The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Bexley Corona - B - Summer Storm

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2011 - 22:28

And I'd say yes about the seal. I thought it looked just like the seal on one of my cheap syringes. Same size and everything. Maybe they sourced some bits from medical companies?

I think I remember reading that was exactly what they did for the Gate City Belmont. And since that apparently worked well, I'm not surprised that they went the same route with the Corona.

Sponsored Content

#22 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2011 - 22:51

And I'd say yes about the seal. I thought it looked just like the seal on one of my cheap syringes. Same size and everything. Maybe they sourced some bits from medical companies?

I think I remember reading that was exactly what they did for the Gate City Belmont. And since that apparently worked well, I'm not surprised that they went the same route with the Corona.

Well it's a great idea. Glad somebody is using something that's not special made or special ordered. I'm curious if these piston units will be available to the market soon to buy individually or in lots for custom turners. How cool would it be for JEB or Edison pens to easily adapt a piston to their pens? That would be stinkin awesome! Appleman has already put a piston in one of his pens. I wonder if it's like this one.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#23 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2011 - 23:19

BUT - for $130.00ish - No way! I suppose the "all american made" makes it worth a bit more... I dunno. :|

This kind of comment drives me nuts. :doh:

Don't think of the Corona as a TWSBI that some crazy company is trying to charge $130 for. Think of it as a Pelikan M800 that some crazy company is giving away for only $130.

Actually if you get a Corona with a gold nib (like the M800) then it's more like $295. But that's still close to $100 less than a M800 -- and whose fault is it that Pelikan don't sell M800s with steel nibs, anyhow?

As for the TWSBI. . . It's a crazy bargain at $50. If that's your standard for value, then pretty much every other fountain pen on the market is a rip-off, and the Corona shouldn't even be close to the first one you gripe about. I like my two TWSBIs and will probably get another one or two in the future, but I'm not going to sell off the rest of my collection and resort to never having anything but TWSBIs. :P

Plus, the TWSBI has a #5 (small) nib, is made of injection-molded plastic, and has had some problems with leaky pistons, cracked sections and tight caps. (Although, those problems are supposed to be fixed with the 540 model.) Plus, not everyone is crazy about demonstrators.

Well put Tony. Forgive my stupid comment. Posted Image

You're quite right - looking at it as a Pelikan M800 style pen is a much better mindset. I suppose I'm just spoiled by the TWSBI. :D

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#24 pkoko

pkoko

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:32

So does the cap post like any Pelikan or is it like the twsbi? Also is the piston knob secure when locked and not prone to acciendental turning? Lastly, how many turns to unscrew the cap?
I think of my FPs as my children.

#25 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:44

Posts like a TWSBI - so I don't post it.

The cap is pretty secure when tightened down - not tight since there are no threads anywhere, but good enough for me.

2 turns to get to the nib.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#26 pkoko

pkoko

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:17

Thanks for the info... Watchart... Now the big question is which finish and nib size???
I think of my FPs as my children.

#27 camoandconcrete

camoandconcrete

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:33

That is definitely something I am too afraid to do to any of my pens.

Actually, now that I think about it I did disassemble my L2K once.
What I'm looking for: Montblanc 132, 235, 422 and 432. Any help would be most appreciated.

#28 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:44

I'm not afraid of anything. Except getting in a fight. That scares me. I'd lose for sure. At least I have insurance.

But taking a pen apart --- nah. I'm pretty comfortable with most pens. And if they're super fragile or prone to breaking even if you know what you're doing - I'll just leave those to the pros. ;)

#29 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2011 - 16:28

Well it's a great idea. Glad somebody is using something that's not special made or special ordered. I'm curious if these piston units will be available to the market soon to buy individually or in lots for custom turners. How cool would it be for JEB or Edison pens to easily adapt a piston to their pens? That would be stinkin awesome! Appleman has already put a piston in one of his pens. I wonder if it's like this one.

The bulb filler seems to have become an Edison signtaure. But for everyone else, it would be nice to have a non cartridge/converter option.

#30 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2011 - 16:58

very nice review and thanks for sharing :thumbup:
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#31 camoandconcrete

camoandconcrete

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2011 - 17:00

I'm not afraid of anything. Except getting in a fight. That scares me. I'd lose for sure. At least I have insurance.

But taking a pen apart --- nah. I'm pretty comfortable with most pens. And if they're super fragile or prone to breaking even if you know what you're doing - I'll just leave those to the pros. ;)

Well pen disassemble and design critiques are two things that scare me, even though the latter is something that will never go away for me.
What I'm looking for: Montblanc 132, 235, 422 and 432. Any help would be most appreciated.

#32 mmack66

mmack66

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 21:54

And the back of the barrel is threaded. Were they anticipating a threaded piston unit? Hmm... the world may never know.

This pen apparently is/will be available as a C/C pen, Main Street Pens has a C/C prototype and the description of the pen at ISellPens indicates that C/C is an option, so maybe they use a threaded end cap in that instance.

#33 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 August 2011 - 22:39

If a C/C is in the works it better be considerably cheaper. If it's not then we'll know that the pistons don't cost em anything.

#34 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:00

A most useful review.

So, I got a big red one, with a XXF nib. It is smooth with Evenflo and Pelikan Royal Blue and Private
Reserve DC Supershow Blue. No complaints about my piston.

The size and shape is so close to my Parker Duofold Senior that tears came to my eyes. This is beautiful !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#35 Vincent1278

Vincent1278

vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 15:21

Amazing that we can get a piston filler with an ink window for under $200 with a steel nib but bulb filler pens are being sold for $180 (Gate City) to $250 (Edison) with steel nibs. A bulb filler shouldn't cost more, it's like an eyedropper with half an ink sac at the end. Don't tell me machining threads for the blind cap justifies the price difference.
Regards,

Vince

amateur vintage pen fixer and nib tuner

#36 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2011 - 15:57

Amazing that we can get a piston filler with an ink window for under $200 with a steel nib but bulb filler pens are being sold for $180 (Gate City) to $250 (Edison) with steel nibs. A bulb filler shouldn't cost more, it's like an eyedropper with half an ink sac at the end. Don't tell me machining threads for the blind cap justifies the price difference.

The bulb filling Edisons are fully handmade (except for the nib and feed unit) custom (or at least semi-custom pens). The buyer can choose any material available and can have a pen's shape modified to suit personal preferences. In contrast the Gate City and Bexley pens are regular production pens with standardized materials and parts. To me, this is more than enough to explain a $50 price difference.

#37 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 September 2011 - 17:23

Raging Dragon, you took the words out of my mouth.
Watch Art, nice review. It was interesting to see how they did it.

I for one hopwe to see fewer C/C pens in the future.

#38 leod

leod

Inksane

• Member - Gold

• 1,045 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2011 - 15:03

nice review, are we expecting to see a threaded piston for future Bexleys?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

#39 Vincent1278

Vincent1278

vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 17:02

The bulb filling Edisons are fully handmade (except for the nib and feed unit) custom (or at least semi-custom pens). The buyer can choose any material available and can have a pen's shape modified to suit personal preferences. In contrast the Gate City and Bexley pens are regular production pens with standardized materials and parts. To me, this is more than enough to explain a $50 price difference.

Anyway...I like this Corona. I'd love to see more pens that are not c/c as well.

I'm not sure about your point about being full hand made. I've seen video of Edison pens being made. I've also owned an Edison Pearl. The nib units are the same set up as Bexley and kit pens. Choosing pen color may be "custom" but what's one rod of acrylic from another rod of ebonite? The programmed lathe still follows the same patterns. Are you saying that custom color costs more than piston filling mechanism? The Edison doesn't even have any trim! People can charge whatever they like - if someone is willing to pay then that's fine. I'm just saying the pricing seems off to me. But that's just me, I guess. I'd rather have a pen from a company that makes its nibs instead of laser engraving their logo on a Bock nib. To each his own.

Edited by Vincent1278, 23 September 2011 - 17:04.

Regards,

Vince

amateur vintage pen fixer and nib tuner

#40 fabrimedeiros

fabrimedeiros

BROAD ITALIC/STUB ADDICTED

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 20:06

+1. It's very very hard to design a reliable piston fill like M800 and M1000 have. A bulb filler or an eyedropper are absolutely easy to make. So I can't understand that costs. $250 for an eyedropper with a steel nib?!?! I'm fan of complex and reliable mechanical fillers like piston fillers and vacuum fillers. They're a nice engineering design.

Sponsored Content

|