The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Wing Sung 237

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 00:32

DSCF2357.JPG
wingsung1.406.jpg
DSCF2361.JPG
wingsung2.407.jpg
DSCF2363.JPG
wingsung3.408.jpg
DSCF2364.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 Osmaroid

Osmaroid

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 00:53

Nice Review, thanks.

I have quite a few different Wing Sungs, and had not inked many of them as, when I first tried them several years ago, I found performance rather variable, too often with too much tooth (almost catching).

Last week I was reviewing a document with many changes and needed several colors of ink to annotate those changes. I took out 3 identical Wing Sungs with different color barrels and looked at the nibs under a loupe. Two did not have the tines aligned perfectly. A little work with smooth jawed pliers prior to filling and lo and behold, I had three smooth performers with no further nib smoothing needed. I can live with the need for a little nib adjustment on pens that cost a small fraction of most that I own. I can see that I will be using them more in the future.

#3 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:15

Thanks for the review. I own a green 237. It has a nice flow and a western medium with nib. Nice little pen that writes well.
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#4 Ernest

Ernest

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:47

Hi,

Your WingSung review brought to mind the WingSung 220 I bought last year.
Paid US$18 for 10 pens. Came in 3 colours..Red, Green, Brown.
I grounded half of them from fine to cursive italics.
Here are some pictures to share:

#5 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2011 - 13:39

Nice job on the nibs Ernest, they look good.

#6 akafridi3

akafridi3

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2014 - 23:50

I just ordered this pen form china, look forward to using it. Any chance this can be converted to an eyedropper?

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2014 - 18:57

I dunno.  I saw an Ink Nouveau video on how to eyedropper fill a pen and as a result there are little dots of Kung Te Cheng all over my grandparents' dresser from attempting it with some pen or other....  After that little fiasco I stick to the filling system a pen already has!  :rolleyes: 

As to this particular pen, I now have it -- thanks Uncle Red!  I don't use it a lot but I do like it.  While he may have thought of it as a "cheap-feeling" pen, I think it's better than two of the Guanleming pens I have (the #193 "calligraphy" [fude] pen, and the 2001 Demonstrator [on which the cap finial broke off, leaving the screw threads still inside the cap].  The 237 is a pretty color, writes nicely, and has a bit of heft to it -- more so that I would expect on a $5 pen (and nicer than some of the vintage 3rd tier pens I have, including an Arnold for which I foolishly paid two to three times what the pen was worth -- I feel *extremely* sorry for whoever got suckered by the same Ebay seller into paying even more than the $30 I dropped).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

|