Visconti Opera Master Clear Demo

PenEngineer

I still am enjoying mine. I have it inked up with Visconti Green right now. The heavy blind cap issue kind of goes away after time once you use it enough to get used to it. I just grip the pen slightly higher than I would other pens.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenEngineer

• raging.dragon

• delvecchio

• Yuki Onitsura

I find that the blind cap is heavier than I'd prefere, but not enough to diminish my enjoyment of the pen. The size of this pens works very well for me - it's one of the few which can really compete with my beloved OMAS 360's (original fullsize). Mine has MB Toffee Brown in at the moment, and I also like Noodler's #41 Brown in it.

• 5 months later...

I've had mine (amber) for almost 2 years now, and it's a superb writer. I love using it, but there is something about it which I find troubling. In fact this is my second, as I was forced to replace the first one for this very reason.

After filling it 6 or 7 times I noticed that the ink had completely infiltrated the tiny 'cracks' or voids in the barrel. On my first OM (also an amber) the ink started coming right out through the barrel, onto my skin (and clothing!). It hasn't happened with this one, and I've never seen a post about that happening to anyone else.

It may be that these microscopically thin voids are intended to operate thusly, to create a dimensional look to the pen once it's been inked a few times; I honestly don't know. But I find that the dark ink swaths running through the gorgeous amber body to be a distraction from it's overall appearance. It probably looks better on a blue or clear.

I dare say that if I were to load a much lighter shade ink and allow it to rest in the pen for some time, it's color would be tainted by the dark ink remaining behind in those crevices.

I'd also like to point out that it's extremely difficult to clean this pen very thoroughly, so the idea of using a lighter tint ink after a dark one is really a moot point I suppose.

Am I on my own on this?

Alright, mister, drop that Waterman and keep your hands where I can see' em.

I've had mine (amber) for almost 2 years now, and it's a superb writer. I love using it, but there is something about it which I find troubling. In fact this is my second, as I was forced to replace the first one for this very reason.

After filling it 6 or 7 times I noticed that the ink had completely infiltrated the tiny 'cracks' or voids in the barrel. On my first OM (also an amber) the ink started coming right out through the barrel, onto my skin (and clothing!). It hasn't happened with this one, and I've never seen a post about that happening to anyone else.

It may be that these microscopically thin voids are intended to operate thusly, to create a dimensional look to the pen once it's been inked a few times; I honestly don't know. But I find that the dark ink swaths running through the gorgeous amber body to be a distraction from it's overall appearance. It probably looks better on a blue or clear.

I dare say that if I were to load a much lighter shade ink and allow it to rest in the pen for some time, it's color would be tainted by the dark ink remaining behind in those crevices.

I'd also like to point out that it's extremely difficult to clean this pen very thoroughly, so the idea of using a lighter tint ink after a dark one is really a moot point I suppose.

Am I on my own on this?

I haven't noticed any cracks or voids in my amber Opera Master. The double resevoir power filler has both advantages and disadvantages - being a bit of a pain to clean is one of the disadvantages.

have Opera envy. own the standard Opera in black with the c/c fill. One of mybugs have been that for a pricey pen, I've only got a c/c and yet here is this piston filled beauty with the same lines

I'm green with envy. Nice pen!

P

Lots of wants, limited funds!

Have a blue version for a month now and I noticed that ink in the cracks of the material. First I thought something was wrong and than assumed it is inherent to the material. I hope it won't start leaking as your 1st did. Absolutely love the pen.

www.fontoplumo.nl

info@fontoplumo.nl

Here, for the purposes of illustration, is my pen with the ink embedded in what I can only refer to as 'voids' or cracks.

fpn_1334425997___mg_0190a.jpg

Alright, mister, drop that Waterman and keep your hands where I can see' em.

Excellent review and my compliments for your competence.

Clear and very direct, easy to understand even for an Italian !

Nice review of a very nice pen. I have one of these but with the older 18k gold nibs and it's one of my favourite pens. There is a way to get a complete fill without a travelling ink pot (fill as per instructions, point pen nib up, push plunger until there is no more air in the barrel, hold plunger to stop it going back, dip nib back into bottle, press plunger rest of way) but as you said, even at half capacity you've probably got enough ink for at least a couple of days' worth of writing.

Yuki

I wish to compliment personally for the filling instructions.

Since I have invented the double reservoir i thought was too difficult to explain how to fill completely the pen without a travelling ink pot. The encrease of ink reaches 30/40% and is worth doing it.

Very well also the tip of empty the front reservoir that makes the pen empty and full at the same time, it is useful in travelling conditions like in a back pack.

I have tested it on my racing bike braking at 180 miles taped to the front fork.

I can grant you that decelaration is impressive and shocks too !

No leaks at all.

Nice review! And you cannot go wrong with buying from a quality individual like Bryant, I have bought quite a few pens from him and he is just a solid person to work with. Then you compound the situation by buying such a nice piece of equipment in that Visconti. I have about 10 of them myself and they never fail to put a smile on my face when I ink one of them up.

But I do have one question for you: Early on in your post you mention that you made some type of adjustment to your Visconti as it was writing dry, I believe. What did you do and how did you do it??

Thanks,

Mike

Here, for the purposes of illustration, is my pen with the ink embedded in what I can only refer to as 'voids' or cracks.

Ok, I see that on my OMD Amber too. Until seeing the picture I thought it was just the swirls in the material. It looks like the bulk amber material (probably PMMA?) and the material swirled through it (maybe celluloid?) don't fuse completely leaving a thin void between them into which ink can flow (probably via capilliary action). I actually like the way it looks, using brown inks (MB toffee brown and Noodler's #41) though with the wrong ink colour it might look rather awful.

Nice review of a very nice pen. I have one of these but with the older 18k gold nibs and it's one of my favourite pens. There is a way to get a complete fill without a travelling ink pot (fill as per instructions, point pen nib up, push plunger until there is no more air in the barrel, hold plunger to stop it going back, dip nib back into bottle, press plunger rest of way) but as you said, even at half capacity you've probably got enough ink for at least a couple of days' worth of writing.

Yuki

Since I have invented the double reservoir i thought was too difficult to explain how to fill completely the pen without a travelling ink pot. The encrease of ink reaches 30/40% and is worth doing it.

Very well also the tip of empty the front reservoir that makes the pen empty and full at the same time, it is useful in travelling conditions like in a back pack.

I have tested it on my racing bike braking at 180 miles taped to the front fork.

No leaks at all.

The double filling technique Yuki describes also works well with the standard (single resevoir?) power filler, though it's easier to execute with either an ink window or demonstrator pen. Speaking of which, the Michaelangelo Grande LE is the only pen I know of with both the single resevoir power filler and an ink window. Did you make any others?

Oh, and taping a pen to your bike fork is an impressive torture test!

Ok, I see that on my OMD Amber too. Until seeing the picture I thought it was just the swirls in the material. It looks like the bulk amber material (probably PMMA?) and the material swirled through it (maybe celluloid?) don't fuse completely leaving a thin void between them into which ink can flow (probably via capilliary action). I actually like the way it looks, using brown inks (MB toffee brown and Noodler's #41) though with the wrong ink colour it might look rather awful.

Yuki

No leaks at all.

The double filling technique Yuki describes also works well with the standard (single resevoir?) power filler, though it's easier to execute with either an ink window or demonstrator pen. Speaking of which, the Michaelangelo Grande LE is the only pen I know of with both the single resevoir power filler and an ink window. Did you make any others?

Oh, and taping a pen to your bike fork is an impressive torture test!

I agree but only a pen aficionado will be able to manage it .

Gosh if I remember well it was a double filler , Michelangelo !?

But I am not sure !,!

But I am not sure !,!

Indeed, common wisdom is that the Michaelangelo has a double resevoir filler; however, mine seems to have a single resevoir. Though, when I depress the plunger, it doesn't pass through the ink window, so I can't be entirely certain it's not a double resevoir. I'm beginning to wonder if my Michaelangelo has a double resevoir filler with a broken/missing seal between the chambers?

All I did to adjust the nib was to use my thumb nails to push up and out on the bottom side of the tines until light passes through and until it writes just the way I like it. I can't remember, but one of the pen repair guys' website had something about adjusting nibs. It was either John Mottishaw's site or Richard Binder's.

But I am not sure !,!

Indeed, common wisdom is that the Michaelangelo has a double resevoir filler; however, mine seems to have a single resevoir. Though, when I depress the plunger, it doesn't pass through the ink window, so I can't be entirely certain it's not a double resevoir. I'm beginning to wonder if my Michaelangelo has a double resevoir filler with a broken/missing seal between the chambers?

You can check : point nib up , unscrew the blind cap of few turns ,move the plunger back few mm you should see ink going back, screw it again turn the nib down ink should not appear in the window

Very nice review of a very nice pen. I have been eyeing one for a few months but like your self, I am in school and riding on savings. I use my pens everyday for notes and the computer stays in my room. I'm hoping to be able to get one by fall semester. enjoy the pen! I am studying at Michigan State.

About the ink in the cracks/voids, can someone confirm it happened only AFTER they inked the pen?

When I looked at mine, I thought I had the same, but then I looked a little closer, and there are also some dark black swirls and specks in the cap. There is no way that that is ink on those places!

On my own, I don't think there is anything changed since I've first gotten it. And I can't imagine that there is ink in the cracks in mine, because when I've flushed the pen, crystal clear water comes out and the cracks remain the same B)

Here you can see it in the cap too:

http://www.pengallery.com/product_images/y/791/Visconti_Limited_Edition_Opera_Master_Demo_Turtle_FP__76468_zoom.jpg

Btw Dante, what bike do you ride? I'm really picturing you on some exotic Italian horse, like an MV F4 :puddle:

About the ink in the cracks/voids, can someone confirm it happened only AFTER they inked the pen?

When I looked at mine, I thought I had the same, but then I looked a little closer, and there are also some dark black swirls and specks in the cap. There is no way that that is ink on those places!

On my own, I don't think there is anything changed since I've first gotten it. And I can't imagine that there is ink in the cracks in mine, because when I've flushed the pen, crystal clear water comes out and the cracks remain the same B)

Here you can see it in the cap too:

http://www.pengallery.com/product_images/y/791/Visconti_Limited_Edition_Opera_Master_Demo_Turtle_FP__76468_zoom.jpg

Btw Dante, what bike do you ride? I'm really picturing you on some exotic Italian horse, like an MV F4 :puddle:

I believe you are correct. Mine has dark swirls in the cap as well as the barrel, and the pictures I've found of new OMD, both amber and blue, have those dark swirls.

6pound's leaking barrel may have just had a crack form along the seam between materials (probably a manufacturing defect in the resin itself - such things are inevitable, though thankfully uncommon).

Edited by raging.dragon

Excellent review of a great pen. I picked up a Opera Master Demo (Amber) from Bryant last year and its an absolute joy of a pen to write with. :thumbup:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/Fahad_Mahmood/adf85b8e-ac76-49f5-94e8-b5173443175d_zpsdb9c20d3.jpg

"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life,

the whole aim and end of human existence" Aristotle

I have both the amber and the "clear" OMD and both of them have been in continuous use for a couple of years. There aren't any cracks in mine. I suspect there may have been some defective resin out there.

They can be a witch to clean, depending on the ink. The Noodler's North African Violet was a notable experience, involving many days and lots of ammonia. Thank heavens for the VTI! However, it did come clean in the end. I have to say I'm really impressed with the level of polishing of the inside of the barrel.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.