashed it, so it doesn't feed properly. But I love the pen itself and because I love the stub nib I can't bring myself to switch it out again for a Medium or Fine, so it's living in the pen, but sometimes it writes dryly. I could get another one from Brian, but I just never have done so, probably because I've spent so much on pens I don't have the money to replace the nib. More likely because I'm much too embarrassed to let Brian know I did something so stupid. I try to take such good care of my Eddies and this was just a moment of panic a couple years ago shortly after I started collecting Eddies and I put a towel over the nib, got pliers and tried to gently unscrew it. And when I got it off the feed was smashed. Oh! I guess if he reads this he will find out anyway. Damn! Brian, don't read this.

If the Herald has a gold nib that's valuable you might be able to just replace the feed. If Brian's sells feeds separately I doubt they would be very expensive. They're just a piece of ebonite.

You could also switch in the feed from another of our Eddies.

Congratulations!

eureka.gif well your article was the solution to my dilemma. When Brian told me the Mina didn't carry the nib with the logo...well, I really want that nib for I find the logo is soo cool. Call it silliness, but the smaller nibs look like the cheap iridium I used to have in my cheap, cheap disposable pens . The-e-e-en I saw this Huron model with the bulb filler....as I kept on seeing things that I liked, the price went up and up. I can spend a fortune in a glimpse, thank God -like we say in Spanish, the voice of my consciousness is loud enough to scream bring me back into my senses....although I bought a notebook/PC today....headsmack.gif

Good for you, Sonia. Why wait for a tomorrow that may never come or may find you unable to use a notebook? Life is too short not to give yourself a gift or a reward every once in a while for working hard. I know you're going to love your Eddy and I hope you will let me hear from you when you get it and even consider posting a review. I'm anxious to know what color ink you put in it. Hope to hear from you soon. KK

If I had to let go of one of my Eddies it would probably be the Herald, but not because I don't like it. At one time the stub nib got screwed in too tightly and in trying to take it out to switch it for one of my other nibs I damaged the feed a bit. l smashed it, so it doesn't feed properly. But I love the pen itself and because I love the stub nib I can't bring myself to switch it out again for a Medium or Fine, so it's living in the pen, but sometimes it writes dryly. I could get another one from Brian, but I just never have done so, probably because I've spent so much on pens I don't have the money to replace the nib. More likely because I'm much too embarrassed to let Brian know I did something so stupid. I try to take such good care of my Eddies and this was just a moment of panic a couple years ago shortly after I started collecting Eddies and I put a towel over the nib, got pliers and tried to gently unscrew it. And when I got it off the feed was smashed. Oh! I guess if he reads this he will find out anyway. Damn! Brian, don't read this.

If the Herald has a gold nib that's valuable you might be able to just replace the feed. If Brian's sells feeds separately I doubt they would be very expensive. They're just a piece of ebonite.

You could also switch in the feed from another of our Eddies.

By tomorrow the Herald should be in Ohio. I decided to stop being silly and have Brian fix it. It will be like getting a new Eddy all over again. Thanks for your suggestion, though. It hadn't occurred to me that I could switch out the feed. I'm glad to know that and will keep it in mind in future.

Congratulations!

Good for you, Sonia. Why wait for a tomorrow that may never come or may find you unable to use a notebook? Life is too short not to give yourself a gift or a reward every once in a while for working hard. I know you're going to love your Eddy and I hope you will let me hear from you when you get it and even consider posting a review. I'm anxious to know what color ink you put in it. Hope to hear from you soon. KK

I will receive it after I come back from visiting my family in Spain (last time I was there was 32yrs!!!!!). That will be by the end of this month. I have several inks that I can play with. Yup! Life is short, that's why I'm finally taking that trip that I'm so excited about.

You will hear from my Collier. thumbup.gif

sonia alvarez

This is by far the best review of a pen I've ever read! Bravo to you for resisting the scale and giving numerals to determine value. A thing of beauty such as your Edison pen deserves both an aesthetic and emotional response as well as commentary on function. I have two Eddies and am waiting for a third, but now you've shown me an entirely new level of beautiful Edisons! Wow indeed!! Thank you for this terrific post!

Also you can find your own material at some place like Bear Tooth Woods, buy it and send it to him and he'll make a pen for you.He will also hunt one down for you if you don't mind waiting.

Thanks for sharing this! I couldn't decide on a material for my next pen, as none of the ones in Brian's gallery really stood out for me. But I took a look at the Bear Tooth Woods site and now have an idea of what my next pen will look like. I've already contacted Brian, so we'll see how this goes!

Also you can find your own material at some place like Bear Tooth Woods, buy it and send it to him and he'll make a pen for you.He will also hunt one down for you if you don't mind waiting.

Thanks for sharing this! I couldn't decide on a material for my next pen, as none of the ones in Brian's gallery really stood out for me. But I took a look at the Bear Tooth Woods site and now have an idea of what my next pen will look like. I've already contacted Brian, so we'll see how this goes!

Excellent! I'm sure you're going to have fun with this. I sure did. And Brian is always open to seeing materials he hasn't seen before. I genuinely would like you to keep me posted on how this progresses and whether you end up with a pen or not. You can find my email on my profile page. Have a blast! And thanks for getting back to me.

Krandall

See what a good review of a good product produces? Your review should be given the award of the review of the month (maybe year?) for its sincerity, inspiration and originality. clap1.gif

(Brian should have you as his PR person...just kiddin')

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez