Taccia Doric - Icarus Yellow

Alpha_Cluster

This is my first review so hopefully its not bad. This will actually be more a preview for now but I hope to add more to it in the future (a page refresh caused me to lose the first 1/3 of it written so I am not trying my luck this time).

I got interested in getting the Taccia Doric after I heard about it for the first time on the Goulet's Write-Time show a few weeks back. When they first put it up on the store I just knew it was ment to be be mine so I snatched it up quickly. When it arrived I was very happy with this choice.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Alpha_Cluster/Taccia%20Doric/DoricCover.jpg

This pen is a wonderful combination of yellow and brown and its just wonderful to look at. The only real issue I have is with the pearl on the clip which seems almost out of place but yet fits at the same time. It does have a metal grip area which I know is something that many people might be bothered by but I think the pattern on the metal makes it acceptable as it is not to slippery.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Alpha_Cluster/Taccia%20Doric/DoricWritingSample.jpg

What surprised me most about this pen was how smooth it wrote. I am a sucker for a two-toned nib and when I was shopping the only Taccia two-tone nib that was offered with the Doric was the broad. So since I have been wanting to try a broad nib I thought "why not?" I can safely say that I was pleasantly surprised. It writes really smooth. I have had some small issues with ink flow where it tends to start a bit dry when you first start writing but it flows by the end of the down stroke and it may be related to the ink (Noodlier's Bulletproof Black).

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Alpha_Cluster/Taccia%20Doric/TacciaBroad2-tonenib.jpg

The last thing I want to talk about is the size of this pen. It's pretty fat. I didn't realize this till I got it and I was kinda surprised. It doesn't really fit into my aston single pen case as the cap is so wide. I do like the bulk though it feels well built and I am sure I will find a way to protect it. The weight surprised me. With how large it was I really expected more heft to it but after opening it I realized the cap was over half the weight of the pen. I don't post my pen so this isn't a big deal but if you like posting your cap you can but it's cap heavy. For some perspective of size below is an image of the Doric next to a Lamy Vista.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i28/Alpha_Cluster/Taccia%20Doric/DoricSize.jpg

I would defiantly recommend this pen to anyone looking for a larger sized pen. Also since it was only $76 I would say it's a great deal since the nib is nice. Now that sad news. I don't know if you can find this pen anymore. At the time of writing the only color the Goulet's had left was the purple and I got the only Yellow they had so it might be hard to fine. Thanks for reading and hopefully this pre/review was helpful.

Edited by Alpha_Cluster

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alpha_Cluster

• PenTieRun

• watch_art

• MrsGouletPens

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review! Glad to hear you're happy with the nib and the flow, I've been impressed with the quality of Taccia's pens so far. We saw the Doric (or as I inadvertently keep calling it, the (bleep)) at the DC Pen Show and I was really taken by it. I'm normally not for big pens but this one was really nice, and a great price for the size of the pen. And yep, you snatched the last (and only) Icarus Yellow we had! :thumbup:

I've had this pen for a few years, and--yes--it can be a dry starter. Give it a couple of firm shakes, and it should start writing just fine. If memory serves, dryness is more prominent with use of the converter than with use of cartridges. Still, it's a very nice pen.

Could there be air getting through the cap somehow? I just ground a nib on a Leban Mento and the clip lets air right on in to dry things out - no matter how it's stored.

Air would be able to get in through the clip attachment. Also I have noticed with the converter that the ink doesn't flow really easily in it though that could be the Bulletprood Black...

very nice taccia :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time