Parker 51 questions

dsmith123

Hello, I just joined this forum in search for some answers about this pen/pencil set I found stashed away in the attic. I have done a bit of researching, but can't find a definite answer about what style 51 these are, the age of them (the date code is very small and I'm not sure what it says), and their value.

Both of them have matching date codes, I'm sure of that, so I know they're a set.

Here are some pics. I just want to know everything I can about these pens.

post-47-1164595186_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dsmith123

• pigpogm

• london

• Ursus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:drool:

<wipes drool>

Sorry.

Er.

Yes. Value. I'd say probably about $20.

I'll send it to you by PayPal right now.

(Everyone else: keep quiet until they're in the post ;) )

:blink:

Michael Randall :: PigPog - Cult Pens (UK)

See this page:

http://www.parker51.com/PenCaps.4.html

Are they a 14K fishscale finish?

They look beautiful and you are very lucky to have them. Whose attic did you find them in? Are they a family members?

Ron

Edited by RonB

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

My husband's name is D Smith as well.........they'd fit nicely into my Christmas stocking!

Carol

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

A Parker 51 Presidential set - solid gold, either 9K or 18K...

Very nice - value??? I'm no expert but I'd be asking for at least £500....

Edited by jaytaylor

What does the hallmark say on that set, that will tell all, each piece should be marked if it is solid gold, but may be gold filled.

Very, very nice and highly desireable. If somebody really wants it and it is truely a solid gold set, the price could go through the roof, £500 for starters IMHO.

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Wow! Wasn't expecting that.

Well the finish on the cap and body is a fishscale finish, very small "scales".

I don't know if it's solid gold or gold filled. Because of the finish, the only marking on the pen (aside from the parker "51" and instructions on the inside) is a tiny 4 digit marking followed by a tiny "L" shaped indent about a 1/4" farther around at the very bottom of the cap running horizontal (around the pen).

heres a pic of the cap, you can just barely see the marking at the bottom of the cap.

Does this help?

post-47-1164655332_thumb.jpg

Another question. If it was gold filled, what color would the inside of the cap/ body be?

Would it be steel (silver)?

Because the insides of all the pieces are a gold color, they're just not shiny like the outside, sort of like the color of an old brass candlestick (dark, dull gold).

post-47-1164655722_thumb.jpg

Edited by dsmith123

Well, to my utter amazement, I just realized what the marking says. It says 18ct, 18 caret!!!!.

Now how much do you think these are worth???? :D :D

Edited by dsmith123

My my. What a lovely set. I can't venture a guess as to the value (I'll leave that to the real experts) but the condition is remarkable. What a find!

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Now how much do you think these are worth????

Well, I think in the light of the new information, I'd have to up my offer to $30, but only if you get them in the post quickly - before anyone else posts an opinion.

:blink:

Michael Randall :: PigPog - Cult Pens (UK)

OK, I dug out my Parker 51 book..

It appears that what you have is an English made Parker 51 Presidential...

This pen was only two versions... the 18K barleycorn that you have and a 9K wavy design.

The barrels are hallmarked. The 18K sold for 40GBP in 1961

The American Presidential was 14K and had a smooth finish...

I'm not exactly sure what a hallmark is, but the only engraving on the entire pen is the 18ct on the cap, and the standard mk II engraving. There is a area on the barrel that is smoothed out, as if something should be written there, but it is blank, on both the pen and pencil. Here is a picture of the blank spot

post-47-1164662742_thumb.jpg

Well, to my utter amazement, I just realized what the marking says. It says 18ct, 18 caret!!!!.

Now how much do you think these are worth???? :D :D

for a minty 18k presidential set £700 and up.....at a guess.

Hallmarks (in this case) are tiny symbols stamped into the surface of the metal that denote the maker, the material (and the purity of the material), and the year of manufacture. There are whole arcane systems of European precious-metal hallmarks. You should be able to see them with a magnifying glass if they're present, probably near the 18ct marking.

The blank spot is where the initials or name of the owner could be engraved by a jeweller. Unengraved is generally worth more (unless the name is demonstrably that of a celebrity of some kind).

That set is in really amazing condition. Congratulations on a great find!

Edited by Kalessin

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

There should be three hallmarks.

One on each component part.Barrell,cap and clip.

On mine,on the barrell, it's on the opposite side to the blank cartouche.

On the cap its on the bottom ring and on the clip it's on the top ring.

Should be visible without a loupe if not readable.

Well then, here is the hallmark. You can see the 18ct to the left of it.

Thank you guys for all the help by the way. I have listed the pens on ebay as I have no use for them. Searh for "parker 51 presidential".

EDIT: I can't find any symbols stamped into the barrel or clip of either, and I looked quite hard too...

post-47-1164666484_thumb.jpg

Edited by dsmith123