• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USMCMom

• dsatco

• Lloyd

• KrazyIvan

Exactly. We approached TWSBI last year about carrying the 530's, but the pricing structure was not set up for a retailer. We would have had to mark it up $20 over what they were selling it for on eBay, and we just couldn't stomach doing it. The 540 pricing structure is different to allow us to finally carry them, and I think you'll see them at many other retailers too. Plus then you can combine shipping with other pens/inks/paper/etc for even more savings! :thumbup:

Will you guys also be carrying the separate nibs as well?

And for Speedy...is this - TWSBI Diamond 530/540 Nib Set B - the Bock version of the B nib that you get when you purchase the 540? As I love my 530, I am really interested in trying out that B Bock nib...

Hot mustard was never meant for steak.

All the TWSBI hating really is quite tiresome.

Whether $39.99 or $50 the pen is an excellent value for the money. I urge any of you to name a modern piston filler that costs $50 and delivers even half of what the TWSBI has to offer.

As for us being the QC, obviously most of us are not complaining. Personally, I don't mind it at all. My 530 has worked perfectly since the 1.5 piston replacement (which was replaced free of charge). The tight threads have never been an issue for me. My section did not crack or leak or anything else.

As for it looking cheap? To each his/her own. I wonder how you expect a $50 pen to look? Should it be solid gold? should it be made of some space age indestructible material? I mean seriously, we are talking about an inexpensive pen here. Did you really expect it to be made of something other than plastic? What's more, the pen hasn't even attempted to break in all these months of consistent use.

Some always find something to complain about. :rolleyes:

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

I had a though. dsatco, Why don't YOU develop a piston filled fountain pen at say a $40 price point, market it and sell it, then we all can complain about it!

I'm working on this in my basement as I write this. I'm looking for inputs and suggestions. I'm going

to call it the SVRAH.

Let's build this pen together.

Indeed, Dizzypen. I'm quite eager to test the B nib too.

<sarcasm>

And like you, I CAN'T believe the 540 Diamond is NOT REAL DIAMOND for that price. THEY ARE LYING TO US !1!!!eleven

</sarcasm>

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

Original 530 price in the USA: $40 + $8 shipping = $48

540 price in the USA: $50 + $3.39 shipping = $53.39

11.2% price increase.

So 11.2% price increase.... how much as the USD lost in value in that same time period?:hmm1::blink:

I'm guessing the "Real" price increase is a bit lower.

Edit.... a quick google search revealed the USD dropped 6.35% in value in the past 12 months... So... 11.2% increase over a loss in value of 6.35% ... To me, that is a price increase commensurate with the new model. To each his/her own. I'm not an economist/MBA or anything so please take my input with several large grains of sand.

Edited by OiRogers

Whether $39.99 or $50 the pen is an excellent value for the money. I urge any of you to name a modern piston filler that costs $50 and delivers even half of what the TWSBI has to offer.

As for us being the QC, obviously most of us are not complaining. Personally, I don't mind it at all. My 530 has worked perfectly since the 1.5 piston replacement (which was replaced free of charge). The tight threads have never been an issue for me. My section did not crack or leak or anything else.

As for it looking cheap? To each his/her own. I wonder how you expect a $50 pen to look? Should it be solid gold? should it be made of some space age indestructible material? I mean seriously, we are talking about an inexpensive pen here. Did you really expect it to be made of something other than plastic? What's more, the pen hasn't even attempted to break in all these months of consistent use.

Dizzy,

Of all the months and months of reading your blog and comments, I have to say that this was the most fired-up that I've ever seen you. :-)

Not that I disagree with anything you said, I have to smile to see you do have a breaking point. Go get 'em!

Take care,

Tim Verpoorten (Surfbits)

http://www.surfbits.com : Blog

http://www.macreviewcast.com : Podcast

How much as the USD lost in value in that same time period?

July 1st, 2010, the US Dollar was worth ~32.27 Taiwan dollars.

Today, the US Dollar is worth ~28.87 Taiwan dollars.

10.54% depreciation in the US dollar relative to the Taiwan dollar.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

How much as the USD lost in value in that same time period?

July 1st, 2010, the US Dollar was worth ~32.27 Taiwan dollars.

Today, the US Dollar is worth ~28.87 Taiwan dollars.

10.54% depreciation in the US dollar relative to the Taiwan dollar.

Hadn't thought to compare to the Taiwan Dollar... So, the cost is virtually a wash then. Thanks Lloyd.

i agree. 50 bucks is still an amazing deal for this pen. and if people haven't noticed, almost everything nowadays has increased in price.

Dizzy,

Of all the months and months of reading your blog and comments, I have to say that this was the most fired-up that I've ever seen you. :-)

Not that I disagree with anything you said, I have to smile to see you do have a breaking point. Go get 'em!

LOL. Um thanks... I think. :unsure:

I'm a very moderate/middle of the road person by nature. Sometimes though...

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

I always have to remind myself that FPN is a place where I have to tread carefully when I feel strongly about something. I realize that the tolerance level for voicing strong opinions in a strong manner is lower here than most forums I converse on, so I offer only the following thoughts:

• Yeah, we've got someone here with a grudge and an attitude. I doubt he'll ever be officially sanctioned, so all you can do is point it out to others who haven't experienced the original lunacies and just move forward
  • All one need do is read a few TWSBI threads to see that it is, on the whole, a very well liked pen with a strong and loyal following. Those large number of positive posts would convince most any reader
  • Lastly, not everyone will jump on the 540. My 530 works and looks great, as it has from Day One. I just don't need a second one at the moment, and maybe I'll get one down the road. That doesn't mean I'm not excited about the new pen, just that I don't have a burning desire for two nearly identical pens, even if it holds more ink. (I can go for a couple weeks between fills, so I'm perfectly happy with how much the 530 holds)

I guess that's it. Let's all celebrate a small company doing well, pleasing it's customers, and moving forward in the evolution of their product line!

Edited by JonSzanto

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

So...all that's different is the ink capacity? And that warrants almost a 30% increase in price over the 530?

And everybody's excited about this? Man, I've GOT to start making crumby pens.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Problem solved.:D Me, I'm waiting for the smaller version.

I have more than one TWSBI 530s, they're often in my rotation and I enjoy each one of them. I purchased a 540 today and when the 540 is offered in color(s), I will purchase again.

Ditto. I am probably not re-buying anything other than the clear (I have red, blue, orange, and green as well in 530), but I'm hoping to get a cyan 540 if offered, hope that we'll see a relatively dark grey 540, and want to pick up some of the 550s.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I have more than one TWSBI 530s, they're often in my rotation and I enjoy each one of them. I purchased a 540 today and when the 540 is offered in color(s), I will purchase again.

Ditto. I am probably not re-buying anything other than the clear (I have red, blue, orange, and green as well in 530), but I'm hoping to get a cyan 540 if offered, hope that we'll see a relatively dark grey 540, and want to pick up some of the 550s.

Ooooo ... you have a blue 530!! I missed out on the blue one.

The blue was pretty! There's always hope there will be a blue in the 540. I could be tempted. :)

That's the one I missed too! Well, that and the clear.

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Ask me about my purple pen addiction.

Original 530 price in the USA: $40 + $8 shipping = $48

540 price in the USA: $50 + $3.39 shipping = $53.39

11.2% price increase.

No...it's almost 30 percent. Here's a little video that explains the math:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4980171_calculate-markup.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask

Uh, no?

We're talking about the difference in price, not the mark up. The mark up has probably gone down, given they're doing wholesale at the moment.