• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• ReconNinja95

• raging.dragon

• Mangrove Jack

Im pretty much finding out that almost everyones grail pen HAS to be expensive it seems. I wonder why that is...

Favorite Pen: Lamy Vista F nib

Im pretty much finding out that almost everyones grail pen HAS to be expensive it seems. I wonder why that is...

As much as I hate the term as an atheist, one can only assume any "grail" has to be difficult to acquire, a lamy safari isn't exactly that.

Edited by UltraMagnus

politician and idiot are synonymous terms - Mark Twain

A Waterman Edson. It looks like an amped up version of the Carene. It may not be a rare vintage pen, but it's one I really like and is the most expensive pen I desire.

I want it but the price is making me think twice to say the least... :embarrassed_smile:

Still, Grail pens are supposed to have a hint of sacrifice, right? :thumbup:

The silver 120 years LE Edson was my grail for a long time. Earlier this year I came across one in the wild, NOS, but without the box. Priced as it was when it came out. The shopowner was willing to lower thet price by another 30%.

It still was a lot of money but I jumped on it. Without regret.

I hope you will find one like that as I find them great pens. (though there are people around here cursing these pens for their nail like nibs. Quite so, but incredibly smooooth nails..

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Because if it was easily affordable they'd just buy it. To be a grail pen it has to be difficult to acquire, either expensive or rare (which usually equates to expensive).

A Waterman Edson. It looks like an amped up version of the Carene. It may not be a rare vintage pen, but it's one I really like and is the most expensive pen I desire.

I want it but the price is making me think twice to say the least... :embarrassed_smile:

Still, Grail pens are supposed to have a hint of sacrifice, right? :thumbup:

The silver 120 years LE Edson was my grail for a long time. Earlier this year I came across one in the wild, NOS, but without the box. Priced as it was when it came out. The shopowner was willing to lower thet price by another 30%.

It still was a lot of money but I jumped on it. Without regret.

I hope you will find one like that as I find them great pens. (though there are people around here cursing these pens for their nail like nibs. Quite so, but incredibly smooooth nails..

D.ick

I'm quite happy with my Esdon LE too! Mine was a smooth and reliable writter out of the box.

Dennis

Mine are simple-ish - a MB Starwalker Black Mystery and a Starwalker Black Rubber and Platinum. A green Pelican M800.

I'm just a simple kinda guy.

Right now the TWSBI Vac 700 pretty much fits the bill (after I cut the nib for some flex).

and how do you go about doing that?

Funny thing is, I was just think about this the past two days without having read your post. At first I tried to think of some way of removing material (and therefore stiffness) from the nib, but I couldn't see any way to do that. Then I recalled a quiz post about judging flexiness by the looks of a nib, and a vague recollection of shoulder to tine length ratio. Aha! I can add flex to a nib by lengthening the slit. My approach would be to drill a new (or additional) breather hole closer to the pen body, and then extend the slit to the new breather hole. But I have no way of making so fine a cut. Is this your approach? What do you use to make the cut?

Does this warrant a new topic?

Right now the TWSBI Vac 700 pretty much fits the bill (after I cut the nib for some flex).

and how do you go about doing that?

Funny thing is, I was just think about this the past two days without having read your post. At first I tried to think of some way of removing material (and therefore stiffness) from the nib, but I couldn't see any way to do that. Then I recalled a quiz post about judging flexiness by the looks of a nib, and a vague recollection of shoulder to tine length ratio. Aha! I can add flex to a nib by lengthening the slit. My approach would be to drill a new (or additional) breather hole closer to the pen body, and then extend the slit to the new breather hole. But I have no way of making so fine a cut. Is this your approach? What do you use to make the cut?

Does this warrant a new topic?

I think that would ruin the nib. I think the best approaches would removing material from the sides of the nib tines to make the tines narrower and/or removing material from the underside of the nib to make the tines thinner. However, be warned that there is a significant risk of ruining the nib. You may have to sacrifice several nibs perfecting your technique before you achieve the result you want. And even then the steel alloy used may limit how much flex you can get.

I'm beginning to wonder if "grail pen" is a term that was developed by some secret association of pen manufacturers and sellers to keep the rest of us in the market long after any rational person would have decided they've had enough....

I'm beginning to wonder if "grail pen" is a term that was developed by some secret association of pen manufacturers and sellers to keep the rest of us in the market long after any rational person would have decided they've had enough....

I think a rational person would stop after they got their first pen.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Just started this hobby a month or so ago, so my "grail" isn't near as neat as most here, but I have my eyes set on a yellow Sailor 1911. Nothing to fancy, but a massive step up from the chinese pens I've been using since I started. One day...

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot

Just started this hobby a month or so ago, so my "grail" isn't near as neat as most here, but I have my eyes set on a yellow Sailor 1911. Nothing to fancy, but a massive step up from the chinese pens I've been using since I started. One day...

No need for a grail to be ludicrously expensive or rare. If the Sailor 1911 tickles your fancy, there's no reason why it shouldn't be a grail. By the way, I'm looking at your username and it's nice to meet another Rush fan =)

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Mine would be a Pilot M90 and a Sheaffer Legacy, for now....

Edited by dww970
fpn_1305512260__inkdroplogofpn.jpg member since August 9th, 2011

I think a rational person would stop after they got their first pen.

Yuki

Good point, but I didn't want to put a hard number on the number of pens vs. how rational the person might be.....

Still looking for my Grail Pen:

Waterman #7 Pink Nib which flexes from Extrafine to BBB.

Anyone willing to sell this to me?

ernest

There was one on eBay a while back. It sold for more than $400.

Mine is my Pelikan Blue Planet, with the Sailor King of Pen with the triple King Eagle nib. Tend to use them both every day.

Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

No need for a grail to be ludicrously expensive or rare. If the Sailor 1911 tickles your fancy, there's no reason why it shouldn't be a grail. By the way, I'm looking at your username and it's nice to meet another Rush fan =)

Yuki

Thanks, always nice to meet other Rush fans :)

The Highlander was a documentary, and the events happened in real time.

Montblanc|Pelikan|Geha|Senator|Sailor|Pilot