The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Twsbi 540 First Impressions

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Altairx

Altairx

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2011 - 23:01

Got my 540 today B) ( I think I'm the first in all USA) I hope you guys like the pictures I took, I would of done a little better but I do have to get some work done and I wanted you guys to check it out.

First impressions is that it's very well built just like the 530, There are some notable changes, first thing you notice is that the pen holds more ink, second thing is that the cap screws very smooth its a world of difference when you compare it to the 530, third is that the cap is heavier. I weighed the cap to make sure and its was 2 grams heavier than the 530 counterpart.

Both pens filled with ink weigh 14 grams, I did not weigh them empty I forgot. :headsmack:
the 540 cap weights 16 grams and the 530 is 14 grams.

I think they must of used the new butter steel to make the nib on the 540, 'cuz it's Smoove....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Content

#2 Snarf

Snarf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 23:54

So nice....can't wait to get mine. Probably Monday since I live in NY.

#3 speedy

speedy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 00:06

The cap weight on 540 is heaver, it is because 540 clip is made by solid brass form pressed, 530 was made by stamping steel. Reason for changing was because 530 clip back end was a long stamping parts then bend over to cover the back side (looks better). but due to this design, in chrome plating it is difficult to guarantee after many many years later inside the clip won't start get rusting.. (because the plating was difficult to get in to make protection...), so we changed to solid formed brass clip.
higher cost, but I can sleep better.
Posted Image
For latest update pls join our facebook facebook badge

If any product related issue, pls send email to twsbiinc@gmail.com

#4 Surnia

Surnia

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:40

The cap weight on 540 is heaver, it is because 540 clip is made by solid brass form pressed, 530 was made by stamping steel. Reason for changing was because 530 clip back end was a long stamping parts then bend over to cover the back side (looks better). but due to this design, in chrome plating it is difficult to guarantee after many many years later inside the clip won't start get rusting.. (because the plating was difficult to get in to make protection...), so we changed to solid formed brass clip.
higher cost, but I can sleep better.
Posted Image

I was soaking my 530 due to a fungal infection a couple months ago, and I saw the rust come out! My only saving thought about it was the rust probably helped kill the infection a bit, but the insides of the clip are probably rusty right now... Point of curiosity, is it possible to order just a cap from you guys Speedy?
Posted Image Member since Sept 7, 2010
TWSBI Diamond 530 - Private Reserve Avocado
Black Kaweco Sport M Nib - Diamine Oxblood
Wing Sung #233 - Noodler's Lexington Gray

#5 Woliaj

Woliaj

Saving up...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:04

are the nib grades any thinner, particularly for ef and f nibs??
If only money didn't exist, and pens grew on trees...

#6 sunfun

sunfun

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 20:55

Thanks for review .Look real good

#7 vickiehof

vickiehof

Counting My Blessings

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 21:01

I got mine today. This is my first TWSBI. It is very nice.

When the mailman came, I had to drop everything to play with my new pen.

At first, I didn't see the wrench and silicon, but then I read the directions and found them in the special place in the box. Even the box is very nice and worthy to be saved.

I'm going to a meeting tonight so I hope I have to take lots of notes.

:bunny01: Happy bunny dance.

#8 USMCMom

USMCMom

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 21:18

I have filled my new 540 (fine nib) with Callifolio Inca Sol (an earthy rust color). I already love this new pen as much as I do my 530s and I have several of those. The weight of the 540 for me, is great. The nib is smooth and to my eye, very fine. I didn't see the need for pictures, as we all know what the 540 looks like. All in all ... just a great pen and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in colors, also anxiously watching for the ROC100 and the Micarta.

Once again, well done, Speedy!!!

#9 japanwatch

japanwatch

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2011 - 21:19

Beautiful pen. I'll have to order one also :) . That holds a lot of ink.

#10 Treecat

Treecat

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 23:51

Altairx, those are very good photos. Thanks for posting. I like the way the Twsbi is packaged. It fits the no-nonsense style of the pen. Including the wrench and silicone is a nice touch for do-it-yerselfers. :)

I have filled my new 540 (fine nib) with Callifolio Inca Sol (an earthy rust color). I already love this new pen as much as I do my 530s and I have several of those. The weight of the 540 for me, is great. The nib is smooth and to my eye, very fine. I didn't see the need for pictures, as we all know what the 540 looks like. All in all ... just a great pen and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in colors, also anxiously watching for the ROC100 and the Micarta.

I've never heard of Callifolio ink before. I'll have to look for some information and scans. The Inca Sol sounds like a color I'd like. Glad to know the pen is writing well.

Still waiting for mine while I scribble away with a very nice Sheaffer Imperial I got from Teri awhile back. Pens are .. somehow.. like potato chips.... :ninja:

#11 USMCMom

USMCMom

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 00:00

Altairx, those are very good photos. Thanks for posting. I like the way the Twsbi is packaged. It fits the no-nonsense style of the pen. Including the wrench and silicone is a nice touch for do-it-yerselfers. :)

I've never heard of Callifolio ink before. I'll have to look for some information and scans. The Inca Sol sounds like a color I'd like. Glad to know the pen is writing well.

Still waiting for mine while I scribble away with a very nice Sheaffer Imperial I got from Teri awhile back. Pens are .. somehow.. like potato chips.... :ninja:

Here's the site. The Inca Sol is down at the bottom.

http://encres.styloplume.net/index.php

I can't speak nor read French, but they sure have some beautiful colors!

#12 RookSeven

RookSeven

Big Money! Big Prizes! I Love It!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 00:40

Is there no place in North America to buy this ink? :drool:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Snarf

Snarf

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 00:42

I feel like I should chime in on the 540 impressions. I did not previously own the 530, so I'm basing it off what I have right now. It's a great looking pen, feels sturdy, and the nib in F writes smoothly.

It's smooth in every direction I write in, with a touch of feedback, letting you know that you're still writing (which I like). The weight feels just right without the cap. When I have it posted it's too long and too heavy for my taste.

As for the ink reserve, I am pleasantly surprised. I think it's the only pen I have that has this massive piston full of ink. I put noodler's blue-black ink in it and it flows just great. It's my first demonstrator pen so I'm now thinking I should get some other more vibrant color so that it looks cooler and I'll also have myself a new bottle of ink :D.

The piston filling system twists very smoothly. Overall, for the price and quality, it was worth it.

#14 USMCMom

USMCMom

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 00:42

Is there no place in North America to buy this ink? :drool:

No, no where else.

#15 dstrdvnt

dstrdvnt

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:05

My 540 arrived today. Haven't inked it up yet though. The cap is much smoother than my 530. Can't wait to see the ink bottle and the vac fill. Nice pen at a reasonable price. Nice job Speedy...again.
Posted Image

#16 saintsimon

saintsimon

Si tacuisses ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:20

...Is there no place in North America to buy this ink? :drool:

You can try to order them from the original manufacturer's online shop:

http://www.artisanpa...php?cPath=23_35

If you order them in the pouches instead of the glass bottles, a trans-Atlantic shipment might offer a better ink per shipping cost ratio.

Edited by saintsimon, 13 August 2011 - 01:20.

#17 USMCMom

USMCMom

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:23

If you order them in the pouches instead of the glass bottles, a trans-Atlantic shipment might offer a better ink per shipping cost ratio.

Mine came in pouches.

#18 RookSeven

RookSeven

Big Money! Big Prizes! I Love It!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:35

Jesus, shipping cost on five of the inks in aluminum pouches costs almost twice as much as the inks themselves! :yikes:

Someone should talk to the Goulets about these inks to see if they'd be interested in carrying them, so we North Americans can have some cheaper shipping options. :P

And to stay on topic: still waiting for my 540. I think it'll take a while to get to me though, seeing as I'm practically on the other end of the continent (Toronto, Canada).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Altairx

Altairx

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 18:15

I've tried to order some items from France and shipping charges are very high.

#20 bugmd

bugmd

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2011 - 22:32

My medium nib one came Thursday and I am impressed. This is my first Twsbi and it has to be the best bang for the bucks out there. I am simply amazed at the detail that Speedy and friends have given this inexpensive fountain pen. Certainly will be on the "Highly Recommended" list and right up there for any pen less than $100, hell less than $200. I simply am enjoying this one immensely.
A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Sponsored Content

|