Montblanc Thomas Mann -

Sidestreaker

The WE Thomas Mann is the latest addition to my writer’s edition collection. It was a late birthday gift from my wife. She was aware of the collection that I have and for some reason, this was particularly hard to find. However, she managed to secure it and kept it as a surprise for me. With so many great pictures taken and published here in the forums by our fellow members, my expectation was high and it did not disappoint. I have a feeling it will probably be my newest WE for a longer time as I’m not too keen with the latest offering of the WE line for this year, but that’s a story for another day. Today, I’ll like to share my joy and satisfaction of this writing instrument, one that instantly became my favorite in my collection.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P6252449.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSION

Sealed in a standard Writer’s Edition box, WE Thomas Mann has one of the more attractive cover design on its packaging. Inside it, the lacquer finish gives a beautiful shine, with its silver inlays giving just the right amount of touch of aesthetic to it.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P6252464.jpg

DESIGN 9/10

One of the more understated pen in the WE line, I’ll rank this along with Dostoevsky, Voltaire, or maybe Kafka. The platinum inlays reminds of the architectural and design elements of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, an architect who lived in the contemporary era of Thomas Mann. I can relate to the aesthetic which the design derives on, based on Modernism movement during that time, that focus on simple lines and economical elements, emphasizing on the beauty of its natural mass/form rather than using ornamental or patterns. I’d imagine it would fit in perfectly in a photo shoot in one of Mackintosh’s interior designs. If the design intent is to evoke the era of art movement during era, it has accomplished it extremely well. I’d like to see more design like this with a concept and meaning, rather than just casual aesthetic. It just gives more depth to the product. The clip is platinum plated with and onyx colored zircon stone, adds a bit of interest to the whole composition.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P6252458.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P6252459.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P6252460.jpg

CONSTRUCTION AND QUALITY 8.0/10.0

I deemed any lacquer finish pen as more superior to PMMA or ‘precious’ resin, given the better depth of color tone, durability and the solid feel when holding it. The platinum inlay adds more interest to the finish and actually gives more depth to the surface. The lines on the cap and barrel lines perfectly when capped, another proof of a well engineered instrument. However, I suspect not all parts are made of lacquer. The piston knob feels ‘light’ compared to the rest barrel, and has the amber glow under a reading light suggesting that it may be made of resin. I have no complains at all on the choice of material here but compared to the WE Shaw or Twain, the knob doesn’t have that smooth turning feel. In fact, it has a rather coarse almost like grinding feel to it when I turn it. I think Shaw has a better constructed turning knob design (made of lacquer with platinum plate caps) compared to this.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P6252445.jpg

WEIGHT AND DIMENSION 8.0/10.0

The heavier than resin feel gives me more confidence of its durability and commands more respect as a limited edition pen. Its not to heavy for lengthy writing and I personally enjoy the extra weight that helps me relaxes my grip. Like most pen, I don’t post the cap when writing, and I find the length more than sufficient to write well, furthermore, I don’t think any extra weight will help with the balance.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P6252472.jpg

NIB AND PERFORMANCE 9/10

This writes almost like my WE Twain, glass smooth, minimal feedback and the typical MB bolder than usual medium stoke lines. I enjoy medium nib as it is suitable for most purpose with its almost ball nib that lays a consistent quality of line, and writes well on almost all sort of surface of paper. Those who like to have some tooth may not enjoy this as it is meant to be a smooth writer. The nib design has the Buddenbrooks House façade engraved on it as a tribute to the writer, and can go into the ranks of other impressive nibs such as Verne and Shaw.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P6252474.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P8124909.jpg

REFILL AND MAINTENANCE 9/10

Another trusty piston fill pen, works tremendously well and the only complain I have as mentioned above is the lack of smoothness I’d expected as with my other WE. The lacquer finish is smooth and can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth. Cleaning the nib block seems easy and straightforward.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P6252476.jpg

VALUE 7/10

My wife bought this at retail price earlier this year, before the price hike. She was lucky to acquire one of the few remaining stock. Looking at the current trend on eBay, a roller ball pen is already reaching the price of the this FP’s retail price tag back then. Given the increasing scarcity of this this item on the market, I reckon having it at yesterday’s retail price is still a good buy.

OVERALL 8.33/10

I think the highlight of this pen is in the design. All functional aspects such as mechanism and nib performance are already excellent, which are its basic expectations anyway. We have seen many other limited edition released by Montblanc to give that extra special factor in a writing instrument. What they did with Thomas Mann, and what I really liked about it, is the very fundamental idea of a simple execution that has all the sophistication of respectable well-thought of piece of writing instrument. The design, choice of material and execution is simple yet elegant, did not try too hard to impress, yet just enough to make one stop and appreciate the added value being put into it. One would not hesitate to pick it up and use it immediately and there are no worries or being extra careful on an otherwise over-ornamented/treated design of a pen that may distract thoughts and ideas to be put on paper. Will it become my long term favorite companion, only time will tell. Right now, I’m already anxious to finish off this review and get back into my journals.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P6252457.jpg

2 of my favorite lacquer pen, WE Mann and Leman CdA

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/Writing%20Instruments/P6252470.jpg

Thanks for reading, cheers.

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/sidestreaker/lifestyle/logo.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sidestreaker

• ethernautrix

• agentdaffy007

• OC Mike

Very Cool. The Mann has been on my wishlist for quite a while. This review makes me want to buy one right this second.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Lovely review and some excellent photos. You're a lucky man to get this as a gift.

I love the feel of the laquer and the effortless way the cap unscrews. The detail on the nib is also one of the best in all the WE pens - I always have to look twice to find where the year is engraved on the nib.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

Really, really beautiful piece.

"As the purse is emptied, the heart is filled." -- Victor Hugo

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/centurycigar/2j26aaa_zpsf21706be.png

Very nice, congratulations!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Nice review, Sidestreaker, good luck with your Thomas Mann. It's one beautiful fountain pen! A fantastically smooth writer. I purchased mine end of Feb., got a nib change out to medium in Hamburg, and received it in April. I like everything about the pen and I write with it just about every day. Again, congratulations and have fun. Pete

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man

that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.

Thackeray

Thank you for the kind words :)

Edited by Sidestreaker

My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

Thanks for the review. That is a beautiful pen. Enjoy it.

Dave

Thankful for being blessed with a genteel life and wonderful wife

Very nice review of a great looking pen with its black tie appearance. I like the tag line too...the only question is <joke> "are u Mann enough?"

Great pen & great review

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Thanks for a well thought out review. Congratulations on your new pen. I've been hesitant to get one, but now I'm more encouraged to consider one in my collection.

Best of luck.

cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Thanks again all, glad you like it...

Thanks for a well thought out review. Congratulations on your new pen. I've been hesitant to get one, but now I'm more encouraged to consider one in my collection.Best of luck.cheersWael

Initially it was not on my list as well, as I have only seen it in pictures. It only appealed to me after I have seen and feel the roller-ball version of it, guess it's best to see it in person. Last I heard Richemont in Dubai Mall has stock of this. :)

Edited by Sidestreaker

My link

Gorgeous photos of a very handsome pen!

I couldn't read the review (only skimmed it), because I had a Thomas Mann. And it was just as handsome and wonderful as yours.

However, I acquired it at about the same time I became a diehard Nakaya fangirl, and I realized, switching between the Nakayas and the Mann, that the Mann was too heavy for my hand. So I sold it. (Heavy sigh.)

It was a tough decision, but I knew that having become accustomed to the lightness of urushi, I wouldn't use the Mann. Also, I used the proceeds to pay for a Nakaya. So... win-win.

Still and all, this is a very beautiful Montblanc.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

So the million dollar question. Mann or Twain?

having one will just miss out the other....

Gorgeous photos of a very handsome pen!I couldn't read the review (only skimmed it), because I had a Thomas Mann. And it was just as handsome and wonderful as yours.However, I acquired it at about the same time I became a diehard Nakaya fangirl, and I realized, switching between the Nakayas and the Mann, that the Mann was too heavy for my hand. So I sold it. (Heavy sigh.)It was a tough decision, but I knew that having become accustomed to the lightness of urushi, I wouldn't use the Mann. Also, I used the proceeds to pay for a Nakaya. So... win-win.Still and all, this is a very beautiful Montblanc.

... no, no, no, you will not tempt me to go onto the Nakaya website and torture myself, by filling up their well thought out form and using all my will to stop me from clicking the order button because I cannot decide on which one of those fantastic urushi colors to choose from... na ah.... ( :) thanks!)

Edited by Sidestreaker

My link

So the million dollar question. Mann or Twain?

having one will just miss out the other....

Gorgeous photos of a very handsome pen!I couldn't read the review (only skimmed it), because I had a Thomas Mann. And it was just as handsome and wonderful as yours.However, I acquired it at about the same time I became a diehard Nakaya fangirl, and I realized, switching between the Nakayas and the Mann, that the Mann was too heavy for my hand. So I sold it. (Heavy sigh.)It was a tough decision, but I knew that having become accustomed to the lightness of urushi, I wouldn't use the Mann. Also, I used the proceeds to pay for a Nakaya. So... win-win.Still and all, this is a very beautiful Montblanc.

... no, no, no, you will not tempt me to go onto the Nakaya website and torture myself, by filling up their well thought out form and using all my will to stop me from clicking the order button because I cannot decide on which one of those fantastic urushi colors to choose from... na ah.... ( :) thanks!)

Well, I think you are very lucky that the Mann is a comfortable pen for you. It is a beauty. I couldn't finish reading your review, because I didn't want to feel twinges of regret. (No. I remember... it really was too heavy. In fact, recently, I inked up my Waterman Le Man 100 and 200, and the 100 is now too heavy in my hand; the 200 is still comfortable (whew!).) Now I'm thinking about the Mann's nib... it was fabulous! Must, stop, these thoughts....

As for the Nakaya urushi colors -- that's why I have more than one Nakaya. Yeah, they really got me.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Well, I think you are very lucky that the Mann is a comfortable pen for you. It is a beauty. I couldn't finish reading your review, because I didn't want to feel twinges of regret. (No. I remember... it really was too heavy. In fact, recently, I inked up my Waterman Le Man 100 and 200, and the 100 is now too heavy in my hand; the 200 is still comfortable (whew!).) Now I'm thinking about the Mann's nib... it was fabulous! Must, stop, these thoughts....

As for the Nakaya urushi colors -- that's why I have more than one Nakaya. Yeah, they really got me.

I do have both heavier pens like the Mann or other similar types, and the lighter resin ones. I must say that I'm relatively new on FP and my preference have yet to mature and incline to a certain type of pen. I guess only time will tell, in the meantime, I'm enjoying all of them :)

On a separate note, I always had the impression that Nakaya will fall under the category of a heavier pens. Almost all lacquer pen that I've came across seems to be relatively heavier than resin. One day, I hope to place my order on those beautiful Urushi pens, to experience them myself, a road which I'm almost certain will take me on another steep path of pen acquisition.

Cheers.

My link