• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• SnowLeopard

• TDL

• kwk1

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pelikan Blue O' Blue is one of the most beautiful pens out there. I just love the marbled effect on the body, its very attractive and rich.

Great review and thanks for showing the pen.

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

The Blue O'Blue is a great pen to use. Of course it also does no harm that it is in the colour of my football team, namely Chelsea.

The Answer to Life, The Universe and Everything? 42 or Good fountain pens and Ink?

Modern Pels need to be "written in". Only then will the true nature of it's nib be revealed. Write away. My M800 IB, which is almost a true cursive, no mod's, gets better with every fill. With MB BRG, the shading is quite dramatic. I've used it with all the Iro inks, + Toffee, Irish,and Violet...they looked great on Claire.FGI... the same nib designation can be very different in like pens.

My experience mirrors yours, SnowLeopard. My BOB with the IB nib has improved dramatically with use. The line differentiation has increased, and the skipping has totally disappeared.

Is this "writing in" process unique to Pelikans, or is it generalizable, for example to Conway Stewart pens?

David

I don't think it's unique to the modern line of birds. Of course vintage pens have been given their break ins over different time periods. My older Pel issues,esp. the 400 series with 14K nibs, are really something. That's how Pelikan built their rep and branded their line. So vintages apart, most fine moderns, from all co.'s, need that break in period to reach their potentials. I have more than 5C in number, from many manufacturers, and use them all. I rotate in a different pen almost daily. I'm also of the opinion that piston fillers weren't meant to be flushed as often as we do today. These great issues, when first created, back decades ago , only had a limited no. of inky options. The use of the same ink was almost the norm. With all of our options now, big piston items are a "pita" to flush. So too r the snorkels and the older filling systems. So, cart/convert's were born. Your can flush, refill and write in a shorter cycle time. Which shortens the break in time. So ink them up and use them often. They also adapt to your "hand", writing style, too. That's the beauty of buying new. The instrument becomes personal.

Edited by SnowLeopard

The last weekend I tested the IB nib and I have been disappointed.

Without pressure there is almost no line variation.

To achieve the shown writing example a lot of flex is necessary.

But the BoB is very.

Edited by SHK

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

3. For what it's worth, I do see a fair bit of line variation in the writing sample that you posted.

I hafta say that's a pretty accurate 2 cents.

Looks to me like the wide stroke is at least 3X wider than the narrow stroke. I don't know how one could ask for more variation.

nulla dies sine linea

At the San Francisco Pen Show last month, Michael Masuyama did his magic on the IB nib that came with my Blue 'O Blue. It is now my very favorite broad italic nib. It writes smoothly but now has much increased line variation. I used it this morning to write cards for Hanukkah presents for our grandchildren.

Here is a sample text written after Michael customized it:

Pelikan-IB-nib-grnd-by-MM-web_1918.jpg

David

Edited by dms525

• 1 month later...

At the San Francisco Pen Show last month, Michael Masuyama did his magic on the IB nib that came with my Blue 'O Blue. It is now my very favorite broad italic nib. It writes smoothly but now has much increased line variation. I used it this morning to write cards for Hanukkah presents for our grandchildren.

Here is a sample text written after Michael customized it:

Pelikan-IB-nib-grnd-by-MM-web_1918.jpg

David

That looks really good.

I'm new to fp's and to this site.

Is the italic nib only available in the m800?

I ask because they want an extra $250 to put it in an m805.

I have seen M200's offered with italic nibs.

I think charging an extra $250 for an M800 italic nib is a rip off!

David

I have seen M200's offered with italic nibs.

I think charging an extra $250 for an M800 italic nib is a rip off!

David

Yes, total rip off.

My other option is a m805 with 3B nib ground to cursive italic.

This would only be an extra $55 for the grinding. The only difference would be the italic nib is 1.5 mm and the 3B is 1.3 mm wide.

I;m not sure how much difference that .2 mm would make.