What's Your "grail Pen"

ReconNinja95

In my early days of collecting for the sake of collecting after having used fountain pens for over thirty years, any pen that I discovered on the net that was different and unique was my "grail" pen for the time it took to either buy it or to lose interest. Once bought or no longer considered worthy, I moved on to the next pen.

Now older and wiser, I have realised that all the pens were special at the time but only 2 are perennial "grail" quality pens. The first is the Parker 75 in sterling silver "Cisele" finish, to my eye the most beautiful pen I have ever seen. The second is the Parker Duofold Centennial in pearl and black. Big and bold size and proportion, stunning finish and "oh" that gorgeous nib.

Fortunately I have acquired them both, can enjoy them at my leisure and no longer have to search for the "grail".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• ReconNinja95

• raging.dragon

• Mangrove Jack

Pilot Namiki Elabo metal in SEF: expensive, but really oustanding! and , second, the Pilot custom 823 brown F. , all bought from J-subculture!

But my Pelikan M805 F Stresemann and the Lamy Imporium Black F are not very far!

Japan and Germany rule the FP world!

• 2 weeks later...

For the vintage category, I have three holy grails. Parker 51, Wahl Eversharp Skyline and finally the one and only Parker UK Duofold Maxima.

For the modern, I like my Pilot Metropolitan.

Mont Blanc Agatha Christie for me - love the author, love the look of the pen.......outside my price range sadly

You and me both! Found one for less than $1000 not too long ago. Then I saw why. Poor thing had been abused badly.

May sound strange, but I will still say it. Parker 45 Harlequin Black Shield. Beautiful looking, excellent weight, balance and feel for me. The "Peter Twiddle" gold nib in it has just the right combination of smoothness and tooth.

Right out of the gate, I found the grail pen that first got me interested in learning about fountain pens. And it gave me "the bug." Got myself a Waterman 100 Year in red. Found for a great price a couple weeks ago at the pen show. Now I'm in a stumper trying to decide on my next grail pen. I wish I could get this lucky with my "grail watch."

Sheaffer 1996 Holiday ballpoint. Gold plated or filled cap, decorated with holly, and a bright red barrel.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Sheaffer 1996 Holiday ballpoint. Gold plated or filled cap, decorated with holly, and a bright red barrel.

Interesting. What do you like about it ?

Interesting. What do you like about it ?

I like the cap. The cap I have on the fountain pen is seasonally festive and pretty. The color of the barrels would complement the cap a bit more if it were less bright, but it is good nonetheless.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks pajaro. I am looking for a nice ballpoint - need a slightly wide section with good grippy surface. My Pelikan K200, which is near perfect, needs some company.

$250 OBO on the bay right now... (not my listing)

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

$250 OBO on the bay right now... (not my listing)

... And Here I am thinking that the Pelikan K series ballpoints at $100 were expensive.

... And Here I am thinking that the Pelikan K series ballpoints at $100 were expensive.

They are stupid expensive for a ballpoint - but in my opinion they're the best looking ballpoint ever made! My K600 has a monteverde gel refill in it and writes great for those times when a fountain pen doesn't fit the bill.

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p799/sandygriff/FullSizeRender%208_zpsfjpqwo1m.jpg