Aurora Ipsilon Resin Xf

RBC

First Impression: Being relatively new to the world of fountain pens, I had no idea what to expect for $99, so I was very impressed with the packaging, from the outside box with the ghost nib to the stout flip up case inside. Very nice.

Appearance & Design: 9/10

I am rating this in relation to the price, not in contrast to all the other pens out there. The black resin with gold accents is appealing to the eye, the shape is elegant, the clip is attractive, proportions are good. There is nothing unpleasant about it at all. The three gold bands with Aurora Italy are a very nice touch and add a very nice visual weight to the overall design along with the gold bands at either end.

post-72394-0-56140300-1313284147.jpg

Construction & Quality: 9/10

Again, for the money, this is a well made pen. The cap fits nicely, it feels like a good grade of resin, not overly lightweight, not cheap or flimsy. There is a very faint seam on both sides, but only on the section, so it is not visible when capped, and not really noticeable when uncapped. The cap snaps firmly and holds well. The threads in the barrel are machined with a fair amount of precision - it takes 9 twists to remove the section.

Weight & Dimensions: 8/10

I have relatively big hands - 8 inches from wrist to end of middle finger, but when posted this pen is a dream to handle. The cap posts firmly (though it will turn) and the balance is nice. However, when uncapped it is very light and not as pleasant to write with; it begs for the cap to make it whole. A person with small hands may have a completely different experience and enjoy it uncapped, but with my large hands I need it capped.

Nib & Performance: 8/10, with flashes of 10/10.

This is an XF steel nib, with the other choices being F, M and B. The feed is not ribbed on the underside and stays very dry, which is nice. There is a small bit of flex, but I am not a flex writer.

post-72394-0-86924900-1313287244.jpg

As others have mentioned, Aurora nibs have some tooth, and this one is the first toothy pen I've owned. At first I didn't think I'd like it, but it does not scratch or catch, even on cheap paper; it just has friction, and it's louder than other nibs. I first inked it with Iroshizuku Yama Budo, which is a fairly lubricated ink, and it put down a generous line in spite of the friction. Then I inked it with Waterman Florida Blue, and the line seemed half the width of the Yama Budo. But here is where I got the flashes of 10 - I found the friction did not slow down my writing, and I can write pretty fast. It never skipped, never seemed dry, it was simply precise. I found myself saying out loud: hey, this is nice! After the normal wet flows of most inks on wider nibs, this crisp line was really pleasing, and I became quite fond of the touch of this nib on good paper. Sometimes I am aware of the noise of the nib, but the writing experience is constantly enjoyable.

post-72394-0-25108100-1313286628.jpg

Filling System & maintenance:8/10

This comes with a cartridge and a converter which looks well made, but feels kind of lightweight and, at least the first time, was rather stiff compared to my Lamy Z24 converter. I have not used the cartridge, instead installing the converter, which fits very well and fills easily. I didn't seem to have as much trouble getting it to fill most of the cartridge on the first try as I do with Lamy or Pelikan. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe this is designed well. Because of the lack of ribs on the feed, it cleans nicely.

post-72394-0-82475200-1313288726.jpg

For a small pen it holds a decent amount of ink. Cleanup is quick, especially using the bulb syringe trick.

Cost vs. Value: 10/10

I have no reservations at all giving this a perfect score in the cost/value category. I got it from new Goldspot.com, which is $25 below the stated MSRP, and I easily got my $99 worth with this pen. Richards Pens has it for $75, but not in XF. I still feel like I got a great value...it's that nice.

Overall: 8.8/10

This is my first Aurora pen. I own a 1950's Pelikan 400, a current M800, a few Lamys and this pen, yet this is the first one that has inspired me to write a review. I'm quite pleased with it overall, and I don't know of a better value in this price range. I like how it looks, the balance, the feel, and I enjoy writing with it...a lot. There's a certain quality that I can't quite put to words, a personality if you will. Maybe it's the surprise at getting a good value in a low priced pen, or the unusual and intriguing nib feel. Or maybe it is just mystisk, as Elling would say.

Edited by RBC

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RBC

• ballboy

• humblescribbler

• Bluefinntuna

Your reaction to your Aurora Ipsilon very much echoes my reaction to my Aurora Style (the other pen in what Aurora calls their "everyday" line of pens): unpretentiously sized, moderately priced, stylish, reliable, and writes with personality.

I've so far been successful in convincing myself that since I have a Style, I don't need an Ipsilon. This review may finally break me down. It really looks good in the classic black and gold.

... my only aurora pen is the Style in yellow resin with a B nib. very, very scratchy. i did some smoothing and now i have it tuned up the way i wan it.

will i get another aurora?... maybe... the Ipsilon has been in my sight for sometime, but i guess i don't want it bad enough to take the plunge.......

... i gues i'm just thinking aloud here. :embarrassed_smile:

it's a nice review, RBC... thanx!

if i get it (the Ipsilon), it will be the orange one with an F or EF nib.

Great review RBC.

It is quite strange that the Aurora Ipsilon talked about much on this forum. It is in the price range of Pelikan m200, but I hardly see posters recommend this pen.

I have a yellow one with EF nib which is smooth out of the box. It is one of the better pens in my modest pen collection.

I own two Ipsilons, one F and one M and I use them frequently. They are reliably well-made and as you mention in your excellent review, precise. The F is the same line as one of my other EF pens, but the nib (which has very little flex) hasn't spread in almost 6 years. Quality.

Thanks and :W2FPN: .

• 3 weeks later...

The gold nib is smooth, with a pleasant hint of feedback. Sits well with my black C/T Ipsilon De Luxe

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

I have two Ipsilons: a standard one in black satin (EF) and a Deluxe in a sort of dark grey with a kind of cobwebby pattern (Pendleton Point). They are two of my favorite pens. I've often been puzzled by the lack of press these pens get. If asked to recommend a $100-ish pen, I'd be hard pressed to choose between this and an M200.

I have a grey satin in M and I got on sale at €25 with the converter included. For daily use is great as it writes very well, it's nice looking I don't have to worry about losing it or scrathcing it!

One of my best deals.

Per aspera ad astra

• 1 month later...

I recently got the Ipsilon DeLuxe 13-CG from one of the stores lining up Ameyoko. 14K white gold nib. The nib is a great writer, the only thing I don't like about it is the weight! FWIW, I have small hands. I like using this Aurora unposted.

My Ipsilon has some brass insert in the body. Can this be removed? (to reduce the weight)

All the best,

Rommel

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Ypsilon Deluxe version in marine blue with a 14k stub nib. Used to writing a vintage Pelikan, I thought the nib is a bit stiff. But the line variation is excellent.

I love this pen also for two other reasons:

- The superb design. It pleases the hand and the eye. The plastic material feels just "right", and the weight gives it the feel of elegance and worthiness. Very close to perfect. Very Italian. Professional and unobtrusive. It is very well balanced, and as sessyargc pointed out, it has a brass insert in the body that gives it weight and moves the centre of gravity to the back. I would never dream of removing it! To be honest, this is exactly what I miss on my red Autora Talentum.

- The cap is push/pull. It closes and opens with a soft "smack", i.e. a smooth click / plop. Very functional, with high quality plastic materials and a perfect fit.

This pen is perfect for people with small hands. If you love the size of say a Pelikan M200 or M400, then you might like this one, too.

• 5 years later...

I've an Ipsilon since a few months and I love it!!! All the things that are said about this pen reflect my own experiences. It's my first Italian pen and I have discovered the Italian Passion for the fountain pen.

A good fountainpen is an edc reliable writing tool

Ipsilon was my second pen (first was a Jinhao x750). I ended up the matte black and just love the fit and finish. I went with the 1.2 italic nib and love the sharpness. Not as forgiving as a stub but great line variation.

I like that they make their pens in house.

Been eyeing a light blue style.....hmmm