Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• dfurlano

• watch_art

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tyler

Thank you for opening up this Topic

Many of us have thought about what goes into retipping and nib making as well as complete pen making at Pilot.

well worth the " sidebar" trip today.

Thank to you we have seen other FPNers chime in with their thoughts and life experiences as well.

Best of luck to you as you continue to explore your idea.

Tom

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

• 3 months later...
In the prior thread, I think it was Richard Binder that said either Greg or John's set-up was $25k.

Two other points are burned into my brain on this.

Saith El Zorno;

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

I know enough about retipping nibs that I am quite willing and content to let someone else do it.

That is also basically Richard's opinion too (from the same thread).

Now.

I will always be the first in line to applaud ingenuity, perseverance and innovation.

However, when these two gentlemen conclude as they have and I know that figuratively speaking, it isn't 200 years ago and they're discussing if the earth is flat, but of a craft of which they are both intimately aware,

That pretty much answers the question for me.

Bruce in Ocala, FL-no really, if it Were That Easy, OR That Cheap, everbody would be doin it

+1

I'm about as ambitious as they come in terms of where I eventually want to go with my own repair/restoration skills, yet I had no issue giving up on the re-tipping thing once I realized that even Richard Binder and Ron Zorn don't do it...

That said, if 777 is willing to spend the time and money to learn... then I wish him the very best of luck. Perhaps I'll be sending him business some day...

Down with crummy pens!

Well, somebodies got to learn it. Not to be disrespectful, but Greg Minuskin and John Mottishaw will not live forever. When they go (which will hopefully not be anytime soon), somebody has to keep the tradition going.

Besides, it can't be that hard to learn. There are lots of watch makers and jewelers who do more precision work than nib retipping.

I sort of find it sad that there are only two well known re-tippers in the world...

I think know there is a way to do it without all that fancy equipment. Up to "code"? - no. But for saving my own nibs and restoration jobs - good enough. I'm willing to try. I've heard that it can be done with pretty primitive equipment. If you'[re good at it, it look just as professional as a nib re-tipped with a 25k setup.

I'll have to keep studying. :D

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Yep. I used to re-tip nibs, then I took an arrow in the knee.

At least you have your sweet roll.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Besides, it can't be that hard to learn. There are lots of watch makers and jewelers who do more precision work than nib retipping.

I few random thoughts after Dr A Green got me to read this thread.

I suspect it is more difficult to make watches than jewelery and it is my understanding that to get the title Master Watchmaker is neither quick nor easy. I also understand there is a great deal of difference between watch maker and watch repairer. Perhaps Greg can enlighten us. I have discussed this with others and it would be nice to hear his learned opinion. (For those that do now know, Greg studied watch making as a career in Switzerland and was deemed a master watch maker by someone other than himself.)

I don't necessarily see the connection between jewelery making and watch making/repair but can see a connection with the joining of metals between jewelery and nib work though jewelery mounts usually involve similar metals and nib tipping involves dissimilar metals.

I don't see a need for every pen repair person to do be a one stop shop.

It would be wise to excell at servicing pens first, then get proficient at straightening nibs before worrying about retipping.

I also do not see a pressing need for multiple options for retipping, the two I can readily access seem to be satisfactory for my needs. I've also observed that not many nibs need retipping and of those that do, not many are so rare that I can't easily source a correct replacement nib.

I will concede that I've had a few nibs turned into monster stubs or some other equally unusual non-factory configuration. This is where I see the real demand.

I shall attempt to say what I once heard at a pen show. 'I think he is using a laser now, much better way to do it' I'll leave the names out but it was in reference to nib repairs.

As an academic exercise I will at some venture attempt retipping as I did with welding cracks in nibs. It will be strictly an academic exercise for my own enjoyment.

I do wish anyone attempting this the best of fortunes but I'll not be sending my Parker 12s or Waterman 10s to anyone but the two mentioned for retipping and crack repair.

I do find this topic interesting.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Ask those jewelers and watch makers how many years they spent developing their skills. Ask how many hours they spent honing a new skill, and how long it took before they could turn out quality work. It takes quite a bit of time, quite a bit of practice, quite a bit of concentrated effort to get where they are now. I spent over a decade repairing my own pens before I did anyone else's. What I've learned since then could fill volumes.

There is a basic principle that one needs to keep in mind: There is a vast difference between doing something for yourself, and offering it to other people as a regular service. Before you do the later, spend a lot of time on the former. Develop the skills, invest the time, and then do a bunch of the repairs before you take people's money doing it.

By all means, learn how to tip nibs. I'll be delighted if you get really good at it Tyler. But don't settle for "good enough." Ever. Make sure that you can consistently do the best job possible. Do it right. There are enough people in the world who are happy with "good enough" as it is.

EDIT -

Entertaining that FarmBoy and I replied to the same quote, and the same time.

I was just talking with my wife about this thread. She reminded me that we know a couple of people who have tried retipping nibs. One is quite a skilled metal worker/goldsmith. He says that sure, you can do it, but it isn't easy, and it's risky. It's too easy to damage a nib, and he won't retip them for anyone else.

That's another factor. Are you willing to eat the cost of your customer's nib if you screw it up?

Edited by Ron Z

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Ask those jewelers and watch makers how many years they spent developing their skills. Ask how many hours they spent honing a new skill, and how long it took before they could turn out quality work. It takes quite a bit of time, quite a bit of practice, quite a bit of concentrated effort to get where they are now. I spent over a decade repairing my own pens before I did anyone else's. What I've learned since then could fill volumes.

There is a basic principle that one needs to keep in mind: There is a vast difference between doing something for yourself, and offering it to other people as a regular service. Before you do the later, spend a lot of time on the former. Develop the skills, invest the time, and then do a bunch of the repairs before you take people's money doing it.

By all means, learn how to tip nibs. I'll be delighted if you get really good at it Tyler. But don't settle for "good enough." Ever. Make sure that you can consistently do the best job possible. Do it right. There are enough people in the world who are happy with "good enough" as it is.

EDIT -

I was just talking with my wife about this thread. She reminded me that we know a couple of people who have tried retipping nibs. One is quite a skilled metal worker/goldsmith. He says that sure, you can do it, but it isn't easy, and it's risky. It's too easy to damage a nib, and he won't retip them for anyone else.

That's another factor. Are you willing to eat the cost of your customer's nib if you screw it up?

Wise words of wisdom. :thumbup:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

EDIT -

Excellent advice Ron. You're right - It's better not to settle for second best.

It's looking like re-tipping nibs is near impossible, still, someday, I want to do it. :)

I've considered learning watchmaking, so perhaps that trade would give me a jump-start in re-tipping nibs. hmm1.gif

Lots to think about.

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

It's looking like re-tipping nibs is near impossible, still, someday, I want to do it. :)

That's not at all true. Nathan wants a whole bunch of people learn how to do it.

Count me in... I would be very interested in this!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Not to be rude to anyone, but I think it's perfectly justified for a professional to keep his/her trade secrets, secret!

We'll have to disagree, then. Re-tipping is a very specialized skill, a throwback to a technology which has a very real chance of disappearing.

Your logic is analogous to saying that watchmakers should never reveal how to clean and lubricate a watch, *solely* because they spent their time learning it.

Just because the information is out there, it doesn't mean that the market for your services will magically disappear. I can get a book on watch repair at the local library, but I take my good watches to a watchmaker for *proper* service.

Hiding information, while understandable, has never proven to be a good thing in the long term.

Hiding information, while understandable, has never proven to be a good thing in the long term.

Is it "the long term" yet for, say, Coca-Cola?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

HaHa, cute.

They protected their specific recipe. To continue with the soda analogy, he's talking about hiding how even to carbonate water and make soda pop.

Product differentiation is great. Wonderful, in fact. Tweak the recipes, all you want. But actively seeking to prevent others from even entering the field is quite another thing.

Edited by chuckknight

HaHa, cute.

They hid their specific recipe. To continue with that analogy, he's talking about hiding how to carbonate water and make soda pop, at all.

We're getting somewhere -- you are retracting your assertion that hiding information has never proven to be a good thing in the long term. You are now drawing some dividing line between information that it is good to hide (e.g. recipe for Coke) vs. that which it is not a good thing to hide (e.g. process for carbonating water and flavoring it), based on how "specific" the information is.

Why, exactly, would it not be a good thing for the developer of the process for making soda to keep that information a trade secret?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe