New Premium R By Rhodia Soft-Touch Tablet

GreenVelvet

I am ever-frustrated by my inability to link my Flickr photos on FPN, so I apologize that I don't have photos for you.

I just did a very extensive review of the new R by Rhodia paper on my blog, with tons of photos. If you want the full story, please check that out.

The gist: The paper rocks. There is no bleed-through or show-through. It is lovely, lovely, lovely to write on.

If you wanted pretty much the paper that comes in Rhodia webnotebooks but in micro-perf tablet form, this is it.

If you wanted "off-white Clairefontaine," this is it.

If you want a great, high-quality writing paper for a great value, this is it.

Highly, highly recommended!

EDIT: HDoug kindly showed me how to get Flickr photos to show up, so I've updated with more review text and a few photos below. Thanks, HDoug! :happyberet:

Edited by GreenVelvet

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreenVelvet

• Uncle Red

• penemuel

• dms525

I am ever-frustrated by my inability to link my Flickr photos on FPN, so I apologize that I don't have photos for you.

I just did a very extensive review of the new R by Rhodia paper on my blog, with tons of photos. If you want the full story, please check that out.

The gist: The paper rocks. There is no bleed-through or show-through. It is lovely, lovely, lovely to write on.

If you wanted pretty much the paper that comes in Rhodia webnotebooks but in micro-perf tablet form, this is it.

If you wanted "off-white Clairefontaine," this is it.

If you want a great, high-quality writing paper for a great value, this is it.

Highly, highly recommended!

Nice, thorough review; I zipped right over to GPC and put a pad in my cart. Now I'm trying not to find other things to complete an order... :embarrassed_smile: . BTW, your writing desk looks so very organized (yesterday's post)!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066/6079749365_3b026b2f10_z_d.jpg

My eternal gratitude to HDoug, who has shown me a workaround for posting Flickr photos.

So I'll throw a few photos in, with some of the review text... full text, with all photos and links, is still in the full review on my blog.

Behold the awesome new paper. It is a gentle ivory/cream color. It does not detract from any ink color, but it's not SCREAMING BRIGHT WHITE like Clairefontaine Triomphe and most of the Clairefontaine notebooks, including my current ink journal. Nor is it screaming bright white like the other, original Rhodia pads.

Also unlike the other Rhodia pads, there is no margin, and the lines (this is also available in blank, but I started out with the lined version) are sort of a soft grey, not blue. Subtle. Nice touch. I like the ruling. It's a good width for me. (I just checked, for those of you that want precision: it's 7mm.)

But it's really about the paper, and how well it takes ink. This new pad is an "upgrade" to 90g paper from the previous 80g. It does feel slightly thicker to the touch. In his video, Brian said it was nearly as smooth as Clairefontaine Triomphe, and I would mostly agree with that, but it doesn't have the Triomphe's "glassy" quality... which, in most cases, is a plus. I wouldn't say there is drag on the paper, and there is definitely not "tooth"... it's just a lovely smooth surface.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6090/6079748691_e3e2b8126f_z_d.jpg

Again, though, it's all about the ink. And this is where this paper really excels. For those who like their colors harmonious, I apologize, as I just grabbed pens with excitement in no particular order, other than thinking, "this is a juicy wet pen!" or something like that... really putting the paper to the test, as it were.

As you can see, no feathering. Slight smudging, due to wet inks and my smudgy over-writing hands (+ general impatience). Ink dries significantly faster on this paper than on Clairefontaine Triomphe: a significant plus! All of the inks played nicely, even one of my newest, least favorite inks: Noodler's Old Dutch Sepia; this is the only paper I've tried it on yet where it doesn't feather! (It's humid here in August. That happens. I hope it will be have better in the winter, when everything, including my pens and papers, is less damp.)

Inks and pens shown:

Noodler's Heart of Darkness / Pilot Varsity M

Diamine Registrar's Ink / Pilot Varsity M

Noodler's Eternal Hunter Green / Pilot V-Pen F

Montblanc Ink of Love / Pilot V-Pen M

Noodler's Old Dutch Sepia / Daiso Mini

Diamine Steel Blue / Waterman Taperite

Montblanc Ink of Joy / Parker Flighter 180

Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku / Sheaffer school pen F

J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite / Noodler's flex pen

Diamine Violet / Dollar Demonstrator

Diamine Dark Green / Noodler's Nib Creaper (firm/non-flex)

Diamine Delamere Green / Waterman Graduate M

Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng / Platinum Preppy F

Diamine Oxblood / Parker Vector M

Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses / Esterbrook 9788

Noodler's Blue Ghost / Platinum Preppy M

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6080/6079748941_7c1357b9ca_z_d.jpg

This photo above is the most exciting photo to me of the whole bunch, and you read many reviews of this sort, you've already guessed why. This is the back of my ink tests page. Not only is there no bleed-through, there's not even any SHOW-through! You can only tell there is even writing on the other side if you look really closely. WOW! And I even flexed my flex nibs with Noodler's BSIAR and Herbin's 1670 Rouge Hematite inks... wet inks in very wet pens! LOVE it. This, as much as anything else, is why this is my new favorite paper. I will use it for second/additional sheets in letters, and I can write on both sides with ease. It's also a great size for the sort of stationery I prefer to use.

Important note: I am not affiliated with Goulet Pens, I am just a happy repeat customer. Here's the buying info: R by Rhodia No.16 tablet, 70 sheets for $7. This stuff is new and freshly out, but other retailers may be carrying it now as well.

Nice, thorough review; I zipped right over to GPC and put a pad in my cart. Now I'm trying not to find other things to complete an order... :embarrassed_smile: . BTW, your writing desk looks so very organized (yesterday's post)!

Thanks! I never have a hard time putting together a great order from Goulet Pens, especially with all the new stuff they keep carrying!

Thanks for the compliment on my writing desk. I had just tidied it up a bit, but I do keep it fairly organized. I have more fun writing if everything is exactly where it should be, and I can see and access it all.

And, um... that's just the writing desk. There is a whole separate bookshelf elsehwere of other stationery and postcard storage... I've been meaning to take a photo of that, but it definitely needs a bit of re-organizing before I do so!

I would be all over those, except... I want dot grids or graph! :( I really hope they add them soon.

http://penemuel.popullus.net/art/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg <--Member since June 2011

Two questions Greenvelvet

1) What size is the paper after you remove it from the tablet since the tablet is A4 size?

2) How do you refill a Pilot varsity?!

BTW, great review, puts this pad in perspective better than anything I'd seen yet.

Two questions Greenvelvet

1) What size is the paper after you remove it from the tablet since the tablet is A4 size?

2) How do you refill a Pilot varsity?!

BTW, great review, puts this pad in perspective better than anything I'd seen yet.

1) A very tiny bit over 5.75 x 7.5 inches

2) How to refill a Pilot Varsity

I do this a lot. It's very gratifying. I don't know how many times you can refill them, because I'm still on the original Varsity that is posted about in that blog, and it's had numerous dates with the pliers to be refilled... at least 5 now. I give them away a lot, to entice people into fountain pens, refilled with fun colors.

Thanks, glad you found the review useful!

The description of this Rhodia product on the Goulet web site indicates it uses Clairefontaine paper.

Interesting.

David

The description of this Rhodia product on the Goulet web site indicates it uses Clairefontaine paper.

Interesting.

David

Rhodia and Clairefontaine are owned by the same parent company.

Biffybeans did a mini-review on her own blog, where she has a theory about the two papers and their production vis-a-vis this product.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review....I am going to get some now.

Your blog is addictive too, btw.

trpofapprobal.png

Oh thanks, you just spent more of my money! I can't wait to order this (and probably a bunch of ink)! from Goulet Pens..

Thank you so much for the great review.

I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more paper until I put a dent in the supply I already have but after reading your review I might have to rethink that :). One can never have enough paper, right ? A nice off-white paper is just too hard to resist.

I bought some about the same time you did, I think, and I just love it! As you mentioned it has *all* the qualities I've been looking for (see original post). Thanks Rhodia! Thanks for the review, Ilona. (I got the #18 Bloc - 8 1/2 x 11 inches)

I was just fooling around with some of this the other day. I really quite like it! I have always been a sucker for ivory paper especially for notes to friends etc.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I have a trip to my local pen store to make this weekend. lol

Marcos

Be nice, cause wherever you go...there you are!

• 4 years later...

I recently purchased(July 2016) an "R" notepad and am not a fan. Compared to the regular Rhodia and Ice versions, this "R" bleeds through, and feathers with a lot of inks.

Most noteably Noodler's Bay State Blur and Golden Brown. I'll not be buying them again.

If I stick with Rhodia or Clairefontaine paper in the future, it will be the more standard brands.