Ink Shops In Bangkok, Thailand

flkin

Greetings from Thailand!

Was wondering where I can find the more colorful FP inks in Bangkok?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Kin

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AuroraLeona

• Silent Speaker

• flkin

• de_pen_dent

Was wondering where I can find the more colorful FP inks in Bangkok?

You and me both :glare:

Here's my assessment:

Unless there is some special shop devoted to fountain pens, art, and inks and other neat stuff secreted away somewhere in the city, then you're pretty much limited to what you can find at the big shopping centres.

From what I can see, one has a choice of:

Parker - Black, blue and blue-black only.

Sheaffer - no idea - never interested me enough to check.

Lamy - Blue, Black, sometimes Red, rarely Green.

Caran D'Ache - .... lots of colours, they've just not interested me enough to look at them though.

There's also Dupont... though I've never looked closely enough to see if they stock ink (do they even make ink?)

Pilot - Never seen it in the dept. stores as none of them, (not even Isetan!) sell Pilot fountain pens - you might find a small, random stationary store that stocks Pilot blue... and that's it. -

There is the actual Pilot store in Silom that has some FP inks; however, I'd hazard a guess that they only have a few bottles of Blue or Black (I can't remember what I saw last time I was in there).

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The Central stores have one interesting addition and that's Pelikan:

-Blue, Blue-black, Black, Brown.... though Central Chidlom are supposedly out of Brown now as I apparently bought the last bottle :P. They are also out of Turquoise and Violet... I think (so, basically all the interesting colours that you can't get from anyone else). You could try the other Centrals... though it could be hit or miss.

=-=-=-=-=-

There's also the Montblanc boutiques; you've got the ones at the Emporium or Paragon... and Central Chidlom has a kiosk thingy that would stock all the MB inks (which are pretty nice actually, probably your best bet besides Caran d' or Pelikan for colours other than black and blue.)

Note that due to the Watch Fair that started today the Pens section has moved to the 7th floor at Chidlom.

-=-=-=-=-

And that's pretty much it, as far as I can tell and can be bothered to tell; there might be a little magical shop that stocks exciting imported inks and all... but until I hear about such a place Thailand is pretty boring when it comes to fancy inks (or fountain pens in general, really.)

-=-=-=-=-=-

I have resorted to importing more 'interesting' inks: Noodler's from the US; and I've been eying Diamine in the UK for some of their stuff.

Do tell me if you hear rumour of a "little magical ink shop" (though I won't hold my breath :mellow: )

Ah, thanks SS for the info. Looks like Central Chidlom is the place to go then for at least some colours at the MB shop. The question is whether they will allow testing with their inks! Worth a try. Noted re the watch show which is a never ending occurrence in Bangkok these days. One wonders how they can generate interest after the pretty decent one in Paragon by the Hour Glass last month.

I did see the Caran D'ache earth colour series of inks at the stationery section of the Emporium and wouldn't mind trying a few, if only they'd allow testing... At the same location, a few Pilot petit pens with a range of pretty brilliant looking colours are on show too. They make great jean pocket FPs, I've been using one without any issues for a year now.

If I find a speciality shop that serves inks, I will certainly post it here for all to see.

In the meantime, I have bought some samples from Brian Goulet's online shop (no affil). Pretty clever idea splitting inks into sample sizes and selling them that way. We get to try lots of colours and its probably a decent business for him. Looking forward to my first batch of inks soon.

I would think that you'd be more likely to get a test for the MB inks at one of their actual boutiques... the little kiosks at the Centrals I wouldn't think would be as accommodating :P. But then again, maybe MB has some kind of rule concerning allowing potential customers to test ink or whatever?

And concerning the Watch Shows, yes, you'd think they would've had enough by now! And I doubt anything forthcoming could compete with the Paragon one last month - the Patek museum, the hand mades (to see a Voutilainen in person, oh my!) etc., etc., I don't know if Central can compete when it comes to grandeur...

Also, right now at Paragon, Montblanc are showcasing their annual limited editions for the past 15 years or so (including their greco/romanesque 2011 edition), all donated by 10 or so local collectors - it's not in their boutique, but just on an empty space in the middle of the hallway on the 1st floor (I think) - worth a look if you're a FP collector :D).

I never even noticed the Pilot petit's. Honestly, I was so fed up with the lack of Japanese FP representation here that I went and ordered a Sailor from Japan out of spite :P

I know that Isetan is not in the highest tier in the Japanese dept. store hierarchy, but you'd think that they'd sell something representative of the store's origin! Alas, only Sheaffer, Lamy, and some other boring (bleep) you can find everywhere else.

I've been to the actual Pilot HQ shop in Silom a couple of times... and apart from a good deal on some Capless/vanishing points earlier this year, it's rather barren. Indeed, the only FP's they have left are a couple of Custom 74's (including an interesting model that's been long discontinued elsewhere in the world with an odd pattern or texture to it, but I forget the model no.) which even the store attendant recommends getting from elsewhere! (they have to charge superfull price, being the manufacturer and all).

She told me that once they sell off their remaining stock of FP's, that's it; no more will be ordered in. Ever.

C'est la vie! Those Pilot petit's you've seen will then be the last vestige of Japanese fountain pens in all of the Kingdom (especially since Paragon and the Emporium stopped stocking Platinum Preppy's).

But, I'll always have Engeika/Taizo for all of my 'Land of the Rising Sun' needs :D

(and, as you've discovered, the Goulet's too, for all my Noodling goodies).

-=-=-=-

Really, FPN? The word "(bleep)" is censored? Sheesh, I bet even Big Bird and Barney the Dinosaur have said (bleep), perhaps even a few of the Care Bears :P - well, "The More You Know!", I guess.

Edited by Silent Speaker

I have to report that I may have just bought the very last bottle of Pelikan Violet ink (perhaps then, the very last bottle of purple ink at all) in the country, for all I know :P

I got it at Central Pinklao yesterday.

They do have a bottle of Brilliant Brown left, if you're interested.

I'll be in Phuket tomorrow, so perhaps I'll take a gander at what the Central has there? Maybe some good deals on pens are to be had at this "remote" shop.

-=-=-=-=-

EDIT:

I have to note, that if you're interested in Pelikan inks (just blue, black , blue/black and that single brown now) they're only US $2.50 here!

They're $9 or so in the US. It makes me wonder if they are the same stuff, but the bottle and packaging are identical.

Pity that such a good deal is slowly disappearing.... into my ink collection - har har har :D

Edited by Silent Speaker

My you're putting the pressure on eh? I think I might have to grab a few bottles before you buy them all up! Yes brilliant brown was on my list and at $2.50, it's a no brainer! My ink samples are arriving on Monday, can't wait.

Voutilainen? My, we have an Independent amongst us... :-) I wonder how many pen collectors are also horologists? It might be comparing roller skate collecting to car collecting value-wise but there are many simillar attributes. Yeah, independent, the only way to go.

--

More to add, went to the stationery department of Emporium. Found more colored inks! Lamy has red, blue, black and green on sale and some J. Herblin perfumed inks alongside the Caran D'ache range.

Edited by flkin

My you're putting the pressure on eh? I think I might have to grab a few bottles before you buy them all up! Yes brilliant brown was on my list and at $2.50, it's a no brainer! My ink samples are arriving on Monday, can't wait.

Voutilainen? My, we have an Independent amongst us... :-) I wonder how many pen collectors are also horologists? It might be comparing roller skate collecting to car collecting value-wise but there are many simillar attributes. Yeah, independent, the only way to go.

--

More to add, went to the stationery department of Emporium. Found more colored inks! Lamy has red, blue, black and green on sale and some J. Herblin perfumed inks alongside the Caran D'ache range.

They have J.Herbin at the Emporium eh? I must look closer next time.

No Lamy Blue-black though, right? Pity... that's one I'd like to get a hold of (or at least the Lamy Turquoise...).

Anyway, it was a miserable rainy weekend in Phuket, so the beach wasn't so appealing (I'd imagine that scumpit Patong would've been a lot worse :P, at least I wasn't there), so I spent Sunday afternoon indoors at the Central:

Nothing of any interest to report there - the B2S has a Parker kiosk, with the usual blue or black quink (urgh...) I'd imagine - I didn't take a good look.

I was somewhat disappointed that there isn't (yet) a dedicated pen section, like they have in other centrals.

Anyway, Lardprao opened last Sunday too, so, meeting some friends there on Monday I used it as an excuse to check out what they had:

Same ole', but less. Don't bother making the trip for anything; they have less Pelikan stuff than Chidtlom.

I was at Paragon today, and was pleasantly surprised to notice something I had never noticed before:

Waterman Blue-black and Black :D

Apparently they used to carry Waterman pens (must've been when they first opened or something) because I think that the few bottles there is all that's left, so get 'em while they're hot.. uhh, 'lighty air-conditioned'.

They're about $5.80 (they're what? $10 in the states? What is this place? The ink bargain basement of the world?with, admittedly, very little ink :P).

So, only black and blue-black.

I suppose I should do some kind of comparison between all the blue-blacks I've accumulated:

-Pelikan BB

-Yard o' Led (Diamine) BB

-Noodler's Iron Chancellor (BB)

-Sailor Sei-boku Nano (BB)

-and now, Waterman BB

Gods I'm boring, aren't I?

I swear that on my next Goulet order I'll get something wacko, like Dragon's Napalm, Firefly, Apache Sunset or the (in)famous Baystate Blue!

I mean, I've got some other inks, but they're still mostly dark colours:

-N's Heart of Darkness (can't get much darker than that in my experience!)

-the B&B N's exclusive 5 o'clock Shadow (black with grey/green tones)

-J.Herbin Vert Empire (which acts... funny in my pens)

The exceptions:

-N's Black Swan (Australian variant)

-N's Fox Red

-and Pely Brown and Violet.

It's funny now that I think about it... I've carried most of this ink from Australia, France, Germany, the UK and ordered the rest from the US or Japan - what a cosmopolitan bunch of coloured water I keep in my desk drawer!

-=-=-=-=-

What ink samples have you ordered? Have you received them yet?

Edited by Silent Speaker

• 1 year later...

A year later I feel it necessary to add that Phuket STILL sucks as far as pens and inks, but even more so in inks. I can find NO red anywhere on the island. None. My green is imported. Everything not black, blue black, or bright blue is imported.

I rushed through Bangkok with a pair of guys who couldn't be less interested in pens the last time I went, and I just assumed it would be the same sort of thing. I SO wish I would have tried! But this is good to know for when I got BACK to Bangkok. Hopefully sometime soon. I love Parker's black ink, but I'm tired as all hell of Parker and Sheaffer blues.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Well, I picked up a few bottles of Caran d'Ache from Paragon. And they had a 30% sale on Caran d'Ache pens, which merely brought the prices to about 20% higher than the States. :)

Work takes me to Phuket for a week at the end of October - if anyone has any updates on availability of pens, etc there, I am all ears.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

• 1 month later...

Phuket is AWFUL for pens and inks. I've been looking for a red for what feels like forever. I remember seeing a bottle in 010, but haven't seen one since. I like Shaeffer inks (when looking what I have here) since they're nice and wet, but I use Parker inks most. I import private reserve inks for myself, but BAH that's so expensive! It would be nice not to have to go through that.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I just re-read this thread and noticed a reference that implies that some of the Centrals have a dedicated pen section... does the one in Siam have it, as well? If so, where?

I dont remember seeing one there - although I tend to visit Paragon more b/c of their most excellent Kinokuniya. I also dont remember seeing the Montblanc shop at Emporium. Must make a pilgrimage down there on my next trip!

It's not used pens, and I don't know if they have a store, but Lamy Thailand ships and they communicate in English. They have pens and ink. I can't totally recommend them since I haven't gotten anything yet, but I placed an order and they were really nice.

https://www.facebook.com/lamythailand

Phuket is AWFUL for pens and inks. I've been looking for a red for what feels like forever. I remember seeing a bottle in 010, but haven't seen one since. I like Shaeffer inks (when looking what I have here) since they're nice and wet, but I use Parker inks most. I import private reserve inks for myself, but BAH that's so expensive! It would be nice not to have to go through that.

ditto on that for phuket. i went to the biggest department stores Jungceylon and Central Festival to see if I could find some inks and hopefully a Thai made wooden pen chest, but there was nothing... I was sorely disappointed. I will be visiting Bangkok for a friends wedding in January. Hopefully I can find more stuff at Siam Paragon in the bigger city capital.

I placed my order with Lamy Thailand a few hours ago (a safari, a joy, and red ink), so we'll see how he does. When I first talked to him, he had no red ink, but he msged me when he got it in and (supposedly) let me have first right of refusal. I placed the order on facebook msger with him, we went over each piece. Free CC and because of how much and what I ordered, the shipping was free.

He has accounts at most banks (or every major bank) in Thailand, so I was able to do an ATM transfer, no problems. We'll see how it goes, how long it takes to send and arrive and the condition it arrives in, but so far, I am very pleased with the process. ฿150 for the ink, ฿890/ea for the pens.

It seems like he's getting sporadic shipments of imports, sort of like dealing with Villa Market, they get imports, but they kind of get what's left, and they don't get a list of it before it arrives (I would buy every Dr. Pepper that came to the island if there was). Because of this he occasionally gets some rare colored safari's (brown and a blue/pink, interesting colors I hadn't seen on isellpens or goulet), but those are usually a bit more expensive since he doesn't get them in so often. The Joy I ordered is red ... the picture he sent, it was all red, which I also don't see on those sites (only the black and red), so we'll see about that too.

I've not used Lamy ink before, but the bottles look very interesting, and RED INK! And amazingly cheaper than shipping ink from the US. Sure, the color options are fewer, but in everyday writing for my job, writing with some of the interesting colors won't really work.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure there are rules on double posting, but it wouldn't let me edit the above comment:

Lamy Thailand is legit and very helpful. I'm very pleased with the service I got from him and the product. As I stated before, he takes bank transfers and has an account with basically every bank there is, which means you can do the transfer via ATM if you have a Thai bank account (which I do, so it made paying amazingly easy). He's out of Chang Mai, so shipping was very quick to get here (I've been busy, which is why it took so long to post this), especially if you've ever imported pens from overseas or simply waited on mail from anywhere like North America or the UK.

Yeah, he only has Lamy, but when the only thing you can find here in Phuket is high-priced Parkers ... well.

Getting away from inks for a sec - AuroraLeone, do you have any ideas where I might get a Parker Duofold in either BKK or Phuket? I am there for some work from the 23rd onwards and a pen would be a nice reward to have to put up with a week in Phuket in tourist season.

You might try the kiosk in Central Festival (it's slightly better stocked than the one in Jungcylon, at least it was the last time I got out that direction, this could have changed). I don't even look at the Parker kiosk anymore! I know they have sonnets because that's where I bought mine, but I can't remember what else they have on display.

There might be a stationary shop in town that carries pens, but I have yet to find it. I don't drive (epileptic), so I don't explore as much as I should. There is a good-sized stationary shop near the library/immigration office/provincial park, but every time I go that direction it has been closed.

The kiosk is in B2S on the 3rd floor of Central Festival. It's in the B2S in Central Jungcylon, too.

(edt to add: Good luck. Where ever you are staying, good luck with the tourists and the tourist hunters. :D

Edited by AuroraLeona

• 8 months later...

Returning almost a year later to add:

The Parker kiosk in the B2S in Central Festival has now added Lamy pens and ink (bottle and cartridge) and Waterman (though only black and Florida Blue, and I wanted Inspired!).

Sad when this is something so exciting, hahaha

• 2 weeks later...