The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Waterman No. 7 Pink Nib

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scrawler

Scrawler

The pen is an extension of my mind

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2011 - 23:54

I was browsing ebay and came across this item 300585873421

http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What is so special and why so much?

Sponsored Content

#2 GClef

GClef

The Manny™

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2011 - 00:04

I was browsing ebay and came across this item 300585873421

http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

What is so special and why so much?

It's a rare nib and these people bidding on it want it really bad?
So, they can flip it and get more for it, because they know it's rare?

#3 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 00:07

oh! get to share video Posted Image

and while not the pink nib..
http://www.youtube.c...u/0/qwJi_G8Cwyg
my favorite : )

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#4 Scrawler

Scrawler

• Member - Gold

• 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2011 - 00:21

I have one on a pen. It is in at least as nice condition as that. I like to write with it. I did not know it was worth that much. Maybe I should stop writing with it. Or perhaps solicit offers.

#5 Procyon

Procyon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:49

I was watching this one on eBay, and hoping to bid on it. But the price is already way over what I would have paid.

I suspect that the idea many people have is to take an existing Waterman #7 Ripple, perhaps with the incorrect nib (which many of them have) and replace that nib with the pink one. Since you can also get replacement pink bands for the cap, to all appearances, you can create a Waterman #7 Ripple with Pink nib, from, say, a purple cap with a replacement Accountant nib. A Pink #7 will sell for about $300-$400 dollars more than a Purple.

Honest? Maybe not, but basically the parts are all original to the time and the series of pens, except for the plastic colored band on the cap. And a lot of people do use the replacement cap bands, because the original ones discolored and cracked so badly.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

#6 Mattishme

Mattishme

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:04

I definitely think that is part of it, but people are bidding at a crazy level on anything with a pink nib. There was a recent sale on ebay of an inkvue which was sort of unreal given general condition of the pen. Maybe that is just where the prices are going.

What is particularly annoying is that some people are collecting pens with that nib, or the nib presumably, and not writing with it. All in all, it makes me sad I traded a pink number 5 I had in for a really cool Canadian vac.

#7 Scrawler

Scrawler

• Member - Gold

• 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:57

I definitely think that is part of it, but people are bidding at a crazy level on anything with a pink nib. There was a recent sale on ebay of an inkvue which was sort of unreal given general condition of the pen. Maybe that is just where the prices are going.

What is particularly annoying is that some people are collecting pens with that nib, or the nib presumably, and not writing with it. All in all, it makes me sad I traded a pink number 5 I had in for a really cool Canadian vac.

I use my No. 7 Pink to write to my mother. I did not know it was that special. When it was resac'd for me at our pen club meeting no one said anything.

#8 Procyon

Procyon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:02

I use my No. 7 Pink to write to my mother. I did not know it was that special. When it was resac'd for me at our pen club meeting no one said anything.

As far as I can see, that is probably the best use anyone could ever make of it. I wish my Mom was still around so I could write to her with my Pink #7 Ripple.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

#9 Mattishme

Mattishme

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:27

That is absolutely what it should be used for, or to practice calligraphy, or to do anything that puts that nib to a page. I even get why pen collectors want one. They are increasingly rare and they do look really cool. What bugs me about the current market for these nibs, and this can certainly be personal to me, is that I think that pens should be used -- at least some of the time. Pens get a little sad if they aren't used. :crybaby: If nothing else you should give your vintage pens hugs . . . even inanimate objects like hugs.

I am okay if I am the odd man out on this and I apologize for the rant.

#10 Scrawler

Scrawler

• Member - Gold

• 4,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:09

That is absolutely what it should be used for, or to practice calligraphy, or to do anything that puts that nib to a page. I even get why pen collectors want one. They are increasingly rare and they do look really cool. What bugs me about the current market for these nibs, and this can certainly be personal to me, is that I think that pens should be used -- at least some of the time. Pens get a little sad if they aren't used. :crybaby: If nothing else you should give your vintage pens hugs . . . even inanimate objects like hugs.

I am okay if I am the odd man out on this and I apologize for the rant.

I agree. Pens were designed and made to be written with. I use all my pens. I would like to get a proper cap for my Waterman No. 7, but even with the wrong cap it is a perfectly serviceable pen. My mum never came into the computer age, and so casual email is not an option. My daughter writes to her with a 1940 Burgundy Vacumatic. It is funny, we have casual high speed internet communications, but I do not get casual messages from those of my family who did become computer literate. It is a bit unfortunate that my daughter cannot use my flex pens, because she is left handed and needs something a bit stiffer. My mum loves getting mail and shows our letters off to everyone when she gets them.

Sponsored Content

|