Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• Sagar_C

• Sinistral1

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 months later...

At last I think I have the solution...may need to observe for a few more days though.....

It seems that "threaded" waterman converter doesn't fit my gentleman well causing leaking but an UN-threaded one works better!

Yes, the Gentleman preceded threaded converters.

My Website

At last I think I have the solution...may need to observe for a few more days though.....

It seems that "threaded" waterman converter doesn't fit my gentleman well causing leaking but an UN-threaded one works better!

:hmm1: The short form A5 catalogue for that era, showing the Gentleman range, also shows the accessories which includes the 'threaded' converter which while it looks like a thread is in fact only finely grooved. If shown I would assume them to fit all the FP's shown.

fpn_1329243806__dsc_2276.jpg

fpn_1329244338__dscn0781.jpg

Edited by Force

:hmm1: The short form A5 catalogue for that era, showing the Gentleman range, also shows the accessories which includes the 'threaded' converter which while it looks like a thread is in fact only finely grooved. If shown I would assume them to fit all the FP's shown.

Yup, I have some of those converters and they are just grooved, not threaded.

My Website

Yup, I have some of those converters and they are just grooved, not threaded.

Well, well...So it seems that there are actually THREE types of waterman converter: (1) Threaded (2) Un-threaded (3) Grooved?!

Edited by Sagar_C

:hmm1: Yes, it would appear so.

I have just found one. It's an older clear plastic piston model and yes it IS a thread.

The OD of thread and grooves are identical as is the rubber seal portion.

So maybe the thread did not provide a perfect seal which it would not being a spiral groove.

The left one has a threaded sleeve.

fpn_1329333364__dscn9712.jpg

Edited by Force

Glad you've found it already...With my expertise with camera I was having hell of a time to get those transparent threads photographed. Attached a very bad picture....Sorry!!!

Um...I hate to say this but that's a standard converter with the steel threaded or grooved sleeve removed. I have removed one before and recognise the view. So you are using an incomplete converter. Maybe the sleeve is still inside the pen. Can you screw it back in and then give a straight pull out.

Edited by Force

Maybe the sleeve is still inside the pen. Can you screw it back in and then give a straight pull out.

Bull's eye! The sleeve was inside! So have I learnt following two points?

1) There is NO "threaded" waterman converter.

2) My gentleman was leaking because the metal sleeve was missing from the converter. Metal grooved sleeve was in another pen form where I borrowed the converter.

Puzzle solved, I guess!

Bull's eye! The sleeve was inside! So have I learnt following two points?

1) There is NO "threaded" waterman converter.

2) My gentleman was leaking because the metal sleeve was missing from the converter. Metal grooved sleeve was in another pen form where I borrowed the converter.

Puzzle solved, I guess!

Yes and no...I now believe there is an externally 'threaded' steel sleeve as well as the grooved model.

fpn_1329415221__dscn0782.jpg

fpn_1329415356__dscn0799.jpg

The spiral and radial grooves are in Buttress form.

Edited by Force

Do spiral grooves act as threads in any pen? Or they, in practice, have no difference when compared to circular (non-spiral) grooved ones?

I am not aware of any 'modern' Waterman with a threaded section. From an emgineering point of view I suspect it was purely a means of providing a 'gripy' surface. The only problem being that it could also provide a source of air if the mating surface inside the section were not soft enough to allow full depth of spiral sinking.

• 1 year later...

I need help!

I just got a converter I was told would work with my Waterman Gentleman but it just falls out. What am I doing wrong? I think this new converter is too big, but I spoke with a Waterman person in their US office who said there is only this one kind available. See photos:

post-22021-0-62013800-1389313896_thumb.jpgpost-22021-0-64087900-1389313912_thumb.jpg

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Yep, they changed to these cheapo converters a few years back. Sometimes you will find one of the old ones in stores that don't sell many. the outer ring of this new converter is wider, but inside the opening is just as wide. You need to give it a good push, I think.

I have 3 types of Waterman converters myself. The two you have in your picture and one of the "wide" variety but with a metal sleeve.

The threaded ones have a narrow nipple , the other are wider, almost identical to the standard international size apart from the slightly shorter nipple. You could try if a standard international size will fit your gentleman...

But sometimes with new converters you need to give it a good push the first time.

Personally I dislike converters because of the flow problems many have. Wish the Pilot CON70 was the international standard.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

D.ick:

I got home and tried the new converter again, this time I pushed pretty hard and gave it a slight twist and that did the trick.

They are cheap and it remains to be seen if it will work as well as the original ones. I'll have to be on the lookout for some of the old converters to have as spares.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.