Pilot Murex

AlexandraM

At today's Toronto pen meet, we visited Laywine's Pens and Organizers where I got this pen. According to my long time fountain pen friend it was a great deal. Here's a short review of this pen:

Details:

Pilot Murex Fountain Pen

Manufactured August 1983

Fine nib

Currently filled with Diamine Deep Magenta

I did not initially plan to buy this pen. It won me over based upon its trial run on a Rhodia notebook in the shop and my friend's suggestion that I would like it. So I bought it, and when I got home I tested it along with my new Diamine ink.

There are many descriptions of this pen on this forum and online, so I won't go into that. I buy my pens to write with at work and at home, and this was the plan with this pen. The Murex is definitely sturdy enough for that. It's heavier than my usual everyday pens, being stainless steel, but it's slender enough to feel comfortable in my small hand. I like the weight of the cap on the end, but I took it off during a long journal writing session because my hand was becoming fatigued. Without the cap it feels much more lightweight than it looks, which contributes to its being a great everyday writer.

I like my nibs really fine. My two favorite writers are my Pilot Birdie <F> and Platinum Preppy 0.3. While the Murex's Fine nib is not as scratchy or toothy as those can be, it lays down a smooth and uniformly thin line. I love this, as I find it annoying when a Medium or Broad nib leaves a feathery blob on paper.

I will include it in my daily writing tools, and am excited about becoming more familiar with the Murex and its history. Score another for my beloved Pilot FPs!

I admit that I have a lot to learn about this storied pen - but I am honoured that it found its way to me!

Edited by AlexandraM

Alexandra M.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlexandraM

• PatientType

• WOBentley

Top Posters In This Topic

Good catch and nice review! Congratulations!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Good catch and nice review! Congratulations!

Thank you and thank you! Am enjoying the Murex very much :thumbup:

Alexandra M.

I think you'll find that your new pen is of better quality than the Preppie and somewhat more solid than the Birdie. Those Murex pens were made to last. Congratulations.

Just stopping by to add that I have now used the murex for one week, mostly at work and It continues to live up to the high expectations I had when I bought it.

Sometimes I get a bit of leakage when it's capped, but this may be from it not always being kept vertical when the Filofax holding it falls over in my bag. all it takes is some tissue to wipe it up and then we're back in business.

the only downside is that I do still find it fatiguing to write long case notes etc. because there's no soft grip on the pen (like my Lamy Nexx, for example). I know that putting on a cheapo grip will not only ruin the pen's gorgeousness, but might cause damage to the finish.

Any suggestions from more experienced pen users about this? Can you buy an FP-friendly removable grip that won't damage the pen, and is easily removed? If so, where can I get it? I really want the Murex to become my everyday pen!

Alexandra M.