Copperplate With A Fountain Pen

caliken

One quick question Ken:

How long does it take you to learn a new method of handwriting? The Palmer Method of Business Writing seems like it's taking forever, but after all, practice equals almost-perfect. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• smk

• Chevalier

• WestLothian

Have just written this for a friend, who has recently lost her mother :

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Thess413-18.jpg

Pen : Wahl Eversharp Decoband

Ink : Diamine Meadow

Paper : Tudor "Parchment"

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Does anyone else have any experience with this wonderful pen/nib combo?

fpn_1320547251__osmiroid_copperplate.jpg

Some years ago, I used this combination of Osmiroid with Copperplate nib. I agree completely with your assessment. Luckily, semi-flex is OK with Copperplate which has fairly modest shading. I like your lettering a lot, especially the word 'Osmiroid' which is particularly striking.

Ken

Have just written this for a friend, who has recently lost her mother :

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Thess413-18.jpg

Pen : Wahl Eversharp Decoband

Ink : Diamine Meadow

Paper : Tudor "Parchment"

What a beautiful, meaningful gift to give someone who is grieving.

One quick question Ken: How long does it take you to learn a new method of handwriting?[...]

I know you addressed this to Ken, but I just wanted to relate a (likely apocryphal) story that might make the question less meaningful.

Pablo Picasso was sketching in a park when a lady saw him. “You're Picasso, the great artist! Please sketch my portrait!”

Picasso agreed. After studying her for a moment, he used a single pencil stroke to create her portrait. He handed the women his work of art.

“It’s perfect!” she gushed. “You managed to capture my essence with one stroke, in one moment. Thank you! How much do I owe you?”

“Five thousand dollars,” the artist replied.

“B-b-but, what?” the woman sputtered. “How could you want so much money for this picture? It only took you a second to draw it!”

To which Picasso responded, “Madame, it took me my entire life.”

In other words, you might be better off asking someone at your own level how long it takes. For me, forever seems just about right (although I can't say that I've put in even 100 hours of practice on any particular style of writing).

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/8150/fpnsig.png

How long does it take you to learn a new method of handwriting?

DLindenbaum,

The short answer is that I don't know how long it takes. I positively enjoy the hours taking on the challenge of learning a new hand, and am therefore not aware of the time involved.

It can take a long time but it's well worth the effort.

BTW I wouldn't suggest attempting to learn two related scripts at the same time, for obvious reasons, I would avoid studying Copperplate and Spencerian simultaneously!

However, Italic and Copperplate would be OK because they are so different from each other and employ different nibs; flexible pointed for Copperplate and stiff-edged for italic.

Ken

Edited by caliken

Although after trying to learn copperplate I found myself pressing down on my italic nib when I went back to it!

• 4 weeks later...

Not trying to hijack this thread but I thought people in this forum may be interested.

I recently have some success with fitting a dip nib into a fountain pen which may be able to use for copperplate without dipping ink and is relatively portable. Here is the post (with video example) in the writing instrument forum.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/209433-wet-noodle-dip-nib-in-a-fountain-pen/page__gopid__2175590#entry2175590

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Andybiotics/Writing%20Samples/P1020494j-1reversedcolour.jpg

Mauricio - its examples like these that make me ink up my humble Noodler's flex pen again, only to be frustrated and realize it'll take something this good to really enjoy flex in a fountain pen.

Thanks for showing us this nib - it is just superb.

Salman

Salman,

Thanks for your kind words. Glad to hear you like it. I just pulled a Conklin Crescent into its regular rotation and this Conklin pen/nib display very similar writing characteristics to the Waterman 12 pen/nib mentioned in my previous post.. It is a lot of fun writing with these pens. My goal is to invest some time next year to focus on very light writing so I can better control those ultra thin and ultra flex nibs. That is when I will join your group learning (actually, mastering already) Copperplate writing. All the best to you Salman.

Mauricio - sorry I missed this post. The new year is upon us and I will be looking forward to seeing you in the Copperplate thread. The light writing is pretty easy to get used to and with your experience with flex nibs you'll be able to master it in no time.

Salman

Not trying to hijack this thread but I thought people in this forum may be interested.

I recently have some success with fitting a dip nib into a fountain pen which may be able to use for copperplate without dipping ink and is relatively portable. Here is the post (with video example) in the writing instrument forum.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/209433-wet-noodle-dip-nib-in-a-fountain-pen/page__gopid__2175590#entry2175590

Very nice indeed. It would be good to know what nibs would fit the Noodler's section. Mine are just sitting gathering dust as I never got a good ink/flow/flex combination for mine.

S.

Really interesting!

Like many others, I tried something similar, a long time ago, with near-disastrous results as the ink suddenly flowed out like water from as tap! Fortunately, I wasn't carrying the pen at the time.

You're having impressive results with your experiment. I look forward to seeing if you develop the idea.

Ken

Edited by caliken

• 10 years later...

Does anyone have an Osmiroid Copperplate screw in nib to sell? The one in the photo is the newer type "easy change" Osmiroid nib. Writes beautifully as you can see, but I use the the older type nibs in my Osmiroid 75. 

26 minutes ago, Batsheva said:

Does anyone have an Osmiroid Copperplate screw in nib to sell? The one in the photo is the newer type "easy change" Osmiroid nib. Writes beautifully as you can see, but I use the the older type nibs in my Osmiroid 75. 

I cannibalised an Esterbook nib unit and installed an Osmiroid Copperplate from an easy change for my 75. Very straightforward process.