The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Taccia Doric - Icarus Yellow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_Cluster

Alpha_Cluster

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:07

This is my first review so hopefully its not bad. This will actually be more a preview for now but I hope to add more to it in the future (a page refresh caused me to lose the first 1/3 of it written so I am not trying my luck this time).

I got interested in getting the Taccia Doric after I heard about it for the first time on the Goulet's Write-Time show a few weeks back. When they first put it up on the store I just knew it was ment to be be mine so I snatched it up quickly. When it arrived I was very happy with this choice.

Posted Image

This pen is a wonderful combination of yellow and brown and its just wonderful to look at. The only real issue I have is with the pearl on the clip which seems almost out of place but yet fits at the same time. It does have a metal grip area which I know is something that many people might be bothered by but I think the pattern on the metal makes it acceptable as it is not to slippery.

Posted Image

What surprised me most about this pen was how smooth it wrote. I am a sucker for a two-toned nib and when I was shopping the only Taccia two-tone nib that was offered with the Doric was the broad. So since I have been wanting to try a broad nib I thought "why not?" I can safely say that I was pleasantly surprised. It writes really smooth. I have had some small issues with ink flow where it tends to start a bit dry when you first start writing but it flows by the end of the down stroke and it may be related to the ink (Noodlier's Bulletproof Black).

Posted Image

The last thing I want to talk about is the size of this pen. It's pretty fat. I didn't realize this till I got it and I was kinda surprised. It doesn't really fit into my aston single pen case as the cap is so wide. I do like the bulk though it feels well built and I am sure I will find a way to protect it. The weight surprised me. With how large it was I really expected more heft to it but after opening it I realized the cap was over half the weight of the pen. I don't post my pen so this isn't a big deal but if you like posting your cap you can but it's cap heavy. For some perspective of size below is an image of the Doric next to a Lamy Vista.

Posted Image

I would defiantly recommend this pen to anyone looking for a larger sized pen. Also since it was only $76 I would say it's a great deal since the nib is nice. Now that sad news. I don't know if you can find this pen anymore. At the time of writing the only color the Goulet's had left was the purple and I got the only Yellow they had so it might be hard to fine. Thanks for reading and hopefully this pre/review was helpful.

Edited by Alpha_Cluster, 03 September 2011 - 04:08.

Sponsored Content

#2 MrsGouletPens

MrsGouletPens

The Goulet Pen Company

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:38

Great review! Glad to hear you're happy with the nib and the flow, I've been impressed with the quality of Taccia's pens so far. We saw the Doric (or as I inadvertently keep calling it, the (bleep)) at the DC Pen Show and I was really taken by it. I'm normally not for big pens but this one was really nice, and a great price for the size of the pen. And yep, you snatched the last (and only) Icarus Yellow we had! :thumbup:

FinalBanner-Transparent-300.jpg

#3 PenTieRun

PenTieRun

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2011 - 00:17

I've had this pen for a few years, and--yes--it can be a dry starter. Give it a couple of firm shakes, and it should start writing just fine. If memory serves, dryness is more prominent with use of the converter than with use of cartridges. Still, it's a very nice pen.

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2011 - 00:26

Could there be air getting through the cap somehow? I just ground a nib on a Leban Mento and the clip lets air right on in to dry things out - no matter how it's stored.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 Alpha_Cluster

Alpha_Cluster

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:00

Air would be able to get in through the clip attachment. Also I have noticed with the converter that the ink doesn't flow really easily in it though that could be the Bulletprood Black...

#6 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 September 2011 - 19:28

very nice taccia :thumbup: thanks for sharing
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

|