Twsbi 540 First Impressions

Altairx

How does one tell the size (F, M, B ) of the nib on the 540? It's doesn't seem to be stamped on the nib. I ordered mine M but it writes like an EF.

Thanks, Kin

--

Never mind, just found out that I made a mistake in the original order. Looks like I will have to buy a replacement nib :-(

Edited by flkin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USMCMom

• WrenKing

• RookSeven

• Altairx

It took me a while to find the nib marking. I ordered a broad and when I got I was convinced I'd got a medium (I write with a Lamy 2000 broad normally). If you are looking down at the nib you should see the TWSBI logo stamp just in front of the collar - now if you look carefully just before the letter T you should find a small letter engraved on the nib indicating the nib size. I've had my 540 for two weeks now and it's been wonderful. Great ink capacity and a surprisingly smooth and flexible nib. A great pen.

Edited by ahar61

Bock is a nib manufacturer.

Is it a reputable manufacturer in steel nib. My EF nib is not as smooth as I thought it would be :(

I've got a 540 F and I love it. Once I tweaked the nib a bit to increase flow, awesome pen. For $50, the smoothness can't be beat! HUGE ink capacity. And it looks good, to boot!

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

Is it a reputable manufacturer in steel nib. My EF nib is not as smooth as I thought it would be :(

The only pens they manufacture with Bock nibs are the Broad nibs. The rest are still Schmidt, I believe. They are waiting for the Schmidt inventory to deplete before they aswitch over all the nibs to Bock.

Current Rotation:

Pilot Vanishing Point Gun Metal Fine

Stipula Passaporto Medium

Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi Medium

The only TWSBI nibs currently coming from Bock are B, your EF would have come from Schmidt and was probably manufactured by JoWo.

A larger number of prestigious and expensive pen brands (i.e. Montegrappa, OMAS and Visconti) buy their nibs from Bock. Bock are probably the best reputed nib manufacturer willing to supply pen nibs to pen makers - while many would argue Montblanc or S.T. Dupont nibs are better, those companies won't supply nibs to their competitors. The other well known nib suppliers are JoWo (so far as I know, they only make steel nibs) and Schmidt who make feeds, converters, etc. but according to others on this forum actually buy their nibs from JoWo and Bock.

Here is my first impression of the TWSBI 540... I had an accident with the plunger, I unscrewed the cap when it was posted and ink came out! oops!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1758904872235&set=a.1758904672230.70201.1827424180&type=1

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1758905152242&set=a.1758904672230.70201.1827424180&type=1

Favorite Pen: TWSBI 540 (F) is my "Special Pen" Lamy Vista (F) is my take around pen.

Favorite Ink(s): Baystate Blue, J.Herbin 1670 --- Current Ink: Noodler's: Baystate Blue, TWSBI 540 (F), Private Reserve; Sherwood Green, Lamy Vista (F)

Favorite Paper: Rhodia Dot Pad A5

I received my 540 yesterday from The Goulet Pen Company; they seem like very nice folk and run a very good business. Anyway, I am a bit of a pen snob and rarely purchase fountain pens that sell for less than $300. Because of the great review, pictures and comments I did purchase a 540. The pen is a great value and I really like the way it writes. I would highly recommend the 540 to others.

Indeed, I looked at this new solid clip as a big improvement also if used with a shirt or inside jacket pocket--eliminates chance of catching a thread. Bravo! The threads are also much nicer even when used on my 530.

In fact, Speedy, I wonder if you would consider selling some of these new caps as a separate item to use on 530's?

That's a good idea!! I'd like to be able to do that.

I'd be interested in this too.

I just received my 540 F today. I cannot really comment too much on this as I just got this. But, my first take on this pen is very positive and favorable. Looks and feels very well built and the nib is smooth with Iroshizuku Tsukiyo.

By the way, is it really necessary to disassemble the TWSBI for maintenance? I would rather flush it periodically without greasing up with the silicone grease.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

It looks really nice, I think the increased ink capacity is nice. How much smoother is the 540 nib over the previous generation's 530 nib?

http://i.imgur.com/EZMTw.gif "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" -Aldous Huxley

Parker 45 F, Lamy Safari EF, Lamy 2000 F, TWSBI Diamond 530 F, Reform 1745 F, Hero 616 F, Pilot Varsity F, Pilot 78g F,

Just received my 540-M...wow! So much more than any photograph can convey. I inked it with Noodlers Luxury Blue and it writes like a dream. A little heavier than what I'm used to but it feels very natural in the hand.

With my other pens - Shaeffer 330, Waterman Phileas's, Kaweco Sport, Lamy Safari - I write with the cap "posted" but the 540 feels so much more balanced unposted ( + the chances of "accidently" twisting the piston when removing the cap are decreased) - anyone else feel this way?

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the review. Got one through Ebay. Quick service. Got a fine point. Looking forward to getting an italic, or maybe gonna see if Pendleton Brown will grind me up a nice smooth nib for this pen. Nice cursive italic....

Is

The only pens they manufacture with Bock nibs are the Broad nibs. The rest are still Schmidt, I believe. They are waiting for the Schmidt inventory to deplete before they aswitch over all the nibs to Bock.

Is it true? It's a very good news! I far prefer the Bock nibs over the Schmidt.

• 3 months later...

Got my 540-F today.

Deceived by its small size - don´t know exactly why, by the photos or something else, got in my mind it would be a big pen. Not suited to be posted, cap's too heavy and fits too much outside of the pen rear end.

Filled it with Private Reserve Electric DC Blue, and it feels like a wet writter.

Enjoyed the material, the touch and apparent toughness. Still getting used to it, of course.

WWW.nelsonsousaphoto.com