Welcome to the WAHL-EVERSHARP Forum

Wahlnut

Welcome to all Wahl-Eversharp fans and those looking to learn more about this wonderful "Big Four" Fountain Pen and Pencil manufacturer and its mostly great products. Whether you are a casual visitor, just learning about Wahl-Eversharps, or a serious collector with deep academic interests, I hope you will find this Forum to your liking. And always feel free to contact me with any constructive suggestions for improvements.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/decoband3array.jpg

A word of introduction about your moderator. I am flattered to have been encouraged by and to be acceptable to the Administrators and named the Moderator of this forum. I am Syd "The Wahlnut" Saperstein and live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have been using fountain pens for over 40 years, collecting them seriously for over 14 years, focusing almost entirely on the Wahl- Eversharp brand for the past 9 years, and restoring them for the past 8 years. Although I have a pretty extensive library of Wahl-Eversharp material that I am willing to share I hope those of you with iinfomation of your own will do likewise. I joined FPN in October 2004 and have been a regular visitor and sometimes poster since then. I am a member of the PCA, and the Pan Pacific Pen Club. I am a Commercial Banker by profession and do my "Pen Thing" in my off-time.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/GoldSealsandDecoBands82804.jpg

This is not MY forum, it is YOURS...I just work here. While I am willing and able to supply a pretty steady amount of interesting matrerial to the Forum, and keep it lively, it is my hope that you will post early and often on interesting topics with your information and questions.

Syd "The Wahlnut"

Edited by Wahlnut

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahlnut

• Switala

• GHigley

• Billy295

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the compliment...

I do write with the "less than perfect" ones. I hold one segment of my collection aside as the "Best" representative of each model that I own. The tray in the photo has 4 of my current best in it. If I get a better one, the old "best" one comes out and the new "best" pen goes in. The old "Best" one gets put in the regular inventory trays. So every now and then, I do select one of the "users" out of the mix and write with it for a week or so. If I told you how many Wahl Eversharp Pens I have you would think I was bragging, so I wont. :)

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Hello there, Syd.

Those are some truly beautiful pens indeed. Congrats!

One of my favourite questions - do you have a favourite/holy grail/desert island pen? (If you had to, are you able to choose one? Or are there different ones for different moods/purposes?)

If you ever declared how many W-E pens you have, I, for one, wouldn't think you're bragging at all. B)

raf.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

I really do not have any one overall "Favorite" among all the pens because as you say I use different ones in different situations. I suppose if I had to choose just one Wahl-Eversharp pen to last me a lifetime I would probably say the Coronet. It is very durable being metal in construction, uses a lever fill ink sac filling system, amnd even if the ink sac died and I had no replacement, I could still use it as an eyedropper, the section unscrews and would be easier to take apart without Bionic Pliers... the Eversharp nibs are famous for their enjoyable writing. If I could choose 2, I would also take along one of the Wahl-Eversharps Personal Point pens (maybe an Equi-poised) with 3 different interchangable nibs a stub, a signature and a flexible. That would cover it

But the main reason I switch around, besides color, mood, or style, is that if I am writing letters I want a pen with a stub nib (it makes even my handwriting look good), If I am filling out checks with NCR duplicates I would use a pen with a manifold nib (they were made to make copies through 4 layers of paper and carbon paper...you get the idea.

Anyway, thanks for posting. This should be fun

Syd

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

Syd, congrats for getting this forum started. Wahl is such a great brand with presence that spans almost a century,

with beautiful pens and great history. Locing forward to some great content.

Coincidentally I was looking at Wahl's biography yesterday night. He was married an Estabrook :) (not an Esterbrook :))

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/Wahl_from_Chicago_press_club_book_1.jpg

Edited by antoniosz

A word of introduction about your moderator.  I am flattered to have been encouraged by and to be acceptable to the Administrators and named the Moderator of this forum.

Well, with the nickname "Wahlnut", who better to ask to be Moderator?

:lol: :lol:

But seriously.....

Thank you so much for volunteering for the position, Syd. You've always been very helpful with your responses to prior questions re: Wahl-Eversharp writing instruments and I've enjoyed your posts and pictures both here and on Pentrace. I had the pleasure of seeing some of your "treasures" (and they *are* treasures :) ) at the inaugural 2004 Portland Pen Show.

Best wishes,

~Maja

Congratulations on your new title, Syd, and thank you for taking on the responsibility of moderating this forum. We are very lucky to have you.

One of your remarks caught my eye. "I would also take along one of the Wahl-Eversharps Personal Point pens (maybe an Equi-poised) with 3 different interchangable nibs a stub, a signature and a flexible." Does it do dishes, too? ;)

Okay, kidding aside, would you be willing to post a photo of this versatile pen? Also, how is the nib swapped? I'm enjoying the Skyline model especially for its smooth nib. Do the Personal Point pens have the same nib as the Skyline?

Not that I need more pens but you've certainly peaked my interest. :)

Margana

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Congrats on the Wahl-Eversharp forum Syd! :D

I'm a big fan of these pens, and just don't have enough. :)

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p269/bartlin/elmo2.jpg

Hi I am new on the network, greetings to everyone from Belgium. I do not have a Wahl but I find their design fantastic. Somebody pointed out that the pen (I have) in the pictures above has a lookalike design. It was made by a minor Italian company ELMA from Milan. (It measures about 5 3/8 inch capped). Does anyone have a clue when this (copy?) pen has been made. Any additional information is welcome.

Bart

Just saying hello--

I don't visit FPN often; I'm more off a regular elsewhere.

My first vintage pens purchases were Bantams, which I didn't use, but I think small, functional pens are pretty neat, so I kept gathering them up when I could. When I got more serious about vintage pens, I turned to Watermans, primarily ripples. Then I happened upon a Wahl flattop in a color I liked, and the nib (signature) was amazing. Though I love my Watermans, the thing others love in the Watermans (super flexibility in the nib) is a little too much for me. I look mostly for nibs that offer some flex, but also what I like to call "backbone." The Wahl pen made even my chicken scratch look good.

I won't give up my Watermans, but I'm becoming increasingly keen on Wahl pens, and have quite a few Bantams, Flattops, and a couple of Equipoised pens. I'm looking forward to learning a lot in this forum!

Exuberance is beauty.

(Wm. Blake)

The Wahl Eversharp Forum has beeen up and running for 2 weeks and have received 43 new posts on almost as many topics, and 143 replies! For a pen brand that has been effectively out of business for more than 50 years, that is a pretty good showing and we have not even scratched the surface. Lets keep the interests and questions coming. The more esoteric the better. That is how we expand the borders of our knowledge about this great brand.

For those who read this and a may be "devoted" to other brands at the moment, why not drop by the Wahl Eversharp Forum and see what it is all about. You may discover just how the Wahl Company sprang from practically no-where to become one of the 4 largest pen manufacturers in the USA with world-wide distribution. Could it have been the designs? The nibs? the reliability, durability and in many cases timeless beauty? In a word YES.

Who knows. Your pen cases may be able to expand their contents to include a representative from the Wahl-Eversharp stable of pens.

Thanks from your moderator for the support and for the very high degree of civility that all the Wahlnuts have shown in their discussions thus far.

Syd the Wahlnut

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

• 1 month later...

Hi, Syd,

I am enjoying your WAHL forum very much, having learned loads about my mother-in-law's old pen from it. The one topic that seems be lacking is one discussing the particular repair needs this pen has. The nib looks great, but the sac is wasted away. I would happily attempt to replace the sac myself, following Richard's excellent instructions, but the old sac seems to have stuck to the inside of the barrel, and, besides, I don't know how to reposition the pressure bar. which is a straight strip of metal having both long edges folded inward-- so one side is smooth and the other channel-like, and, furthermore, I don't know which end goes in first, as one end is shaped differently from the other!

Syd, what should I do??

Edited by spencerfan

• 11 months later...

hello and happy new year. i posted this question and i am new to the community but i figured you may know.by the way im pete.{if anybody else knows please feel free to contact} anyway im looking for the name of a very small eversharp..i thought it was called a niche or something im not sure.but it loked to be maybe 2.5inches and kinda stubby.any idea? thank you for your time.-pete

Hi Pete, and Welcome.

Are you saying you posted your question somewhere on FPN other than the Wahl-Eversharp forum? If so where? I would like to see your full question that you might have posted there with more information to go on? That would be great. Or maybe a picture...that would be ideal. There were a number of pens in that size range, so can if you give us a little more information to go on we m,ight pin it down for you.

I would appreciate it if you could post your reply to the regular section of the Wahl-Eversharp forum as a new topic so more folks will see it and we can continue the discussion there.

Thanks

Syd

hello and happy new year. i posted this question and i am new to the community but i figured you may know.by the way im pete.{if anybody else knows please feel free to contact} anyway im looking for the name of a very small eversharp..i thought it was called a niche or something im not sure.but it loked to be maybe 2.5inches and kinda stubby.any idea? thank you for your time.-pete

Pensbury Manor

Pensbury Manor

www.wahleversharp.com

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome to all Wahl-Eversharp fans and those looking to learn more about this wonderful "Big Four" Fountain Pen and Pencil manufacturer and its mostly great products. Whether you are a casual visitor, just learning about Wahl-Eversharps, or a serious collector with deep academic interests, I hope you will find this Forum to your liking. And always feel free to contact me with any constructive suggestions for improvements.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/decoband3array.jpg

A word of introduction about your moderator. I am flattered to have been encouraged by and to be acceptable to the Administrators and named the Moderator of this forum. I am Syd "The Wahlnut" Saperstein and live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have been using fountain pens for over 40 years, collecting them seriously for over 14 years, focusing almost entirely on the Wahl- Eversharp brand for the past 9 years, and restoring them for the past 8 years. Although I have a pretty extensive library of Wahl-Eversharp material that I am willing to share I hope those of you with iinfomation of your own will do likewise. I joined FPN in October 2004 and have been a regular visitor and sometimes poster since then. I am a member of the PCA, and the Pan Pacific Pen Club. I am a Commercial Banker by profession and do my "Pen Thing" in my off-time.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a75/wahlnut/GoldSealsandDecoBands82804.jpg

This is not MY forum, it is YOURS...I just work here. While I am willing and able to supply a pretty steady amount of interesting matrerial to the Forum, and keep it lively, it is my hope that you will post early and often on interesting topics with your information and questions.

Syd "The Wahlnut"

Hi, I am a new member and found this site through Google. I have a WAHL fountain pen that was my uncle's. It is a beautiful 14K gold pen with a beautiful gold flower embossed look. It is inscribed around the top with" Church of Holy Souls" on the first line and "Carnegie PA XMAS 1922" on the second line. On the neb is say WAHL 14K and the number 2. It is just a little over 4 1/4" long. I can send a digital picture of it if you would like. I was just curious if it is truly from 1922 and what it might be worth today?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to write back.....it is a cool site!!!! kalinra

Edited by kalinra1

• 7 months later...

Syd:

You never cease to amaze us. Such a neat collection, such a knowledge of Wahl's pens, yet such a humility. Syd, you deserve a song:

Syd, Syd, what you ever did,

To this topic on pens with lid,

Syd, Syd, you are great,

Walh's pens, you never hate!

Syd, Syd, you are a joy,

Walh's pens are just your toy!

Syd, Syd sitting in our mid,

Walh's pens are for you to bid!

Syd, Syd, what you ever did

To this topic on pens with lid!.

Oh! my dear, dear Free-will!

Tell me really, "Will I ever be free?"

Allow me until my body becomes still,

To sacrifice as a still standing tree!

- Just another tumble weed!

• 2 years later...

Dear FPNers,

Recently I bought a flat-topped Eversharp set, not a Doric, and it looks like the last pen on the right of the trapy that Syd put on the forum. Except, it is a ribbon pen, as is the pencil. I am wondering if someone can give me some information about it, including the date--or refer me to somematerial. (I can't upload a photo, as I am away from home, and have no way to get a photo off my cellphone.) Thanks, Noyesville@peoplepc.com

• 2 years later...

I just joined yesterday and I am looking forward this forum, especially concerning Eversharp. As I mentioned in my original post under "Welcome All Members" my Father worked for Eversharp from about 1934 until 1955 and became a Vice President of advertising in 1946. I still have the original letter addressed to him appointing him Vice President and it's on a letterhead from the "Magazine Repeating Razor Company." This was at a time when the company's factory had moved from Rosco Street in Chicago to Connecticut Avenue in Bridgeport, Connecticut. I do have a small collection of Eversharps, but mostly pencils and only one Skyliner pen which is in good working condition. I hope it's OK to be interested in pencils. I do have an early Parker 75 that I got in the late '60s and I still use it today. It works extremely well.

If I'm lucky my wife and I plan on going to the Dallas Pen Show this month and I believe there will be someone there who specializes in Eversharp. I have a Skyliner pencil I need a spare part for and I want to see what other pens are available. Nothing beats actually seeing them in person.