Bexley Corona - B - Summer Storm

watch_art

um. yes? why would it be better to have a stiff and difficult piston?

I guess my concern would be that if it turns too easily it might turn by accident and then leak ink? not realistic huh? haha good to know.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• tonybelding

• Weiss.ar

• raging.dragon

I guess my concern would be that if it turns too easily it might turn by accident and then leak ink? not realistic huh? haha good to know.

Oh I got ya. Like on the first run of TWSBIs that came out, people posted them to see how they posted, and when taking the cap off accidentally turn the piston knob and squirt out some ink. Yeah - if it's too loose then that's not good either. This thing doesn't post worth a toot in my opinion so that wasn't really an issue to me. But also, there aren't any threads in there. It just twists. The whole piston mech is just push fit into the barrel.

Oh I got ya. Like on the first run of TWSBIs that came out, people posted them to see how they posted, and when taking the cap off accidentally turn the piston knob and squirt out some ink. Yeah - if it's too loose then that's not good either. This thing doesn't post worth a toot in my opinion so that wasn't really an issue to me. But also, there aren't any threads in there. It just twists. The whole piston mech is just push fit into the barrel.

I saw that in your review about the threads in the piston! I agree with you about the pen not great for posting. but it's a lovely pen. My piston turns very easily but i guess like you said if you're not posting it will reduce the risk of inadvertent twisting of the piston. If it was just a touch more resistant i'd feel better but i still love this pen! the steel nib is absurdly smooth

Thanks for the great review and the wonderful photos ... much appreciate :thumbup: Having read the review at least twice and all of the replies and re-replies to the thread I feel much more enlightened on a number of topics. Thanks watch_art .... really well done!

• 1 month later...

This pen just arrived in my mail bin yesterday. The pen is much prettier than I expected - few photos online have done it justice. I was mesmerized by the swirly acrylic, but then I have always been partial to blue.

I got the pen from Richard so it came binderized. Naturally that includes filling the pen so I hoped that the piston wouldn't be an issue. Indeed, it was smooth sailing from the start. It had a full drink of Sailor Jentle Ultramarine, and is now ready to do its duty.

The steel nib lays down a smooth, buttery medium line.

Overall, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

• 2 months later...

If it is indeed like this, then you must not extract the filler frequently by the "unscrewing the knob" method. because, it is through the small pin that the force is getting transmitted, to push the whole filler out.

I am guessing that the piston rod is actually a standard screw with four sides milled out. can you also tell how the seal has been attached to the rod? is it snap fit?

I don't plan on taking it out ever again. I just had to see what it looked like in there. But I bet you're right about that little pin.

And I'd say yes about the seal. I thought it looked just like the seal on one of my cheap syringes. Same size and everything. Maybe they sourced some bits from medical companies?

So the piston isn't smoother than the Pelikans? Yup, I think i'll pass on this one. Does it really have anything to offer that the TWSBI doesn't?

Not on this one. It looks better than the TWSBI in my opinion, and writes better (at least until the new Bock nibbed TWSBIs came out). Uhm... other than that I dunno. It posts just like the TWSBI which is awful. Way up high on the filler knob. Silliness.

Thanks for the very insightful review. I have looked at the Corona collection for the past few days. I think I'll put my money down on the TWSBI instead.

Thanks for the very insightful review. I have looked at the Corona collection for the past few days. I think I'll put my money down on the TWSBI instead.

The TWSBI is great, you can't go wrong with it.

However... I'm still in love with my orange Corona. It's my favorite of all my modern pens -- especially since I got a 0.9mm stub on it.