The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bexley Corona Piston Filler, Broad Nib, Summer Storm Review

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 22:09

Bexley Corona Piston Filler, Broad Nib, Summer Storm Review:
Well, when I heard that Bexley was going to make the first American-made piston filler since the 1930s, I was excited. I got right on board to reserve mine. The best part about this pen is it is practically bench made. You get to pick Resin Color, Trim Color, Nib Size, Nib Material and Filler type.

I ended up finding mine for the bargain price of $135 on www.isellpens.com (no affiliation, just a very happy customer). Todd, the owner, is very good to deal with. I had a few questions about the pen, and he answered them very quickly. You can tell that guy really loves pens! :)

Appearance & Design (9/10) – Out of all of the colors available, the summer storm was most striking to me. When I received it, I was amazed at the pearl glitter in the resin. The photos do not really do it justice. The box that it comes in is the usual blue with satin Bexley box. The black section and butt of the cap match really well with the dark blue of the barrel. The best part of the appearance is the very thin ink window for the piston filler. It isn't huge. It is very subtle and just big enough to do its job without interrupting the beauty of the pen.

Construction & Quality (8/10) – Like all other Bexley pens, this one is magnificent. I haven't had any trouble with the piston filler or the writing performance. The only thing I would have liked to see is the roller ball type clip. I tried retrofitting one from another bexley I have, but it wasn't the same size.

Weight & Dimensions (8/10) – This pen is a medium sized pen. No surprises there. BUT, what is great is the density of the pen. it has just the right weight for its size. Furthermore, the balance is magnificent!

Nib & Performance (9/10) – The steel nib writes as smooth as my pelikan steel nibs. I absolutely love it. The only thing I wish was that the 1.3mm stub nib was offered in the steel material and not just in the gold. This thing never skips or gives any problems. It puts down a nice BROAD wet line.

Filling System & Maintenance (9/10) - Piston fillers get high grades in my book. The only thing I would have improved with this design is a little bit of backlash before the piston engages (similar to how a Mont Blanc 149 works). To me, the MB has the ultimate piston filler and gets a 10 out of 10. But this thing is darn close.

Cost & Value (9/10) – for $135, this thing is a steal. It is probably my favorite bexley pen of all! It combines beautiful looks with an American made piston filler. What's more, the nib/feed are really reliable. Also, Todd's prices were great!

Conclusion (52/60 = 87%) - This is the highest mark of any pen I've reviewed yet. Don't think... just BUY! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Sponsored Content

#2 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 22:40

Thanks for this review. I like this pen, it has great looks and its piston filler makes it all the more interesting. The ink flow looks to be quite good, e.g., not a wet noodle but with enough flow to keep one's concentration on the writing and not the pen's performance.

Thanks and congratulations.

#3 nm4

nm4

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 22:51

Thanks for the nice review. I have the same pen and simply adore it - may be my favorite pen of all. The body is just amazing in terms of appearance, feel, and even function (nice smooth piston-filler). Hope the other pens don't get jealous!

Cheers,
NM
Cross ATX XF nib and Sheaffer 444X F nib for sale in the classifieds!

#4 JefferyS

JefferyS

"Don't tase me, bro!"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2011 - 23:54

Nice review of a great pen. I don't know if Bexley will ever really catch on. They deserve to, but not having European roots seems to be a turn-off to some.
Jeffery
In the Irish Channel of
New Orleans, LA

#5 isellpens

isellpens

isellpens

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 00:13

Jonathan, Great review and thanks for mentioning you bought it from us!
I personally ordered the exact same pen for my personal collection back to back with this pen. I love the pen. I think this pen is a great value and highly recommend it for anyone on the fence no matter who you purchase it from. :eureka:

#6 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,826 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 00:52

Nice review and sweet pen! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#7 tonybelding

tonybelding

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 00:59

I already posted my review of this pen (I got mine in Summer Sunset orange), and I'm happy to see that your conclusions pretty closely mirror mine. Mine very quickly became a favorite.

Looking at that pearly, swirly, blue resin actually tempts me to get another one. It would be great to have one with black ink and the other full of Texas Blue Bonnet.

#8 The Scribbler

The Scribbler

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:30

Nice review of a great pen. I don't know if Bexley will ever really catch on. They deserve to, but not having European roots seems to be a turn-off to some.

I hope they catch on and are around for a long time. I've become a huge Bexley fan over the last six months.
Posted Image

#9 jaymac

jaymac

Adopt/rescue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:33

I echo the thanks for the review. I purchased the same pen with a M steel nib reground to an x-fine. Even with the customization, it is a great price. Only small dislike is the small sliver of the ink window I see when the pen is capped. It would be nice to have it completely covered.

#10 fourseamer

fourseamer

Up and In

• Member - Gold

• 807 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:59

I echo the thanks for the review. I purchased the same pen with a M steel nib reground to an x-fine. Even with the customization, it is a great price. Only small dislike is the small sliver of the ink window I see when the pen is capped. It would be nice to have it completely covered.

Great pen and an even greater value. I too noticed the ink window was slightly visible when capped. That and awkward posting (too tightly onto the piston knob making the pen too long) are my only nits. I have the Summer Sunset and Blueberry Cream models and both fill and write beautifully.

EDIT: added photo of visible ink window
inkwindow.jpg

Edited by fourseamer, 25 August 2011 - 02:04.

#11 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,027 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:55

outstanding quality pen, I like it a lot.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#12 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,628 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:35

i thought Bexley was a neighborhood (village) in the outskirts of london... :P

i know what u mean. i just think they are fairly new to the pen world (1990's ??,), that's all. they do make great pens!!!

#13 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:43

I'm not sure why, but I'm addicted to Bexley pens. I think my favorite feature is the rolling ball clip that many of their models have. It's a great throw-back design and really adds utility! :)

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

#14 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 13:10

Nice review Jonathan.

I am curious about the piston filling mechanism on this new pen, has anyone done a strip down yet?

Best
Hari
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#15 japanwatch

japanwatch

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 13:45

I have one Bexley (CC filler). It is by far the most quality and beautiful pen I have. (BTW - hand turned on a lathe and polished also). The Nibs are Boch, and are easily changed (like Pelikan)

Everybody should try one! A piston filler is even better.

** "Juddperl" on e-bay has cheap (50-75) Bexleys. They are not blemishes, just one offs or prototypes. Pens that 5 were made of not 300, so it's not a production run piece. I received a 10th AN Lemon/Pearl/Blue stripe for 50 bucks, it's not engraved or numbered. It is beautiful.

Posted Image

Edited by japanwatch, 25 August 2011 - 13:47.

#16 JBat

JBat

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 15:28

I hope they catch on and are around for a long time. I've become a huge Bexley fan over the last six months.

Ditto.
John

Fountain pen lover

#17 JBat

JBat

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 August 2011 - 15:31

Great review. I have an America the Beautiful in Strawberry, with a Corona likely next. I really like the Bexley's.
John

Fountain pen lover

#18 threeamigos

threeamigos

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:44

I'm a huge Bexley fan. The new Corona is fantastic!

IMG_0070.jpg

#19 pkoko

pkoko

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:21

Is this pen a new design or discontinued? I can't find it on Bexley's website....
I think of my FPs as my children.

#20 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:09

Is this pen a new design or discontinued? I can't find it on Bexley's website....

new design just came out. for sale at richard binder's place, uhm... peyton street pens? uhm... isellpens? some other places. I dunno.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

Sponsored Content

|