Jump to content

The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies


Repair A Lamy Safari Cap

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rudrakabir



  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:52

After maybe 7-8 years of my mother using a lamy safari, she gave it to me. Got me hooked and I started taking it to school.

After some time, the cap became pretty loose, thinking I could repair it, I opened the cap and repaired it. Here is what to do.

1.Take a small diameter chopstick,Drill bit or Screw driver and some tape.
2.Insert it inside the cap to where the screw head kind of thing is there and push, after a bit it should pop out.
3.You will have five pieces-The cross head top part that pops out
An O-ring
the clip attached to the body
And finally a rubber sleeve
4.The rubber sleeve is the part we want to change
5.Wrap a few layers of tape maybe 2-3 layers on the sleeve and insert it back inside.
6.You can now put everything back together
7.Enjoy your tighter pen.

P.S-If this works for you pls comment.
the whole album of photos.

P.P.s- Sorry i could not figure how to upload photos so have linked to them. :glare:

Edited by rudrakabir, 20 August 2011 - 09:54.

Current ink:Noodlers polar black

Sponsored Content

#2 Steve01


    Near Mint

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Location:Brisbane, Australia

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:02

Thanks for the instructions for fixing a loose Safari end cap, they were very useful. I tried used a black self vulcanising electrical tape around the black rubber sleeve but found that it made it too tight. It is trial and error to see how much tape is required to go around the rubber sleeve.

After reassembling everything, the sleeve is now somehow tighter and the cap doesnt fall off the pen anymore.


Attached Images

  • IMG_4959_resize.JPG

Edited by Steve01, 29 April 2012 - 05:03.

Lamy Safari fine, Lamy Logo extra fine, Pilot Lucina fine

#3 amolghode


    Dipped Only

  • Member - Bronze

  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2012 - 19:25

Hey, Thanks a lot. It really worked. Though I faced some issue. I changed the process little bit.
First I tried winding the tape but it was becoming too tight. So whenever I used to pull out the pen, it started pulling out the rubber cap.
So I unwound the tape. The rubber cap got enough tighter so that it could hold the pen.
It worked smoothly.

This pen I have been using for last 3 years and one gets attached to the fountain pen. When the issue came, I was really sad.
Thanks a lot for your tips.

#4 Raghunandan


    Dipped Only

  • Member - Bronze

  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:46

Hey thanks for the tip, it was awesome. I had this problem for a while and dint know how to fix it. 


I went to an extent to buy a new cap. Thanks again for this.

#5 KBeezie


    Gerbil Charmer

  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts
  • Location:Grand Rapids, Michigan
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2015 - 21:45

I have found that a platinum cartridge with the nipple pulled out can act as a means of pushing the inner cap up into the top without blocking the hole in the inner cap (ie: after wrapping it with some electrical tape) as opposed to using the grip of the pen to push against the clutch trim (where as the platinum cartridge edges the very top of the inner cap).

#6 titrisol



  • Member - Gold

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Location:In the backwoods of Lost Hope
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2016 - 22:16

Weellll, I tried to fix my wife's Safary and it is different!!!


The top part unscrews, and revealed a "cowl" similar to the one you mentioned.

This piece of plastic is crumbling :(


Attached Images

  • Safari-Cap2.jpg
  • Safari-Cap.jpg

#7 Gentlemind63


    NOS (New Old Stock)

  • Member - Silver

  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2016 - 00:10

I just did minor surgery on my Safari and found it is like the one pictured in the first post. However, instead of using something to push through the 'cross' cap to free the parts, I used a disposable Bic pen (tail end, not ball end) to push up through the rubber sleeve and push the cross cap and rubber seal out. Then pushing the sleeve back out was simple enough.


After wrapping a layer or two of tape on the rubber sleeve I placed it on the pen and simply reinserted it into the cap, keeping it in place and pushing the cross cap back down until it was seated.


Nice and tight now :D

Sponsored Content