The Ultimate Twsbi Review - Part 6!

This review, along with all my others,

can be found on my blog. Please, do me a huge favor and check it out! I'm certain you'll enjoy your visit. :D

Well, this is the last part of my ultimate TWSBI review. Half of this part is going to be an in-depth re-cap of previous parts. The rest of it will finally conclude this mega-review. Once part 6 is done, it'll be time to move on and start reviewing other stuff!

As I will continue to do - Here's a quick re-cap with links to the 5 previous parts of the review:

Recap of Part 1:

• How did the TWSBI come about?
  • What is the TWSBI is all about?
  • What exactly is the TWSBI Diamond 530?

Recap of Part 2:

• Packaging
  • Presentation

Recap of Part 3:

• Appearance and design

Recap of Part 4:

• The nib
  • How does it write?
  • Writing samples

Recap of Part 5:

• Filling mechanism
  • Mechanics/functionality

Today's part of the review is:

Part 6:

• Overview/re-cap of previous parts
  • A conclusion/thoughts on the TWSBI Diamond 530
  • What's next? - TWSBI continues on...

First of all, I'm going to do a more "in-depth" recap of the previous parts. I'll begin with:

Part 1 - This part was all about how the TWSBI came about. About how speedy decided to make a pen according to the likes of the community of FP users. I also covered the original 530, and it's design flaws, which were quickly corrected by the company. We talked about what the TWSBI 530 is:

• A Pelikan M800-sized fountain pen
  • A piston-filler
  • A demonstrator (a pen of which the internal components can be seen)
  • An inexpensive pen
  • A well-built pen
  • A pen made specifically for the FP enthusiast

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3GoWzDzjTMs/TflwQDuLAVI/AAAAAAAABP4/3m8e7fJvRHA/s400/DSC09606.jpg

Part 2 - We began diving into the packaging and presentation of this amazing pen. The TWSBI far exceeds the standards of packaging/presentation for its price-range. The TWSBI packaging is on par, if not better than most $150.00 fountain pens.

Part 3 - Was spent discussing the appearance of the pen. The TWSBI 530, to my eyes is a gorgeously designed pen. It won a red dot design award award for its innovative, beautiful, and extremely functional appearance. Everything, from the nib to the piston-filling mechanism, looks like it belongs on a pen twice the price.

Part 4 - We talked about the most important part of any pen - the nib. In my experience, the 530 nibs were fabulous! Some others had a few minor problems with them, but I had none with mine. They were smooth, reliable, and easily interchangeable (a feature I always love).

Part 5 - We began wrapping things up here by talking about the filling system, and the mechanics/functionality of the pen. The pen is a piston filler, which in my eyes is the best filling system. It combines the massive ink capacity of an eyedropper, with the reliability of a c/c filler. The functionality of the pen is excellent as well. This pen is made to be used - not looked at, though it still is beautiful. Everything about this pen makes it a true workhorse.

Now we're at part 6. I'm going to finish up this review with a few (hundred) final words on the TWSBI Diamond 530.

Overall, through the course of this review my thoughts have still not changed on the TWSBI. I will always love this pen! It has set a new standard for what is possible in pen manufacturing. Never before has such quality, functionality, customer service, and beauty been packed into a $40.00 price range. This pen was made to be affordable, so that anyone could buy one - and I sincerely hope everyone gets to try out a TWSBI Diamond eventually. It's not worth missing!

This pen has become an icon for the FP community. Never before have I seen such excitement about a pen, and for such good reason either! This pen has attracted dozens of people, and has not let 99% of them down. I can't say enough about how great it is. For all it's miniature flaws, I am truly impressed with it in every aspect.

I think that the company has started with a bang, and they show signs of continuing on with their amazing products. This brings to me the final part of the ultimate TWSBI review. I'm going to talk about "what's next?".

I am happy to report that TWSBI is planning on continuing to produce high-quality pens, for as long as they can. They are currently working on quite a few projects including inkwells, new pen models, and new versions of current pen models! The latest thing from the TWSBI workshop is the all-new Diamond 540. This is the new version of the 530, the pen that I have reviewed. This pen is almost the exact same, with just a few changes. I'm going to list all the changes right here in a semi-definitive list:

1) The clip is now made out of brass instead of stamped steel.

2) The cap threads are smoother than on the 530.

3) The pen holds approx. 30% more ink!

4) The piston seals have been enlarged to further prevent leakage.

5) The nibs will be changed over to being manufactured by Bock Germany. These new nibs will not be installed though until all the old nibs are used up.

That's all the changes as far as I know. Here is a picture of the two pens compared:

The pen on the left (filled with Diamine Sunshine) is the 540. The pen on the right (filled with Diamine Golden Brown) is the original 530.

As you can see, the 540's piston capacity is noticeable larger than that of the 530. This is really the only visual difference between the two.

This pretty much concludes my ultimate TWSBI review! Wow, that sure was long. I do believe this will go down in history as the fountain pen world's most comprehensive, extensive, and lengthy review! I hope you have enjoyed the whole thing, as I have enjoyed putting it together.

I think that TWSBI is a fabulous company, and deserves a huge amount of credit for making such an amazing pen. They have listened to the voice of the FP community and they have built a pen that we can all enjoy! I am greatly looking forward to all the future pens that TWSBI will come out with. I have no doubt that they will exhibit the same amount of quality as the 530.

If you have not yet been convinced of how great the TWSBI 530 is, then there's not much hope for you now.

;)

Since the 540 has succeeded the 530, the original pen is no longer available. However, the 540 is literally the exact same pen as the 530, with only a few better changes! I recommend you go and buy one right now if you haven't yet. It's an amazing pen, and priced at a level that nearly anyone can afford. For now they are only sold on

TWSBI's retail store, Amazon, and a few other select retailers. But word has reached my ears that they are soon to be widely available from your favorite retailers! Keep watch, and be sure you pick one up - you can't go wrong with this incredible pen!

Best Regards,

777 - Tyler Dahl

Edited by 777

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JBat

• raging.dragon

• KrazyIvan

Excellent series of reviews, Tyler. It seems the Diamond 540 is no longer available at the TWSBI store. I assume they sold out already. I was looking forward to a 540 with a 1.1 nib that was rumored to be in the works. I'll keep looking, but I think that won't be happening for me.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

I think that the company has started with a bang

The Diamond 530 wasn't the first TWSBI. They've been making other fountain pens and mechanical pencils for a little while.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I think that the company has started with a bang

The Diamond 530 wasn't the first TWSBI. They've been making other fountain pens and mechanical pencils for a little while.

Very true. :)

I consider the 530 TWSBI's "intro" pen. Basically, the pen that got them popular...

I'm not a fan of the design of their other FP. The mechanical pencil on the other hand, seems very nice.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Excellent series of reviews, Tyler. It seems the Diamond 540 is no longer available at the TWSBI store. I assume they sold out already. I was looking forward to a 540 with a 1.1 nib that was rumored to be in the works. I'll keep looking, but I think that won't be happening for me.

Thank you! Wow, they sold out fast, though I'm not surprised to hear it. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing them come out with stock stubs/italics!

The other change is the move to Bock nibs for the B version. It's not fully phased in but it is in the pipes. :thumbup:

Ah yes! Thank you for telling me that. I forgot...

I'll update the review. :)

FPN%252520banner.jpg

The mechanical pencil on the other hand, seems very nice.

true. my brother impulse-bought one this winter, and he's been very happy with it. now he's looking forward for the vac 700.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

I heard last night that Goulet Pens will be getting some in as early as next week. I think the only nibs available at the moment are the usual suspects, (B, M, F, & EF,) but they will also be carrying the other nibs as well, when they come out.

Hope this helps.

Michael

The RavenLunatic

Semper insanit omnes tempore.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

The SERVICE is excellent.

Speedy and Susan were all over a problem I created, fixed it, and sent it back in record time.

They Follow-Up on the Follow-Ups.

Everything about this pen (I own two 530s and a pencil) and the company is just great.

Edited by zwingster

The Zwingster

Thanks, Michael. I need to go look. Haven't visited them since my special order for an Aston 3 pen case. It gets costly, all this window shopping...

I heard last night that Goulet Pens will be getting some in as early as next week. I think the only nibs available at the moment are the usual suspects, (B, M, F, & EF,) but they will also be carrying the other nibs as well, when they come out.

Hope this helps.

Michael

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Did you notice that the threads on the 540 cap now have a definite stop point? It is like it screws in with a slight resistance then loosens and stops to let you know it's closed. I like that.

Yea, I really like the new threads!

I Love how it tightens down, and then slip past the hard point and stops. Feels very secure!

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Great series of reviews on a really cool pen! Thanks for all the work!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Great series of reviews on a really cool pen! Thanks for all the work!

Thank you for the kind words. Above all other pens, this one really deserved this review I think. :)

FPN%252520banner.jpg

TWSBI Diamond 540 is awesome !

(I am 60 years old, and I never say "awesome".)

I am a vintage Parker collector. Your reviews are the reason I bought a TWSBI Diamond 540.

It is the most thoughtfully designed pen I have ever seen. It is as smooth as any Parker 51

that I adore. I just ordered three more to give this Christmas. I will try to get a 530 for

myself.

You and TWSBI have made joining FPN most rewarding.

Thank you.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Awesome review! Just reminds me that I still need to pick a 540 up. Hmm... I do need a dedicated red pen...

Gah! Now I want one of these pens after reading all these reviews. It'll have to wait until I get funding! LOL. Wonderful. Nice job, though!

Edited by rbadger332

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

TWSBI Diamond 540 is awesome !

(I am 60 years old, and I never say "awesome".)

I am a vintage Parker collector. Your reviews are the reason I bought a TWSBI Diamond 540.

It is the most thoughtfully designed pen I have ever seen. It is as smooth as any Parker 51

that I adore. I just ordered three more to give this Christmas. I will try to get a 530 for

myself.

You and TWSBI have made joining FPN most rewarding.

Thank you.

Yup, you need one for yourself. ;) Everyone needs one.

Okay, not really. I do think however, this pen deserves to be the knew recommendation for any "first pen" thread. It's great for beginners! Or us folks with larger collections too!

Awesome review! Just reminds me that I still need to pick a 540 up. Hmm... I do need a dedicated red pen...

I hope they come out with a new shipment soon, as the current ebay ones are sold out. :|

But yes, when they come out I hope you get one!

Gah! Now I want one of these pens after reading all these reviews. It'll have to wait until I get funding! LOL. Wonderful. Nice job, though!

Sorry about your budget...

Well, maybe I'm not really. ;)

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed the review!

FPN%252520banner.jpg

After your review, I broke down and bought a 540. It arrived in the nearby post office today, but they didn't deliver it today :( So sad. Not sure if I can go pick it up there, there's a lot of hills and I don't feel like walking so far today XD

Anyways, your review was wonderful and really helped me justify buying a TWSBI!

Pleasure to meet you, hope to talk to you more!

After your review, I broke down and bought a 540. It arrived in the nearby post office today, but they didn't deliver it today :( So sad. Not sure if I can go pick it up there, there's a lot of hills and I don't feel like walking so far today XD

Anyways, your review was wonderful and really helped me justify buying a TWSBI!

I'm very glad to hear that I was able to assist you in buying a TWSBI. :D

Oh boy, waiting for the mailman... I know the feel. I get so many packages being a Pen-Restorer, but I still am impatient every time! I just got some stuff int he mail today that I've been waiting for (for what seems like) forever...

Let us know when it gets to you, and what you think of it! :)

FPN%252520banner.jpg