Pilot Custom 845 = Pilot's Sad Flagship ?

Patrick L

1- The Pilot Custom 845 is filled by converter , and converters are not the usual deal for the best fountain pens. However, some Pilot pens are self-fillers and many fountain pen fans prefer self-fillers to cartridge/converters.

Danitrio's Nakayas, Platinum, and Sailor all are cartridge/converter based pens. There is nothing wrong with cartridge/converters if they all do their job well. Seeing as how feeds have been improved to the point where they pretty much eliminate the problems commonly associated with primitive eye droppers, there really shouldn't be any need to make something more complicated, but some people like that.

2- There's only 3 reviews of the Pilot 845 on this website whereas you get more , sometimes much more, reviews for other Pilot models.( 6 reviews for the Prera,11 for the Falcon, 35 for the Vanishing point , etc). Could it possibly mean that the world of mouth was not very positive and people are not interested to buy it ?

No, of course not. How many people usually buy a pen and then review it? I know I always have the intention, but I fail on the follow through. The reviews only represent a small fraction of the people who have bought this pen. Also, you need to consider, how many people can afford a Prera versus a 845. Any company's pickings witll be weighted towards their cheaper more readily available pens.

3- I read the 3 reviews and users like it. But I observed that none of the reviewers called it "best ever pen" , whereas as least two members consider the Pilot Custom 823 as their best pen.

It's all subjective. Out of how many 823 reviews was that? I would call sampling bias for this call.

There is nothing to say that this pen does any more or less than others. Just so happens that it's not reviewed much. If I had the cash, I would have splurged for one long ago.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nicholasyeo

• Patrick L

• Icywolfe

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems some people are just expressing their own opinions on the pen they don't have (or used), which is really of no value to someone who is looking for constructive evaluation and opinion.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

... and I must say they are revolutionary.

Not the shape: classic cigar

Not the filler: goes back at least to the Onoto

Not the gold/black combination: definitely old school

Not that it's a demo: getting pretty routine

Not the gold nib: it's been done bigger, smaller, fancier, and plainer.

Nope, just another pen.

gary

Nope, just another pen.

gary

I was just exaggerating... why the need for such a strong rebuttal? LOL HAHAHAHA :roflmho:

Clearly the 845 will win over some points, especially since it costs so much more? Whether it's

cost can be justified should be left to the buyer, finally, to decide. :thumbup:

On this note, since I should give a substantiated opinion rather than merely my feelings,

Let me get this straight - I in no way endorse the statement that the "Pilot Custom 845 = Pilot's Sad Flagship".

I don't think Pilot would put out a pen that it has no confidence and faith in. That'll be really silly wouldn't it?

Of course it's a lovely pen. There are alot of things I like about it, but it isn't that perfect - I had one of it to

hold in my hand the other day, and it felt really solid. But the price?!!!

Alright, so speaking in terms of ink capacity, the 845 also loses to the 823 because it can't hold anything

close to 2.2ml in ink. (A CON-70 holds approximately 1.0ml of ink or less.) That doesn't make it anywhere

near bad either - my Sailor converter can only hold 0.7ml, which is... pathetic, of course. Nothing amazing.

So we're down to the finish of the pen - of course! Urushi, that oh-so-lovely exotic lacquer. Here, the 823

clearly loses out to the 845. That justifies the cost, then... Another area that the 845 wins is in balance -

the 823 is more weighted toward the back when the cap is posted. And hey! I like flat tops too - I don't like

the traditional torpedo shape of pens. :headsmack:

Of course let's leave out the nib (which is same in size and design) and the clip, which is the same in design.

No, wait, in fact I really don't like the clip on my 823s... I much prefer the clip on the Heritage series of pens.

And all the gold that is on these pens?! But I'd have two 823s over one current 845 anyday... :thumbup:

On another note, I don't think Pilot should send their 845 aka Flagship to fight the Mont Blanc 149...

I don't think it's a good idea. Maybe a pimped up 845 incorporating the 823's vacuum filling system?

Wow, I would surely chase that dream pen down... It'll be incredible that way - urushi, balanced, vacuum fill?

Here's a great review for you: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31801-pilot-custom-845-urushi/

On another note, I don't think Pilot should send their 845 aka Flagship to fight the Mont Blanc 149...

I don't think it's a good idea.

Why not? A urushi lacquered ebonite pen with an excellent nib, although c/c filled, can compete with a piston resin pen.

I don't think it's a good idea.

Why not? A urushi lacquered ebonite pen with an excellent nib, although c/c filled, can compete with a piston resin pen.

Haha... You're getting me convinced indeed. I would actually really like one of these Urushi pens myself.

I don't like gold trims, so I'm thinking the Galaxy Maki-e, a Nakaya Portable Writer or one of those Sailor

King of Pens... Never occurred to me to get a 845 until now! The Con70 is a dream though. Compared

to the rest. That I know for sure. :thumbup:

Nope, just another pen.

gary

I think you are right. I guess some people could get enamored with his own pens and rationaize his own purchases. Which is normal human reaction, I believe. On another note, there are a few other threads on the 845, which I think are more informative as they were written by someone who owned the actual pen to test and evaluate it.

Edited by Pen2009

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Alright, so speaking in terms of ink capacity, the 845 also loses to the 823 because it can't hold anything

close to 2.2ml in ink. (A CON-70 holds approximately 1.0ml of ink or less.) That doesn't make it anywhere

near bad either - my Sailor converter can only hold 0.7ml, which is... pathetic, of course. Nothing amazing.

The Pilot 823 holds only about approximately 1.5ml ink as advertised by Pilot themselves on their product page: link

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pilot 823 holds only about approximately 1.5ml ink as advertised by Pilot themselves on their product page: link

Best

Hari

I saw a video on Youtube that shows how you can get the pen filled to maximum capacity

rather than the 70% that the manufacturer intended. This means, it can hold more than the

1.5ml that they intended, getting you over 2ml of ink. You can do so by pushing the air

out of the converter, placing the pen back into the bottle and then filling it again! Here:

There is a Youtube video which illustrates the process.

• 3 years later...

I just purchased a Pilot Custom Enju. This is one of the wooden versions of the 845. I have always wanted the 845 but never wanted another black and gold pen so I jumped on the chance to purchase the Enju when I saw it. I got the fine nib (I have the #15 in Medium on my 823). I'll give you guys a review as soon as it arrives.

Edited by n2o

It's not sad at all but a classically understated attractive Japanese design. Ebonite and urushi is a beautiful combination. The ONLY thing I've liked about my annoying Noodlers Ahab is the warm feel of the ebonite in my hand when I hold the pen. Therefore I'm assuming that the 845 is going to feel at least as nice and likely much nicer.

I don't have an 845 yet; it was going to be the one pen I bought this year, but instead, I got my first resin Falcon and liked it so much I had to buy another resin and then also a metal version; I now have F, M, and B Falcon nib sizes and can swap any nib size onto the metallic Falcon body as the fancy suits me or as the writing task at hand requires. Also bought a Custom Heritage 912 stub nib in 2015; this is another great writer. Based on the positive reviews here from FPN people whose opinion I respect, I'm also assuming that the 845 is going to be a very sweet writer. I'm still not quite sure if I'll get a standard M nib, or, go for the FA nib which is a shop exclusive offered by Tokyo Penshop Quill in Japan. I will get an 845 this year and will really try to stop buying any more FP's after that. I will then have an almost a complete line of standard Pliot pens (excepting the 823 which I may get in some future year but not any time soon).

The 845 represents a pinnacle pen for me and I'm planning on not buying more FPs after that but just focusing on improving my handwriting by using all of my beautiful Pilot pens.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

It's not sad at all but a classically understated attractive Japanese design. Ebonite and urushi is a beautiful combination. The ONLY thing I've liked about my annoying Noodlers Ahab is the warm feel of the ebonite in my hand when I hold the pen. Therefore I'm assuming that the 845 is going to feel at least as nice and likely much nicer.

I don't have an 845 yet; it was going to be the one pen I bought this year, but instead, I got my first resin Falcon and liked it so much I had to buy another resin and then also a metal version; I now have F, M, and B Falcon nib sizes and can swap any nib size onto the metallic Falcon body as the fancy suits me or as the writing task at hand requires. Also bought a Custom Heritage 912 stub nib in 2015; this is another great writer. Based on the positive reviews here from FPN people whose opinion I respect, I'm also assuming that the 845 is going to be a very sweet writer. I'm still not quite sure if I'll get a standard M nib, or, go for the FA nib which is a shop exclusive offered by Tokyo Penshop Quill in Japan. I will get an 845 this year and will really try to stop buying any more FP's after that. I will then have an almost a complete line of standard Pliot pens (excepting the 823 which I may get in some future year but not any time soon).

The 845 represents a pinnacle pen for me and I'm planning on not buying more FPs after that but just focusing on improving my handwriting by using all of my beautiful Pilot pens.

The general saddness comes from the fact that the original nib selection is like non-existant.

But, who bumped a 4-5 year old topic? >:[

#Nope

I just purchased a Pilot Custom Enju. This is one of the wooden versions of the 845. I have always wanted the 845 but never wanted another black and gold pen so I jumped on the chance to purchase the Enju when I saw it. I got the fine nib (I have the #15 in Medium on my 823). I'll give you guys a review as soon as it arrives.

My Enju, also with a fine nib, was the first of now four 845s. I think you'll enjoy it and the nice inden pen case it comes with.

Yep I did. I was digging up info on the 845 before I pulled the trigger on my Enju order. I had to look really far back to get anything on the 845.

What I find interesting and I think indicative of the growth of the FPN and the fountain pen "hobby" in general is that this resurrected post was "hot" this time around and generated more interest more quickly than the original post. May we all live well and prosper, and just maybe, spread a little more humanistic warmth because of our passion for the very humanizing and intimate act of writing and the pleasures of pen, paper and ink.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

http://imgur.com/jb1MtXh.jpg

as I said 845 seems to get a yearly 50 piece treatment for Maruzen here's for this year however I'm not sure if all the 50 pieces have been reserved for pre-order

and if I say it right it seems for this pen fair though I'm not sure if it's the lighting but it's color seems to imitate it's original western cousin the Parker Duofold big red since more or less the 845 seems to be heavily been inspired with the Duofold, like Sailor's inspiration for the KoP Profit in the MB 149

Edited by Algester