Hello from old NJ

jimbones7

Hello

New member who's always had an affection for quality writing instruments especially FP's. All these years of owning BP's and RB's from various makers, ie Waterman, Parker, Sheaffer, MB, Caran D' ache etc etc I've finally decided to purchase a top notch FP. I've sort of narrowed it down to a few but I'm sure it will expand. What do you think? Your thoughts/comments are always appreciated.

Jim

1.) Aurora 88 Large size

2.) MontBlanc 149

3.) Sailor 1911 Full size

4.) Sheaffer Valor

5.) Parker Duofold modern

6.) Various vintage - Sheaffer PFM, Parker Lucky Curve etc etc.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• southpaw

• Ruaidhri

• petra

• corniche

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to FPN. I'd go with a vintage pen.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

You have a great list of pens! Are you near a pen store or an upcoming pen show? If so, my suggestion would be to go and check them out in person.

Petra

Hello Jim,

You from Joyzee ... I'm from Joyzee. :D

You have a nice list to choose from; actually, they are all good pens, (although, I'm sure there are people here who would question that). I think the shakiest one on your list is the MB- they seem to have the biggest hit or miss reputation (here).

Vintage pens are nice, but make sure you get one that has been properly restored, (or have it properly restored yourself), or it will prove to be more trouble than joy for you. If you do venture into vintage pens, I recommend you purchase a copy of "Da Book" so you can learn to do most of the repairs yourself.

In sum, you have to buy the pen that appeals to you the most. If you live in North Jersey, I recommend shooting over to the Fountain Pen Hospital in Manhattan- you will be able to try out almost, (if not every), pen on your list including the vintage ones. I live in the sticks now myself, so I usually buy my pens on a wing and a prayer via mail order.

Good luck with your decision and I'm glad to see you joined FPN- this is a great place for pens and inks.

All the best,

Sean

:)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Hi and welcome to FPN Jim.

Like your list !

Personally I'd add

Parker "51" - the all time classic Pic on Richard's Site

Parker 50 (the Falcon) - very sexy nib !Pic here

Graf Von Faber Castell guilloche Pic Here

and about 200 others - don't worry the hunger and greed will come :D

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Hello and welcome. Hard to recommend one -- what are you looking for in a pen (length, girth, color, filling system, etc.)? You've got some great ones in the list, and of course the vintage track opens it up even wider.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Personally I'd add

Parker "51" - the all time classic

I have to second that. A modest search on FPN will identify the strong and widespread sentiment for the 51, and so you might as well decide whether you're in or out (and then, whichever you select, enjoy taking gratuitous potshots at the other side :lol: ). I'd recommend a later model Aerometric, a more foolproof filler system with age, though this isn't a concern if you buy a competently reconditioned Vacumatic). If buying an unknown quantity, an Aerometric with o-ring at the base of the shell may make sealing easier if you need to clean the spiders out of the collector (but not all Aeros have the o-ring). If you decide the 51 isn't for you, then you shouldn't lose much money selling it to try something else. JMO. ;)

Nihonto Chicken