• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USMCMom

• dsatco

• Lloyd

• KrazyIvan

What exactly is the TWSBI 540? How does it differ from the 530?

From the ebay listing:

Diamond 540 is the advanced version of Diamond 530 (reddot design award 2010), Piston Filling System Fountain Pen.

* 540 has increased ink capacity, about 30% more than 530

* 540 has improved the smoothness of cap thread turning

* 540 shows you our promise on continuous product improvement on small details

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Ask me about my purple pen addiction.

Actually, I did a Google search of the entire net and a Google site-specific search of FPN.

There seems to be no appreciable difference. That's why I posed this query to discover

whether there were some nuances that I was unaware of.

Edited by dsatco

I'm hoping that the larger ink capacity will be enough to hold a full Goulet-sized ink sample.

For your first pen, you should buy a Pelikan m200 or a TWSBI 540.

For vintage, get a Parker Vacumatic or a 51.

Once you go Vac, you never go back.

Yes, I've been drinking.

So...all that's different is the ink capacity? And that warrants almost a 30% increase in price over the 530?

And everybody's excited about this? Man, I've GOT to start making crumby pens.

Edited by dsatco

Everybody is excited because these are great pens at a great price. Since you were threadcrapping in another thread about doing TWSBI's QC for them, I'd think the improvement in design would be well worth the increase in price.

The increase in price is almost entirely to allow for a retailer profit margin to grow the brand and raise its profile as I understand it. This is an outstanding pen for $50, and I have gladly bought one.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Everybody is excited because these are great pens at a great price. Since you were threadcrapping in another thread about doing TWSBI's QC for them, I'd think the improvement in design would be well worth the increase in price.

The increase in price is almost entirely to allow for a retailer profit margin to grow the brand and raise its profile as I understand it. This is an outstanding pen for $50, and I have gladly bought one.

+1

Kristi

My photos on Flickr

Ask me about my purple pen addiction.

I haven't experienced any problems with my 530 and I already ordered a 540... they are an amazing amount of pen for the money...

http://katexic.com/clippings/

Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

Even though I complained about the way the cap threaded onto my 530, I still ordered a 540 as soon as I saw that they were available... Go Figure.

+2

I don't own a TWSBI pen yet, but I'm thinking of ordering one of those 540, when the first models have been sold and there is some positive feedback from happy customers.

My main concern would be to know what nib size I would like (if you read me, happy customers with different nib sizes, please consider posting writing samples, tia :) )

Dsatco, I don't know if you realize, but the current year is 2011. Which means that $50, or around €35, is far from being a fortune.

A Lamy Safari costs around 20€, and it's just some plastic with a steel nib, a Pelikan "lower-end" piston-filler is around 100€ (and it's just some plastic with a steel nib), so TWSBI's pricing is very reasonable, provided it is a compromise between those two.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

I have more than one TWSBI 530s, they're often in my rotation and I enjoy each one of them. I purchased a 540 today and when the 540 is offered in color(s), I will purchase again. I don't know where you're located dsatco, but the price tag of $50 and shipping of $3.39 (US) is a fair price for what you're getting. You not only receive a great pen, but you also have a great company standing behind their product, one who listens to their customers, involves their customers in every phase of design, keeps customers up-to-date each step during design and on top of all that, they keep promises made. How often is that found in today's commercial world? Not too often.

Edited by USMCMom

Dsatco...I'm almost tempted to suggest that you are stopped from posting about TWSBIs. Seriously. You bash on TWSBIs more than I've seen any person complain about Noodler's Ink, and even topics about THAT are banned. I do understand your concerns- I've only read them in every single TWSBI related topic, at least twice, but it's not like anyone has tried the 540 yet.

Yes, you should be allowed to voice your opinions, but it seems to me that you go out of your way to complain about these pens. I think that you've made your point already, and bringing it up every week will not make any more of a statement than you already have. :mellow:

I think that you've made your point already, and bringing it up every week will not make any more of a statement than you already have. :mellow:

Well said, I totally agree!

I think that you've made your point already, and bringing it up every week will not make any more of a statement than you already have. :mellow:

Well said, I totally agree!

+1

[color="#483D8B"][i][font="Book Antiqua"]Libera me, Domine, de morte aeterna, in die illa tremenda. [/color][/font][/I]

Dsatco, if you don't like them no-one's forcing you to buy one.

I'm sure I read somewhere that part of the price increase was due to improved, stronger plastic for the barrel. TBH, a price increase of £6 is nothing considering how good these pens are, and TWSBI's level of service. If TWSBI get to make a profit and grow as a company I'm happy to support them.

Edited by chris.hale