The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

A Custom Edison Huron Grande

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dnayakan

dnayakan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:44

An Edison Huron Grande in flecked tortoise shell acrylic. I exchanged a couple of emails with Brian about material etc. I had decided on some criteria - an oversize pen, bulb filler and translucent material. Settled on the tortoise shell acrylic. About a month later, this showed up.

IMG_1556.jpg
IMG_1557.jpg

The first couple of photographs are ones that Brian sent me. The rest of them I took with unsteady, shaking hands - so excuse the nasty picture quality.

020.jpg
022.jpg

This is an absolutely gorgeous pen. The tortoise shell acrylic is a lovely material - very beautiful translucence, which is quite difficult to capture in a casual photo. The pen is a desk pen and is thus clip-less.

023.jpg

To describe this pen as large would be quite accurate - in the same way that describing the sea as moist is accurate. Unless you were a decent sized troll, you would not be posting this. It has an absolutely gargantuan appetite for ink - my ink bottles visibly cowered when confronted with this behemoth. To see how large it is, look at the comparison photograph with the Pelikan 400. The bulb filler makes sucking up ink a doddle, and one can move on to writing, ignoring the ink bottles mumbling about 'at least we won't see him around for a couple of months.' The only parallel to what the ink bottles experience is probably villagers coming out after the Mongol hordes have left.

024.jpg

The pen has a cursive italic nib ground from a fine tip yielding a broad stroke in the region of about 0.7 mm. It writes quite delightfully.

The only problem I have now is that it seems criminal to leave this lovely chained to a desk. I suppose I could walk around town with it and look like a modern copper who wants to express himself rather than carry the regulation issue black truncheon. Speak softly and carry a big stick, I was advised.

Brian was a delight to deal with. Sent me updates and offered excellent advice. The craftsmanship on this is superb. I make things myself and do not say this idly.

A writing sample attached.
00000001.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 bartlee01

bartlee01

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:04

Nice pen!

#3 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:59

Great review! I like your sense of humor. ;)

That is pretty darn big! I'd love to see it sitting next to a MB 149 and an M1000. Any idea of exactly how many ml's of ink it holds?

Thanks again for the review, and enjoy your new pen!

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#4 dnayakan

dnayakan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:21

Any idea of exactly how many ml's of ink it holds?

I should have measured this before inking it - ah well, when I exhaust the first fill, I'll try to remember and measure it. Given the size, expect an update around 2013... :doh:
Cheers, DJ

#5 bgray

bgray

Edison Pen Co.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:31

Any idea of exactly how many ml's of ink it holds?

I should have measured this before inking it - ah well, when I exhaust the first fill, I'll try to remember and measure it. Given the size, expect an update around 2013... :doh:
Cheers, DJ

I'll jump in on this one. That particular model will hold 2.5mL of ink.

Thanks for posting, DJ!

#6 Tennessee Dave

Tennessee Dave

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:32

Congrats and enjoy that beauty.
Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

#7 GeeTee

GeeTee

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:59

Nice pen, love the colour....looks large enough to use as a baseball bat :)

#8 Tiffanyhenschel

Tiffanyhenschel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2011 - 14:09

That is a beautiful pen. I know you will enjoy it for a long time to come.
"Life is too big for words, so don't try to describe it. Just live it."
- C.S. Lewis

Posted Image

#9 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2011 - 15:57

The Huron Grande and Herald Grande are both on my wishlist.

Sponsored Content

|