Cs Sandringham

Fermata

Sorry, but for me, too, it is not obvious why this would be the best looking pen you can buy.

Of course it is a matter of taste. To each his/her own.

I find the contrast silver-color too much, and while I apreciate the art of the engraving I do not like it on these pens.

Besides it evades me what makes up the essence of each pen, why it is attached to that particular palace. Are the acanthusleaves in the blue pen special for Windsor? Is Balmoral a brownish palace? Why is this new pen typical "Sandringham" and not "Blenheim"??

I also do not like metal sections, but I can forgive that on special pens (just bought a Dunhill Sentryman... There the metal section works..) but not on these pens.

I have no doubt it is a good pen as a writer, as most modern CS pens are based on the same nib/feed.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marckuypers

• rogerb

• DAYoung

• watch_art

Sorry, but for me, too, it is not obvious why this would be the best looking pen you can buy.

I find the contrast silver-color too much, and while I apreciate the art of the engraving I do not like it on these pens.

Besides it evades me what makes up the essence of each pen, why it is attached to that particular palace. Are the acanthusleaves in the blue pen special for Windsor? Is Balmoral a brownish palace? Why is this new pen typical "Sandringham" and not "Blenheim"??

I also do not like metal sections, but I can forgive that on special pens (just bought a Dunhill Sentryman... There the metal section works..) but not on these pens.

I have no doubt it is a good pen as a writer, as most modern CS pens are based on the same nib/feed.

D.ick

I suppose one could equally ask, D.ick, what it is about the Sentryman which is 'sentryman-ly' rather than, say, 'guard-ish'? :rolleyes:

I assume that pens in this series were regarded as all being somewhat 'regal', so they were named after Royal Estates .... of which, of course, Blenheim is not one.

FWIW (not much!) Sandringham has lovely green gardens, and Balmoral has beautiful Autumnal colours .... I have visited them both :)

I'm not sure what's blue about Windsor, and I wonder if they planned to have the other two models when they designed it, a few years ago. (Blue is a 'regal' colour!)

But isn't that somewhat irrelevant ..... relatively few pens are, IMO, identifiably related to the names they are given .... except, possibly, in the Design and Marketing Departments!

I guess that Parkette didn't know what she was letting loose by the inference in the thread title .... it always seems to exercise the forum's critical faculties to suggest that a pen is 'the best' or 'the worst' in some respect. It's a dangerous game :rolleyes:

In my eyes, the beautiful Italian celluloid of the Tibadi Iride and Stipula Etruria, coupled with their nicely balanced shape, probably make them the 'best-looking', of my pens ..... but I wouldn't expect any consensus among forum members. It is just SO subjective, so there really is no 'Best' .... and many people just don't like brown!!

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

"I guess that Parkette didn't know what she was letting loose by the inference in the thread title .... it always seems to exercise the forum's critical faculties to suggest that a pen is 'the best' or 'the worst' in some respect. It's a dangerous game "

You are absolutely right Roger, I should have kept my own counsel and gone away muttering something about Pearls and Casting and Swine.

I had asked for the thread to be removed, but that didnt happen.

The last post.

But make your own mind up

If I'm honest and actually address the instruction "But make your own mind up" in all seriousness I would say the Sandringham - because it's a rather nice green pen. Well, most of it is anyway, and that's where we all started.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I respect that there is a wide range in taste and fancy when it comes to almost anything, including pens. Mine does not include the CS pens shown. The pens that are fairly ornate just seem to belong in a museum instead of my hand. I am much more of a black or blue resin with rose gold or silver trim kind of man. Yes, the CS pens shown are pretty but not to my taste. /Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

I don't think I ever saw the Thames looking blue ..... except, maybe, downstream from a chemical plant (I don't think they make ink in the Thames valley) :lol:

But it's probably as blue as The Blue Danube!

(Actually, the Thames is nowadays quite a clean river ....especially when you consider the densely populated areas it flows through!)

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

I note that 'Windsor Blue' is a cigarette brand name and also a colour in a well-known paint manufacturer's range, both here in the UK. Sandringham Green is a place in Leeds and there's a style of gentleman's bespoke lace-up boot called the Balmoral, which is available in brown.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I quite like these. I also thought they were the same pen in different colors. But, looking closely I can see that the engraving varies and, perhaps, these are different in size. Can't tell from the picture.

Of the colors, I like the gold/brown Balmoral. I have a Nelson in the green that looks very good on the Nelson with the gold trim but seems less compelling with the silver trim in the photo.

My most beautiful pens? I think I'd include:

•  

• Nakaya Neo in Aka-tamenuri, a design, finish, & color that are beautiful in their simplicity.
  • Conway Stewart Churchill in Brown Whirl, rich & stately color on a substantial pen that goes great with gold trim.
  • Pilot Vanishing Point Raden, silver trim with dark blue ends that dissolve into a translucent snow storm of mother of pearl flakes at the center.
  • Delta Miya in dark blue with a thick, true polished silver trim framing a gracefully curved midnight blue true celluloid barrel that, when struck by the light, projects glimmers like the diamond in an engagement ring with light blue highlights from deep within the pen.
  • Pelikan M800 Demonstrator, a starkly simple transparent piston-fill pen with gold bands, nib & clip that perfectly accents the rich color if the ink with which its filled. Incredible when filled with PR American Blue.

Edited by PatientType

Delta Miya in dark blue with a thick, true polished silver trim framing a gracefully curved midnight blue true celluloid barrel that, when struck by the light, projects glimmers like the diamond in an engagement ring with light blue highlights from deep within the pen.

Montegrappa? These are all lovely pens you mention.

Edited by GeeTee

D.ick

I suppose one could equally ask, D.ick, what it is about the Sentryman which is 'sentryman-ly' rather than, say, 'guard-ish'? :rolleyes:

I assume that pens in this series were regarded as all being somewhat 'regal', so they were named after Royal Estates .... of which, of course, Blenheim is not one.

FWIW (not much!) Sandringham has lovely green gardens, and Balmoral has beautiful Autumnal colours .... I have visited them both :)

I'm not sure what's blue about Windsor, and I wonder if they planned to have the other two models when they designed it, a few years ago. (Blue is a 'regal' colour!)

But isn't that somewhat irrelevant ..... relatively few pens are, IMO, identifiably related to the names they are given .... except, possibly, in the Design and Marketing Departments!

I guess that Parkette didn't know what she was letting loose by the inference in the thread title .... it always seems to exercise the forum's critical faculties to suggest that a pen is 'the best' or 'the worst' in some respect. It's a dangerous game :rolleyes:

In my eyes, the beautiful Italian celluloid of the Tibadi Iride and Stipula Etruria, coupled with their nicely balanced shape, probably make them the 'best-looking', of my pens ..... but I wouldn't expect any consensus among forum members. It is just SO subjective, so there really is no 'Best' .... and many people just don't like brown!!

About the Sentryman: I agree, does not fit the name, Postman would be better. Or did they have someone at guard at the postboxes in the past? Still, I like the pen, even with metal section.

If you make one pen, you can get away with a silly name, but if you make a series with connected names you would better have a story ready. That way you might convince people to buy the lot. I just failed to make the connection, being non-British (but an Anglophyliac) (and I did know Blenheim is not a Royal palace, FWIW)

It does not make the pens more or less pretty, as I said that is a matter of taste. Parkette loves her pen, and that is wonderful. It is a good thing there are so many tastes.

But indeed, a subtitle like that is a invitation for a debate on taste, while de gustibus non est disputandum...

D.ick

Edited by RMN

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Parkette, my question was a serious one. I spent three years as a Research Fellow in Aesthetics, and I'm genuinely curious about folks' responses to beauty.

Over the years, my appreciation has been enhanced and enriched by good conversations about beautiful things.

Being dismissed as a swine or donkey is a surprise.

Damon Young

philosopher & author

OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

http://content.damonyoung.com.au/aor.jpg

Delta Miya in dark blue with a thick, true polished silver trim framing a gracefully curved midnight blue true celluloid barrel that, when struck by the light, projects glimmers like the diamond in an engagement ring with light blue highlights from deep within the pen.

Montegrappa? These are all lovely pens you mention.

:embarrassed_smile: Yes, Montgrappa... thanks GeeTee for the correction. Someone might have read my post and then spend an undue amount of time curiously trying to find a picture of the non-existent "Delta." Got too wrapped up with the image of the pen in my mind and then credited the wrong company.

Could be wrong, but I don't think anyone was referring to you, David .... it was a fair question, anyway, IMO, and one I tried, in a way, to answer from my perspective.

Don Marquis

I think Marcus Hunt's engraving is magnificent and I am also a big fan of his father's engraving too!

The Sandringham edition is sold out.

http://www.mvburke.com/images/limitededitionsfldr/sandringham/sandr2.jpg

Edited by Mary Burke

As it's not obvious, perhaps you can point out what makes it 'the best-looking pen'? What qualities make it stand apart from other pens?

I keep some retired race horses, you would not believe how fussy they are with their food, everything has to be perfect and taste fantastic.

I also have some elderly donkeys, these are rescue donkeys, they have all been mistreated and now have a life of leisure. They havent got a clue when it comes to food, eat anything, it makes no difference to them whether they have brussels sprouts or best strawberries.

Some like the best, others havent got a clue.

I understand that ... makes sense.

I think Marcus Hunt's engraving is magnificent and I am also a big fan of his father's engraving too!

The Windsor is very striking. Was the engraver influenced by William Morris' designs, or the broader English 'arts and crafts' movement?

Damon Young

philosopher & author

OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

http://content.damonyoung.com.au/aor.jpg