Waterman 52 Bchr Vintage Pen

Blizzard42

Waterman 52 BCHR

This is my first review, so bear with me.

I was researching about flex pens and immediately got caught. I really wanted one. I've tried a titanium nib before, which was not that flexy, but it gave me an idea and I liked it. Because I didn't want to apply too much pressure, I knew it has to be a wet noodle. To get a lot of line variation, I decided to look for one that goes from XF to something up. I knew that the best option would be to purchase a vintage pen.

I've looked around and have seen Mauricio's post in the classifieds, selling flex pens. I asked him if he had one. Luckily, he just had a Waterman 52 BCHR wet noodle from XF to BB.

I immediately decided to take it. A few weeks later, it finally arrived!

First:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1843297/kleiner_DSC_8114_1.jpg

Please note, that was one of the first times I wrote with the flex pen, so I may not be experienced enough and it may not be as nice as with more experience! Also, my penmanship may be not perfect!

Interesting side note. This is Leuchtturm 1917 dot paper. I bought it mainly because it has 100gsm paper and is praised to be fountain pen proof. Interestingly, the pen caught on the fibers of the pressure and it bled through 2 pages! That's really bad!

It was a good experience to buy from him. He is very competent and knows a lot about flex pens and could give me some tips. He instantly shipped it out after my payment. It took a bit long to arrive here, but that's no wonder, since I live so far away.

Appearance & Design (9)

I really like the gold trim which suits the pen perfectly, especially with the golden nib.

It's a very elegant and classic pen, but being nothing very special in terms of design. This pen has been restored very good and is in very good condition, even though it's almost a 100 years old! That's a big plus to me! The chased rubber looks interesting and nice.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1843297/kleiner_DSC_8100_1.jpg

Construction & Quality (8)

This pen is made of a very lightweight rubber, which is of course not as superior as with the high-end modern fountain pens, but it still feels solid, more than solid enough for normal use. The cap interestingly takes about a half of a turn, even though the threads are much longer. The lever feels a bit squeaky to use, but it still operates well. It may not be as well built as with the modern pens, but hey, for such an old pen that's very good to me!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1843297/kleiner_DSC_8101_1.jpg

Weight & Dimensions (7)

I expected it to be much bigger, because it looked bigger on the pictures. Actually, this is a pretty skinny pen, which isn't bad for me. I usually prefer bigger pens, but I can handle it without any problems. It's also a very lightweight pen. In general, I prefer heavier pens but I can handle lightweight pens without any problems. That may be a matter of preference.

Even though I have pretty large hands, it still is long enough with 5 3/8”. Waterman also made smaller versions of this pen, but I like the size.

Nib & Performance (10)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1843297/kleiner_DSC_8105_1.jpg

This is the part, which this pen really shines at. The nib is perfect! It writes very wet (well, duh!). I like it very much that you can also write normally with this pen without any issues. It lays down a pretty wet line which is also very thin. I like that a lot! The flex is just perfect. It sure has got a lot of flex to it. Also, this nib is exceptionally smooth, especially for being such a fine nib! I think this may be the smoothest pen I own!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1843297/kleiner_blizzard.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance (9)

It's my first lever filling pen.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1843297/kleiner_DSC_8103_1.jpg

I really don't know why this system is not used anymore. I find it very convenient, you just pull the lever, put it in the ink, close the lever and done... It's much easier than all other fillers in my opinion!

The only minus point here would be the maintenance. It's hard to get out the water after flushing it, since some water will always stay in the pen.

Cost & Value (10)

Even though this may be too expensive for many people with nearly $500 with included shipping, but I was looking for a flex pen, and I got it. It is a pen that I can also use normally in my rotation, having a very fine, but buttery smooth nib. I can use it to put down a lot of flex. It does what it is and it does it well, that's worth the price for me!

Conclusion (Final score [sUM/6]: 8.8)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1843297/kleiner_DSC_8104_1.jpg

Even though the final score says 8.8, for me it's a 10. I searched for a flex pen and had some criteria it had to match. It fulfilled all of my expectations and more, that's well worth a 10 in my opinion. I'm really enjoying the writing with a flex pen and I think everybody should try it out and enjoy this beautiful experience! I don't regret a single penny on this purchase. I'm really happy with it.

Edited by Blizzard42

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swagginman

• Blizzard42

• watch_art

• Giordana

I have a red ripple 52 from Mauricio and I love it! Not a wet noodle, but maybe 7/10 on the flex scale, which is perfect for me. (I have trouble managing more flex than that.) And yes, Mauricio is an amazing vendor. He really goes above and beyond to make sure the customer is happy.

Beautiful and congratulations. And, may I ask what ink was used for the "Blizzard" example?

You won't believe me... It's actually Pelikan Royal Blue. It's the same as on the first picture.

I think it's one of the best inks for flex pens. It has awesome shading when flexed, behaves really well and doesn't clog the pens. The color is a really nice blue which doesn't turn black when flexed.

Edited by Blizzard42

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review! I've been eyeing those vintage Waterman pens, but the prices keep me hesitating. Hopefully I can find one that'll fit into my price range.