Rotring 600 Nibs - Exchangable?

ballen98a

I have looked through many threads related to this topic, but don't see a definitive answer.

Recently I bought a Rotring 600 in Lava (most recent version) with a B nib. It is way to large for me, but don't see any way to change the nib unless I buy a new pen or get it re-ground. I see some threads that mention that possibly the nib is the same as for other series, for instance the Art Pen, which would be a cheap/quick alternative. Are they compatible?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ballen98a

• koulour

• mana

• Pentangeli

Hello ballen98a,

Yes, the Rotring 600 fountain pen nib is interchangeable with other Rotring pens. :clap1:

In particular, I have exchanged my Rotring 600 nib with the nib of the Rotring Esprit. It is basically the same nib in size and shape even if they are gold plated or in plain stainless steel. The nibs pull out from their feed just like Lamy Safari nibs do.

The Rotring 600 can also use the nib from the Rotring Art Pen except that the Art Pen's nibs are calligraphic in 1.1mm, 1.5mm. 1.9mm sizes. If you find the B nib too large, you will like the F or M nibs from the Rotring Esprit. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Pentangeli

Rotring 600 (1st gen, knurled) and Newton (2nd gen, non knurled) are not interchangeable. Also, Art Pen nibs do not fit the original 600 feed/section (I know because I have tried).

I have however heard that Rivette and Esprit nibs fit Newton and it seems that Art Pen nibs fall into that category too.

Thanks for the information Pentangeli and Mana! I've ordered an Esprit pen with an fine nib and will give it a shot and report back. I have a second generation 600.

Pentangeli - It looks like there are two versions of the Art Pen, the calligraphy series and the sketching series, the sketch series coming in F and EF nibs. I am not sure if they are typical F and EF nibs though.

ballen98a,

The Art Pen Sketch series nibs are basically the same size as the Calligraphy Series nibs. I agree with mana when he said that Art Pen nibs do not fit the Rotring 600 pen.

However, I am very sure that Rotring Esprit nibs will fit both the 1st & 2nd generation Rotring 600 pens because I've done it. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

ballen98a,

The Art Pen Sketch series nibs are basically the same size as the Calligraphy Series nibs. I agree with mana when he said that Art Pen nibs do not fit the Rotring 600 pen.

However, I am very sure that Rotring Esprit nibs will fit both the 1st & 2nd generation Rotring 600 pens because I've done it. :thumbup:

Hi, How difficult is the nib replacement on the series 2 (Newton) rotring 600?

Thanks,

Clive

• 1 month later...

ballen98a,The Art Pen Sketch series nibs are basically the same size as the Calligraphy Series nibs. I agree with mana when he said that Art Pen nibs do not fit the Rotring 600 pen. However, I am very sure that Rotring Esprit nibs will fit both the 1st & 2nd generation Rotring 600 pens because I've done it. :thumbup:

And if Esprit and "Knurly 600" nibs are interchangeable would you say that feeds are too? Please tell me so, I can't find a replacement nib and feed for my one week old (NOS) 600, but I can find the ones from Esprit. I have destroyed both while trying to disassemble them from the section in order to "fix" flow issues... :bonk: :crybaby:

Edited by Mckoulour

Κοίτα εκεί που θες να πας, αλλιώς...

...θα πας εκεί που κοιτάς.

• 2 weeks later...

I will gladly take that B nib off your hands if you wind up replacing it and find no use for it, been on the hunt for one for some time.

Dear all,

You might find the attached file useful (If it can be seen). The file contains information about the rotring 600 series and the last page contain information about the nibs (be careful when you use it).

If the file does not attach please let me have your email address and I will send you a copy.

Regards Lawrence

Rotring 600 series range 20-9-11.pdf

Just had a look at an Art Pen (fairly old, 1.1mm) and an Esprit (recent purchase but obviously NOS). The Art pen nib has a flat top whereas the top of the Esprit nib is rounded. Are these versions still interchangeable? I do hope so - 1.1m-nibbed retractable pen - yum!

You should also be able to use nibs from the Rotring Freeway.

I own both the 1st gen rOtring 600 and (what I believe to be a rather recent edition of) the Freeway. The nibs from what someone can tell from the outside looks are quite similar, but the one of the Freeway seems somewhat more rounded, curved shaped on the top as opposed to the almost LAMY-like-flat top of the 600. The other "dimensions" seem to be the same. So, Ron Z, this could be true, but I can not second your opinion about the Freeway totally sure.

The first time I will take apart the nib from the feed of the Freeway I will try to compare their exchangeability with the one of the 600 and post results. So far it seems to show the same difficulty in parting from the section as the 600 did and I don't want to waste one good rOtring again (please read my previous post)! Maybe after a good soaking better results are possible.

PS:The section is plastic, screwed to the barrel(?) by fine thread. Afraid that if I pull hard enough for taking the nib and feed apart the aforementioned will become bad I stoped to the amount of the strength of a child. What looks like the section of the Freeway is in fact a metal barrel containing the true (plastic) section.

Edited by Mckoulour

• 1 month later...

The first time I will take apart the nib from the feed of the Freeway I will try to compare their exchangeability with the one of the 600 and post results.

No fellow fpners, this is not the case. I can confirm the Freeway and the 600 (1st gen.) have completely different nibs, more so on the part that you do not normally see when it is fixed in to place.

If someone is to repair his 600 I would advise to search ebay. Ebay.de preferably, there seem to be some section units for sale from time to time. At least that is what I did and I now have my all new, lovely, BB nib 600! :thumbup: :cloud9:

• 6 months later...

I have been reading this thread in respect to rotring 600 pens. I receivd a series 1 rotring 600 fountain pen as an anniversary gift, having lost my original from the early eighties a few years ago. The pen unfortiunately arrived with an EF nib, which is too narrow for my writing style. A couple of questions

Q1. Where can I find a M nib?

Q2. I understand from the thread that the old nib can be pulled out, I have tried, without success so far. Can someone assist with a bit more directions on this?

Q3. The ink cartridge is very small. Is there a longer version with more ink capacity available?

Howdy!

A1. Spare nibs/sections are really hard to come by but I have a spare 600 series steel M nib (just the nib, no feed/section) that I am willing to let go. I actually prefer EF nibs and would be open for a nib to nib swap. PM me for details if interested.

A2. The feed and nib are friction fit and they can indeed be pulled out of the section. The best way is to pry it out from underneath the feed. There should be a slot/channel there to which you can insert the head of a small screwdriver (or something similar, note that the tip has to have sharp edges/acute corners instead of being rounded so that it has a less of a chance of slipping).

Grasp the pen with the "non-operating hand" so that section falls into the crook of the first two joints of your forefinger and is held in place by the thumb. Hold the body of the pen in place with the rest of the fingers and palm. The slot in the feed should be barely visible and facing the thumb. Now place the tool in the slot and slowly nudge or pry the nib/feed combo forward by using the thumb as the fulcrum/pivot point. Feel free to adjust the position of the pen along the way.

Force should be projected only forward, this is of utmost importance due to the fact that the feed is rather fragile. Also, if the feed appears stuck/immobile do not force it. Rather, prolonged soaking of the section in water/ammonia solution is recommended to dissolve the possible clogged ink.

A3. You can use international size converters (bottled ink FTW!). Waterman/Schmidt/Pelikan work fine.

Hi,

The Artpen uses a different nib and feed, but most other Rotring pens with the exception of the Initial use the same nib as the 600.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 2 years later...

Hi - apologies for digging up a very old thread but does anyone know if a complete nib section (inc feed etc) from a Rotring Newton fountain will fit in the barrel of a 600 fountain ? I need a new barrel for my matt silver Newton but can't find one but have seen a 600 barrel on eBay. Any help appreciated.

Edited by ilium007